Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Posts

Re: Elder Scrolls Online

More and more MMOs are going to the Free to Play model because it can earn more revenue then a Pay to Play model. They make thier money on micro transactions. Some games have gone with a very strict version of this like SWTOR while other games such as GW2 and STO have gone with more giving versions. STO is by far the most giving out of all the F2P MMOs. Only difference between a sub and unsub are the following: Subs are put on top of the log in que, Subs get a monthly stipend of coins for the micro transactions store. Thats it. While other games like SWTOR limit you. Subs get the full game and the monthly stipend and the que priority. Prefer to Play only get a few things that Free to PLay do not. They get to hold more in game cash then Free to PLayers and can have more character slots. Free to Players do NOT get to take part of Raids unless they buy a weekly pass, they can only hold a very small amount of in game cash, they are limited to the amount of PvP they can do and the amount of dungeons they can do and they get a XP minus. They do not get all the rewards for quest and a large amount of quality of life items and customizations are not available to F2P. So if you are going to go F2P on a game look up the differences of sub vs unsub before you make your decision

REDD or BLUE Resistance comes through!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythonian View Post
    Silko isn't an innate troublemaker, and doesn't intentionally break the rules.
    Co-Founder of the Resistance
    Undefeated on Reach

SWTOR isn't pay to play, so their frequency of content updates can't be compared. FFXIV, for instance, releases new events, quests, and content monthly, and is entirely P2P. Dungeons are always being upgraded, since the game has come out they've added an immense PVP system, the best player owned housing system I've ever seen, nearly doubled the dungeon count, added endgame content, and had about 4 holiday/miscellaneous events.

Microtransactions are a cheap way of milking the game that has already been made. More and more, MMOs are funded by investors looking to profit rather than make a good game. So as soon as subscriptions die out, microtransactions come in so more people play, and more people who are already hooked on the game spend. In the meantime, development is shoddy and the MMO ends up as a cash cow game that never develops further. It's not a sustainable model, so we get unsustainable MMOs.

Subscription based games live longer. WoW, Runescape, etc. Some with F2P and microtransactions work out as well, but there isn't nearly as much support or quality.

Virtus Tentamine Gaudet
    FM For 6 wars spanning 3 generations

Throughout this entire thread I have agreed with anarchy like 99%. Literally I would rather play a game that's subscription based rather then the free to play, BUT if you buy this you automatically become better then every-other free to play member. This is a person who has played over atleast like 12 MMO's atleast. So idk, i still think its worth it elder scrolls is one of the best series to ever come out and I believe its well worth the monthly membership, plus I doubt they will honestly keep that.

Creator of Vanquish
    #BlameFuzzy

[12:58:35 AM] Silky Tits: Fuzz
    [12:58:46 AM] Silky Tits: Have you ever eaten shit?
    [12:59:02 AM] Greg: Well I have listened to your words for so long

Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
    SWTOR isn't pay to play, so their frequency of content updates can't be compared. FFXIV, for instance, releases new events, quests, and content monthly, and is entirely P2P. Dungeons are always being upgraded, since the game has come out they've added an immense PVP system, the best player owned housing system I've ever seen, nearly doubled the dungeon count, added endgame content, and had about 4 holiday/miscellaneous events.

Microtransactions are a cheap way of milking the game that has already been made. More and more, MMOs are funded by investors looking to profit rather than make a good game. So as soon as subscriptions die out, microtransactions come in so more people play, and more people who are already hooked on the game spend. In the meantime, development is shoddy and the MMO ends up as a cash cow game that never develops further. It's not a sustainable model, so we get unsustainable MMOs.

Subscription based games live longer. WoW, Runescape, etc. Some with F2P and microtransactions work out as well, but there isn't nearly as much support or quality.
    I'm not trying to state that F2P is better then P2P. But this idea that all P2P games pump out content at the speed that you are suggesting is a false premise. As for the SWTOR example, it is a valid example as the game is still a Pay to Play game as you have to pay in order to have access to the full game. F2P players get access to maybe 50% of the game. If you like leveling toons and don't want to pay for it then SWTOR is the game to play. As to what Devon said, I personally do not support any Pay to Win system and that is not a system that should not be supported as it is not a sustainable model

Undefeated on Reach

Quote Originally Posted by Relapsive View Post
    Throughout this entire thread I have agreed with anarchy like 99%. Literally I would rather play a game that's subscription based rather then the free to play, BUT if you buy this you automatically become better then every-other free to play member. This is a person who has played over atleast like 12 MMO's atleast. So idk, i still think its worth it elder scrolls is one of the best series to ever come out and I believe its well worth the monthly membership, plus I doubt they will honestly keep that.
    Given how popular Elder Scrolls is, price decreases would probably raise their revenue and player count a lot. It isn't a hardcore MMO after all, either cheap initial game price or cheaper subscriptions are almost inevitable.

Virtus Tentamine Gaudet
    FM For 6 wars spanning 3 generations

Ps. They are going to be having another beta this weekend and you can bring a friend if you have previously been accepted!

Creator of Vanquish
    #BlameFuzzy

Elite BLUE Veteran
    Spirit of Hope
    Vacuus Quietis
    Psalms of Planets
    Blog Posts

no fuck off
    "I bought a xbox one to watch my team suck in HD"

Fabled Legendary Member
    I Like Turtles!
    I Live in an Igloo!
    Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Sapien View Post
    no fuck off
    2 week ban?
    "Do you guys know how hard it is to masturbate with you all talking!" - UNLUCKY

Former Field Marshal of both the REDD and BLUE
    Creator of 21st Degree and the Resistance
    7 victories fought and lead

Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    2 week ban?

Undefeated on Reach

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    2 week ban?

Creator of Vanquish
    #BlameFuzzy

Thread Information