Skynet is PARTIALLY ACTIVE
    RIP Cyberdyne
    RIP Net of the Sky

Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: Mythonian

Re: Why MCC Will Hurt FC

Quote Originally Posted by Houdini View Post
    Another thing to consider is how the transition away from warsim has correlated with an increase in disrespectful behavior. If you haven't been told yet, there have been way too many infractions and just general disrespectful behavior in this last war. I'm not saying the cause of all this is the fact that we are losing the warsim feel, but it sure looks like there is a strong correlation.
    Actually, being here for 5 years, there is much less disrespect now and recently then there was at other times, such as the end of Halo 3 and various parts of Reach. We've made punishments harsher and harsher for some reason, even though in general there's much less reason for it then there used to be.

The drama, flame wars, and general disrespect was so much worse in the past. We used to have to lock battle results topics just to avoid people flaming and insulting each other after battles. This last year it hasn't gotten nearly that bad.

Although to be brutally honest, this "transition away from warsim" stuff you all are talking about, isn't really totally true. Since I joined in Halo 3, we never had this strict, serious warsim atmosphere throughout the entire community. It's always been in specific squads or companies. Even back then, at certain times there were "casual attitudes toward FMs" as Zeta said (especially in BLUE), or times where 14-15 year olds have been in HC, as Sicario said (Johnkilla even got elected as FM at 15, but WC overruled it and put Max as FM).

The warsim atmosphere in REDWATCH, for instance, was mostly only in REDWATCH. Sometimes an FM and HC would spread it throughout the entire army, but never was it universal. It changed with leadership changes, it changed with squad changes, etc. For those of you who want to help bring it back, work to get into HC positions and actually make those changes. Pointing out something being gone won't bring it back, you've got to be proactive and productive to bring it back.
    Having trouble on the site? Need an Admin?
    PM me or Metkil5685, we're always online...

Quote Originally Posted by Mythonian View Post
    Even back then, at certain times there were "casual attitudes toward FMs" as Zeta said (especially in BLUE), or times where 14-15 year olds have been in HC, as Sicario said (Johnkilla even got elected as FM at 15, but WC overruled it and put Max as FM).
    Kinda off-topic. But I do have to say this about that WC:

Best. Decision. Ever.

On topic, Mythonian's totes right, as per the usual.
    Former Field Marshal and General of the BLUE Army
    The Undisputed "Race" Champion of the Forerunner Conflict's 8th Anniversary Celebrations

Click here to buy some awesome apparel! Half of the profit from FC-related swag goes right back to FC!

Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Toast78901 View Post
    To which my response is as it always has been when someone says that: Then it is time to rebrand. Nothing but harm in making claims we aren't delivering on. Either rebrand or become more like a WARSIM. Anything other than those two options is pretty much lying to recruits.
    So clearly you and I have different ideas on what a WARSIM is. Last I check we simulate wars. So we are a WARSIM. Rebranding is not necessary because we do exactly what we call ourselves. Now are we as military like as we use to back in REACH? No. I believe this has been caused by several things. 1) Firestrom. Firestorm caused the community to go all over the place, during which the survivors became much more familiar with one another. This familiarity made people less rigid. Kinda ironic seeing as one of the goals of OP FS was to make it more military like. 2) Lack of experienced officers. Over time more and more newer members became officers despite being here for a very short amount of time. That was mostly caused by the fact that many of the older members had to step down and a large hole needed to be filled. These newer officers help create a much more relaxed feel to the community, mostly due to the fact that they had not been around enough to know how we use to operate. I'm not stating that this a bad thing and I am not saying these officers did a bad job. 3) The state of Halo. As more and more people leave halo, only the more die hard halo fans stuck around. Meaning we had aim for more quantity over quality to make sure the community has a some what stable income of recruits. But this also drove retention into the ground as many of these recruits washed out.

In the end, rebranding is not going to be this magic bullet. We do what we say we do. We simulate wars through the sunday battles and the strats on the map through aux battles. We are military themed as we use a military based ranked structure. The question here is how much of a military theme do we wish to create. My vote is to go more like the REACH days but maintain the familiarity we currently have now. Do not create this idea where the officers are above everyone. Do not attempt to divide the community.

REDD or BLUE Resistance comes through!
    Silko isn't an innate troublemaker, and doesn't intentionally break the rules.
    Co-Founder of the Resistance
    Undefeated on Reach

Animus 4 Ever
    SpcX
    Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: jamidj

Max for FM
    ۰۪۫J۰۰۪۫a۰۰۪۫m۰۰۪۫i ۰۰۪۫e۰۰۪۫D۰۰۪۫ J۰Purple Army Elite Trooper
    What We Do In Life, Echos in Eternity.

Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: kazinsser

For those of you who want to help bring it back, work to get into HC positions and actually make those changes. Pointing out something being gone won't bring it back, you've got to be proactive and productive to bring it back.
    ^This. Along with the rest of what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Silko View Post
    So clearly you and I have different ideas on what a WARSIM is. Last I check we simulate wars. So we are a WARSIM. Rebranding is not necessary because we do exactly what we call ourselves. Now are we as military like as we use to back in REACH? No. I believe this has been caused by several things. 1) Firestrom. Firestorm caused the community to go all over the place, during which the survivors became much more familiar with one another. This familiarity made people less rigid. Kinda ironic seeing as one of the goals of OP FS was to make it more military like. 2) Lack of experienced officers. Over time more and more newer members became officers despite being here for a very short amount of time. That was mostly caused by the fact that many of the older members had to step down and a large hole needed to be filled. These newer officers help create a much more relaxed feel to the community, mostly due to the fact that they had not been around enough to know how we use to operate. I'm not stating that this a bad thing and I am not saying these officers did a bad job. 3) The state of Halo. As more and more people leave halo, only the more die hard halo fans stuck around. Meaning we had aim for more quantity over quality to make sure the community has a some what stable income of recruits. But this also drove retention into the ground as many of these recruits washed out.

In the end, rebranding is not going to be this magic bullet. We do what we say we do. We simulate wars through the sunday battles and the strats on the map through aux battles. We are military themed as we use a military based ranked structure. The question here is how much of a military theme do we wish to create. My vote is to go more like the REACH days but maintain the familiarity we currently have now. Do not create this idea where the officers are above everyone. Do not attempt to divide the community.
    And once again I find myself agreeing with Silko. Damn dude you are on a roll this week! lol

As for the "get into HC and make the changes," you best make sure the community is ok with the change else you will cause people to get salty and leave.
    "Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now."

Reclaimer of the Mantle Graycochea's Avatar

Mythonian is so right. When I was in BLUE and Anarchy was FM, I didn't feel like he was an unapproachable Field Marshall, I felt like he was a bro in a leadership position. When I first joined REDD, VerbotenDonkey was the unapproachable leader of REDWATCH who I made sure to respect. That's changed by now, of course, but that original REDWATCH respect is still there. And don't even get me started on Ghosthammer. I've never thought about it, but it's kind of weird/cool how there's those changes depending on the squad and the army you're in.
    Quote Originally Posted by VerbotenDonkey View Post
    Well, guess I'll refer Gray then.
    Quote Originally Posted by W3z4b1 View Post
    Gray for FM
    "Full circle. A new terror born in death,
    a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend."

Thread Information