Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: kazinsser

MCC Mockup Warmap

So we all have ideas brewing as we move toward the release of the Master Chief Collection, and a common topic brought up is how we'll adjust the current Warmap system to accommodate the huge amount of maps that will be available in the MCC. Balancing map variety with logistical concerns is probably the biggest challenge when considering people's ideas.

This idea I believe strikes a good balance between the two. Before I go on to explain the details here is an example of what it could look like, for reference. (I did a close-up of the central sector because I didn't want to put lots of time into a full map without knowing how it would be received.)

Basically instead of singular planets inside each sector, there will instead be planet "clusters". There will be one active planet per cluster (the one that isn't grayed out, obviously). When that cluster is successfully taken in a Primary battle, the active map will rotate clockwise to the next map in the cluster. We could have some sort of Auxiliary offensive purchase that would allow the active map to rotate in an Auxiliary but it should have a downside that's large enough to discourage frequent use.

This kind of system would allow us to have a much greater variety of maps without adding much complication. And we'd stop having those wars where Haven/Guardian/etc are fought over repeatedly for have the war. Keeping the Warmap layout the same would also allow everyone's AP experience to carry over, while (possibly) adding more strategy to the Primary attacks.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by KazuhLLL; 07-16-2014 at 01:33 AM.

Re: MCC Mockup Warmap

Now that's just crazy. Lol. Idk what to think about this, but it will make the wars last longer if we keep the current system. But great thought Kaz.

Blog Posts

Me likey. I already suggested to myth about the possibility of going 3D with the map. Four maps for each of the four halos on top of each other. The caps being at the poles of the map. Just an idea. I know it would be really fucking hard to do and the attack planning would go to a much higher level.

REDD or BLUE Resistance comes through!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythonian View Post
    Silko isn't an innate troublemaker, and doesn't intentionally break the rules.
    Co-Founder of the Resistance
    Undefeated on Reach

This is actually a really good idea!
    "Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now."

Quote Originally Posted by Silko View Post
    Me likey. I already suggested to myth about the possibility of going 3D with the map. Four maps for each of the four halos on top of each other. The caps being at the poles of the map. Just an idea. I know it would be really fucking hard to do and the attack planning would go to a much higher level.
    Checkmate, motherfucker.

I would like this explained a bit further (Kaz's proposal). Not sure I entirely understand.
    Former Field Marshal and General of the BLUE Army
    The Undisputed "Race" Champion of the Forerunner Conflict's 8th Anniversary Celebrations

Click here to buy some awesome apparel! Half of the profit from FC-related swag goes right back to FC!

Double D Masters
    Darksail 5weg
    Buying GF
    Kickstart Xbone pl1x

I approve.

Founder of Forerunner Conflict
    Blog Posts

I'm loving this idea. Obviously this is just a basic foundation, but it can be elaborated upon more as the game nears. But this is a really good starting point for a new and unique set up that will allow our wars to be more fun, balanced, and hopefully not too complicated to incorporate.

I created Hill 30

Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: kazinsser

Quote Originally Posted by Silko View Post
    Your mention of 3D chess is what led me down this train of thought! I initially tried designing some sort of actual 3D Warmap but I couldn't find a way for it to easily make sense. So I gave up on that and tried to implement some sort of 3D thinking in a 2D Warmap.

I like it

Unique!
    You are not a godless fucking moron
    You are still a moron but not a godless fucking one
    - Silko, 2016

Thread Information