Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fabled Legendary Member
    I Like Turtles!
    I Live in an Igloo!
    Blog Posts

Re: Elder Scrolls Online

I too was pissed when I found out that my dog had a subscription fee... that bastard makes me buy pet food on a monthly basis!
    "Do you guys know how hard it is to masturbate with you all talking!" - UNLUCKY

Former Field Marshal of both the REDD and BLUE
    Creator of 21st Degree and the Resistance
    7 victories fought and lead

Quote Originally Posted by VerbotenDonkey View Post
    And my wallet will be $15 a month fuller because of it.
    To spend on something else equal in value.

Virtus Tentamine Gaudet
    FM For 6 wars spanning 3 generations

game looks good but not with monthly fees that is 180 dollers per year, that is more then xbox live

I could work an extra half an hour a week to make up that cost. Anything entertainment we do costs money.

Although, $60 release price is a bit much with the subscription. FFXIV:ARR charged $20 for the game up front, but it came with a free month, and the subscription is $12.99/month.

...But MMO games depreciate like a mofo in terms of entry price. A month after release you'll probably be able to buy the game itself for $30, which will come with a free month. Anything under that is unrealistic in terms of MMOs.

Realize that your $15/month pays for essentially streroid-DLC every other week. MMOs are developed over time as much as they are pre-release. Would you pay $15/month for Halo if they released 8 completely new, fully developed maps every month for everyone?

A movie ticket costs $10 here, and is only worth 1-2 hours of entertainment. A meal at a cheap fast food restaurant is $7.50. I'd rather pay $15/month for a game that gets massive updates every other week and stays fresh for years to come than $60 on a game that everyone stops playing after 2 months before moving on to the next $60 game that, again, everyone stops playing after 2 months.
    Last edited by Anarchy; 02-22-2014 at 10:49 AM.

Virtus Tentamine Gaudet

Blog Posts

Honestly, I do pay 15 a month for WoW with my co-workers, when I am working. But since I don't work during the semester, it just hemorrhages my bank account haha. Still, and I know it's personal preference, WoW is still better for the 15 a month than Elder Scrolls. I didn't get to play end-game from ESO, but what I played I wasn't impressed with enough to pay a subscription fee like that.

But, for consoles it's fine since you don't have to pay the fee.
    Joined April 2007
    Founder of the LARP
    Founder of the Imperial Office of Naval Intelligence
    Squads led:
    Halo 3 Era: XO of Wolf Squad, CO of Nova Squad
    Halo Reach Era: CO of 1st Marines Platoon, CO of Foxtrot Squad, CO of Wolfpack Squad, CO of REDWATCH Special Forces
    Halo 4 Era: CO of REDWATCH Special Forces, Director of Imperial Office of Naval Intelligence and Project ARTEMIS, CO of the Dark Sail Raiders
    Halo 5 Era: CO of REDWATCH Special Forces

Quote Originally Posted by VerbotenDonkey View Post
    Honestly, I do pay 15 a month for WoW with my co-workers, when I am working. But since I don't work during the semester, it just hemorrhages my bank account haha. Still, and I know it's personal preference, WoW is still better for the 15 a month than Elder Scrolls. I didn't get to play end-game from ESO, but what I played I wasn't impressed with enough to pay a subscription fee like that.

But, for consoles it's fine since you don't have to pay the fee.
    The fee is there for all systems.

But like I said. If you wait a month or two and pick the game itself up for $30, it's worth it (first month is free as well). You're getting new content all the time. You can always cancel the sub when you're busy, then pick it back up.

I played it. It's good and worth it IMO. Especially considering how much of the world they play to open up.

Virtus Tentamine Gaudet

Blog Posts

While I get the point you are making no mmo pumps out content as fast as you are saying they do. Content patchs are generally in a 2/3 month bases for most mmos. Been playing mmos for 8 years and not a single one pumps out content every other week or every month

REDD or BLUE Resistance comes through!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythonian View Post
    Silko isn't an innate troublemaker, and doesn't intentionally break the rules.
    Co-Founder of the Resistance
    Undefeated on Reach

Quote Originally Posted by Silko View Post
    While I get the point you are making no mmo pumps out content as fast as you are saying they do. Content patchs are generally in a 2/3 month bases for most mmos. Been playing mmos for 8 years and not a single one pumps out content every other week or every month
    Lots do. Not giant title updates, but content and support yes.

Virtus Tentamine Gaudet

Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
    Lots do. Not giant title updates, but content and support yes.
    There is a difference between maintenance patches and small balance patches and content patches. Do MMOs patch frequently? Yes but only to maintain or correct bugs. Major content patches like new zones, new PvP areas or raids come out generally 2 to 3 months at a time.

I will use SWTOR as an example. They have done two major content updates since October. 2.4 the Dread Wars which introduced two new raids which are fairly challenging and very fun and changed the Ranked PvP system to a 4v4 deathmatch system and several maps to support it. Now between 2.4 and 2.5 they had 11 patchs. Two where launcher updates and the rest where to help deal with bugs that came with 2.4 and some bugs that have been around for a while. 2.5 came out on Dec. 3rd 2 months after 2.4. This introduced a free expansion, a space expansion. It was available to subs on the day it came out. SWTOR has 3 member stances, Subs, subs that now play for free or someone who spent some type of money and lastly Free to Play that haven't spent a dime. Former subs aka Prefer to Play where able to use the expansion some time in Jan and F2P are now able to use it with the current update 2.6 which came out Feb 4th. Along with 2.6 came a very shitty 4 man dungeon and a few more maps for the DLC. Over all 2.6 was very lean on content. SWTOR does not get another major patch aka 2.7 until Late April and 2.8 in June. So over all it follows the major content update every 2/3 months and has smaller updates to correct bugs and do small class balances along the way. But not every game does the major update every 2/3 months. WoW isn't putting out a single content patch until it's next expansion, which comes out June of this year but was relieved fall of last year. So that is over half a year of NO CONTENT patches

Over all, MMOs give content every once in a while not every other week.

REDD or BLUE Resistance comes through!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythonian View Post
    Silko isn't an innate troublemaker, and doesn't intentionally break the rules.
    Co-Founder of the Resistance
    Undefeated on Reach

I really dislike most free to play games, I just keep thinking about money while I'm playing them. Am I not level ok by as fast because I didn't pay? Did he beat me because he bought better gear? Just don't lik it. If the game is good I'll gladly pay monthly for it.

Thread Information