View Poll Results: Get rid of all 8v8 maps?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, cap the battles at a max of 6v6

20 28.17%
  • Yes, cap the battles at a max of 4v4

2 2.82%
  • No, there is lag in Halo. I'll deal with it.

49 69.01%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Get rid of all 8v8 maps for the wars

The very first battle of the war we played on a big map with 16 players and even though it had lag everyone still played. Now on the last 2 8V8 maps we have switched the player count to 6v6 because we are scared of lag. Ok I realize I'm in the minority and perfer 8v8 gametypes so why are we still playing with 8v8 maps? Why are these maps in the war rotation if we aren't willing to risk lag? Strongside felt small with 6v6, and we never use the whole map in a 6v6 game on exile. Let's just get rid of these maps and cap battles for now on at 6v6 or 4v4 at the highest.

Let the community decide on the issue now and we can bring this back up when Halo 5 comes out.

REDWATCH VETERAN

Website Administrator
    Skynet is PARTIALLY ACTIVE
    RIP Cyberdyne
    RIP Net of the Sky

Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: Mythonian

Re: Get rid of all 8v8 maps for the wars

Maps that work fine with 8v8s with effectively no framerate issues:

Ragnarok
    Vortex
    Longbow
    Meltdown
    Shatter
    Infiltrator
    Ortelius
    Titan

Why should we remove the good maps just because there are one or two maps that have framerate issues for 8v8s?
    Having trouble on the site? Need an Admin?
    PM me or Metkil5685, we're always online...

I go into 8v8 matches on exile on the time with realtively few lag issues. I've had lag on every map you listed including exile, but it never is enough to completely destroy my game experiance.

Since there might be lag on Vortex then shouldn't we just cap it now? It lagged on meltdown last time we played so shouldn't that get a cap as well?

REDWATCH VETERAN

capping for 4v4 would just be retarded and compose lots of problems. Less people = more games. More people = less games and things would run more smoothly.

Edit: and yes I understand that lag is an issue with more people. However it is not the maps fault, tis the shitty host that you are playing with, most of the time.

Website Administrator
    RIP Cyberdyne
    RIP Net of the Sky

Blog Posts
    Livestreams

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Crossfire View Post
    I go into 8v8 matches on exile on the time with realtively few lag issues. I've had lag on every map you listed including exile, but it never is enough to completely destroy my game experiance.

Since there might be lag on Vortex then shouldn't we just cap it now? It lagged on meltdown last time we played so shouldn't that get a cap as well?
    I've never had framerate lag in FC games on Meltdown, Vortex, or the others, and I don't recall hearing about notable framerate issues.

Issues with framerate will be taken on a case-by-case basis.

Forever BLUE
    Forever REDD
    Forever FC
    Blog Posts

We aren't dropping any 8v8 maps mid war. I can promise you that right now lol

I know we just dropped Exile to 6v6, but its one of those maps that is small enough to maintain a solid game.

But maps like Ragnarok(REDDs Cap.) anything less than a 8v8 drags the game out much longer... Have you played Rag. in a 6v6 or less? You hardly ever get to many points if any at all.

When its a small enough map like Exile, then a 6v6 is a good choice. But not when they are huge maps like Rag.

I was born Awesome.
    Everything I do is Awesome. Anything I touch is Awesome.
    I didn't choose the Awesome Life.
    It chose me

Violent by Design

First off the lag being experienced isn't the typical "bad host" lag, it's framerate lag. Halo already runs at 30fps, so any drop from that ruins the entire experience. On Exile during the last war, I pushed into B when there were about 4 enemies and some nades going off and a regen field and experienced what was probably 5fps.

Second of all, I think that these maps have been optimized to play smoothly with the on-disc gametypes. Adding upwards of 3 gametypes, and all the aesthetics that go with them, is what I believe is causing these issues. Even though they're not visible in all gametypes, I think they may still be putting strain on the game. Of course this is all speculation, but when I've played [custom] 8v8s on the on-disc maps, and not the FC variations, I haven't experienced these fps issues.

So my proposal; Use the stock gametypes for each of the maps. This would (in my opinion) add a bit more strategy and foresight for the FMs, as they would have to alter their routes to acquire the necessary amount of gametype wins for the war, since not all gametypes would be available on every map.

Website Administrator
    RIP Cyberdyne
    RIP Net of the Sky

Blog Posts
    Livestreams

Quote Originally Posted by bl4yze View Post
    First off the lag being experienced isn't the typical "bad host" lag, it's framerate lag. Halo already runs at 30fps, so any drop from that ruins the entire experience. On Exile during the last war, I pushed into B when there were about 4 enemies and some nades going off and a regen field and experienced what was probably 5fps.

Second of all, I think that these maps have been optimized to play smoothly with the on-disc gametypes. Adding upwards of 3 gametypes, and all the aesthetics that go with them, is what I believe is causing these issues. Even though they're not visible in all gametypes, I think they may still be putting strain on the game. Of course this is all speculation, but when I've played [custom] 8v8s on the on-disc maps, and not the FC variations, I haven't experienced these fps issues.

So my proposal; Use the stock gametypes for each of the maps. This would (in my opinion) add a bit more strategy and foresight for the FMs, as they would have to alter their routes to acquire the necessary amount of gametype wins for the war, since not all gametypes would be available on every map.
    If you mean that invisible forge objects (such as objectives, spawn points, etc.) are causing issues, then I don't think that's accurate.

The current FC version actually has fewer numbers of forge objects on the map, and actually has lower objects overall. Exile by default was compatible with pretty much all our gametypes. I think we added 2-3 locations for Extraction, and maybe 1-2 for KotH, but we removed the spawns for every other team besides REDD/BLUE and unnecessary respawn zones, as well as the tank and numerous weapon drop locations.

Violent by Design

Quote Originally Posted by Mythonian View Post
    If you mean that invisible forge objects (such as objectives, spawn points, etc.) are causing issues, then I don't think that's accurate.

The current FC version actually has fewer numbers of forge objects on the map, and actually has lower objects overall. Exile by default was compatible with pretty much all our gametypes. I think we added 2-3 locations for Extraction, and maybe 1-2 for KotH, but we removed the spawns for every other team besides REDD/BLUE and unnecessary respawn zones, as well as the tank and numerous weapon drop locations.
    As I said, it was all speculation, however the map sizes do increase when adding forge pieces. I may do a test to see, by putting a bunch of high poly objects in with a certain gametype tag, then open up the map in a different gametype and see if there's any correlation.

I voted on capping at 6v6s because I like smaller maps better, however, getting rid of all of the 8v8s would be a bit extreme in my mind. If anything, make only the capital an 8v8, that way, when the time comes, the capital battle does seem larger in scale.

Some lag is manageable, but there are some cases where maps become unplayable. I think switching a few maps from 8v8s to 6v6s to change that is a good, progressive approach to improve the battles.
    "Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear"

-ZERO SHOTS MISSING-

WH PS ICoH CM DS S EB VC IV

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Thread Information