Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Angry I don't think excessive spawn killing should be allowed.

Spawn killing is a tactic I despise in every shooter I've played. Matches last 15 minutes in FC and last battle night, I sat through 15 grueling minutes of being spawn killed. The only reason I didn't leave was because I didn't want to let my squad down.

Spawn kill also just ruins the game for the team being spawned killed. I just think there should be some rule that limits it, or ends it.
    ~WRP

Forerunner of Fire and Divinity PhoenixPrime's Avatar
    Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: wsxphoenix

Re: I don't think excessive spawn killing should be allowed.

While you do bring up an interesting point, most shooters suffer from this occurrence. The only thing to be done about it would be for the forge team to really tweak the spawn zones and spawn point layout. It's a very difficult thing to accomplish by itself, and really takes hours and hours to fix.

I'd like to hear what others have to say on the matter.

"You must begin by gaining power over yourself; then another; then a group, an order, a world, a species, a group of species; finally, the galaxy itself."

Monday: 4:30-6:30
    Tuesday: 8:00-6:00
    Wednesday: 4:30-6:30
    Thursday: 8:00-11:30 & 3:00-6:30
    Friday: 9:30-6:30

Symbol of Order
    Banana Cannon
    Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: CarpeVexillum

Why does spawn killing happen?

Spawn killing happens when another team over powers, gets map control, or gains the advantage over another team for a significant amount of time. This generally happens on open maps or in open bases.

Can you really stop spawn killing?

Yes and No. The requirement for spawn killing would be that the players who are better or have the advantage would need to stop killing the other team and let them have the advantage. This is not how most shooter games function.

Is this a feasible option?

No. If a team is better at tactics or simply in skill than another team it is not their fault and should not be punished for it. The real problem lies with the balance of player skill, that with custom games is harder to do. And even in matchmaking the TRU SKILL system fails.

What are other options?

We here at FC or most of us anyway always strive to be better. Practice and become better with tactics and at the game. Recruit better players if your army happens to be down on them or become that player. But of course negotiating a better matching system as far as skill goes. (aka a ranking system for each squad). Or creating unreachable areas on these open maps and bases near spawn that are hidden or protected.

The nitty gritty. . .

It's very hard to balance this sort of issue, most of the time if you face a group better than yours, you just have to bear through it and realize this is all about fun as much as it is about competition.
    Last edited by Carpe Vexillum; 05-28-2013 at 11:08 PM.

I am Tsundere.
    (ツンデレ) a character type that describes a person who is initially cold and even hostile towards another person before gradually showing their warm side over time.

Violent by Design

As ideal as it sounds that seems like something that cannot be changed.
    Last edited by ThatAwkardGuy; 05-28-2013 at 11:25 PM.

What I do is simply stay in and control the middle of the map. On maps where you are either in your spawn, the middle, or the enemy spawn it is kind of hard not to spawn kill since you only have 3 places to be and one place would get you spawn killed.

I only attempt to spawn kill when the enemy is trying to spawn kill my team or when the enemy won't come to me ( I go to them).

Then again I know how frustrating being spawn killed is so I try my best not to do it to other players.

P.S. Non-linear maps will help against spawn killing.
    ~WRP

There is an option to give someone special traits for the first "X" seconds after they re spawn. Though I wouldn't support it, there is /actually/ something there that would stop it.

But no one wakes up in the morning and says "I'm going to win by spawn killing". People are naturally going to kill who they see in a game, if it's because you just spawned, so be it, they don't know that. But people aren't specifically using it "as a tactic". It's just an occurrence.

Virtus Tentamine Gaudet
    FM For 6 wars spanning 3 generations

Blog Posts

I'm right there with you West. We were in those games together and I too didn't rage quit due to not wanting to let my team down. There was just no fun at all in those matches..
    "Pollen is bee semen, right?" -PolychromeVirus, 2016

"Your forefathers wisely set aside their compassion. Steeled themselves for what needed to be done.
    I see now why they left you behind. You were weak, and gods must be strong." -Prophet of Truth

There are plenty of things you can do to get out of being spawn killed. It just comes down to recognizing what to do in those scenarios. As for stopping spawn camping all together, I don't think the team that fought to get map controlled should be punished. It would diminish the importance of map control. Your team should be punished for not being able to get map control.
    "Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear"

-ZERO SHOTS MISSING-

WH PS ICoH CM DS S EB VC IV

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by riphelix View Post
    I'm right there with you West. We were in those games together and I too didn't rage quit due to not wanting to let my team down. There was just no fun at all in those matches..
    There was just no fun at all in those matches..
    Isn't this community founded on the ideal of respectful fun? I hardly think our current rotation system works to uphold this. When pro teams are let lose upon the more casual Halo players, how is that meant to be fun for the team who is getting absolutely destroyed? The retention rate for new members who are casual Halo players is going to drop if this keeps happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Guzzie View Post
    Your team should be punished for not being able to get map control.
    This should help further drive my point. We shouldn't be "punishing" casual Halo players for not being pro players.
    "You cannot judge me; I am Justice itself!
    We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent!
    But if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother!"

"Also, is English your first language? I want to be sure we're communication clearly here."

"I want to be sure we're communication clearly here."

"we're communication clearly here."

- Jam Cliché

Quote Originally Posted by UEG Urias View Post
    Isn't this community founded on the ideal of respectful fun? I hardly think our current rotation system works to uphold this. When pro teams are let lose upon the more casual Halo players, how is that meant to be fun for the team who is getting absolutely destroyed? The retention rate for new members who are casual Halo players is going to drop if this keeps happening.

This should help further drive my point. We shouldn't be "punishing" casual Halo players for not being pro players.
    Eh, urias we talked about this, for the most part LR has just been getting unlucky... And I know that's not a satisfying answer, but it is what it is...

As for having "professional" or competitive teams be involved, that comes down to a recruitment issue.

Virtus Tentamine Gaudet
    FM For 6 wars spanning 3 generations

Thread Information