Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Is Destiny actually that good?

So is it? The story is kinda just clunked together. I love playing against level 25s when I'm a level 9 -_- The ships, armor, and guns kinda look like repaints of the same model a lot of the time. The mini-bosses die so fast. The main bosses just sponge bullets. Why is it so good? I love Destiny yet the game has problems that kinda are just there.
    Last edited by NervyDestroyer; 09-27-2014 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Would rather type it myself
    "Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now."

Re: Is Destiny actually that good?

Jesus that is one annoying person if I've ever seen one. Couldn't even watch more than ten seconds.

Just for the record, I think destiny still looks like titanfall v2.
    Quote Originally Posted by THExSPIDERMAN View Post
    Such is life.

Reach Tage

I tried watching the video but I couldn't even get past 5 minutes. I think that may be a record for this video.
    First off I am going to say this and it goes for anyone complaining about any game (warning this may turn into a rant).

If you have any complaint about any game at all, no matter what it is, and you think you could do it better? THEN GO MAKE THE GAME YOURSELF! Does anyone even realise how hard it is anymore to make a game as huge as destiny is or many other games like it. This has been years in the making.

But lets go over some of the arguements I have heard for this game and lets see my response.

1) The game is too much like other games. (ie. Halo, borderlands, etc.)

Well of course it will be. Almost every new idea out there can be related to another game because almost every type of game has been done already. You can make almost any connection between any game if you really wanted to.

2) The story is too short and doesn't explain a whole lot.

Well whoever says this is completely missing the whole point of what games like this do. Have you heard of the grimoires? Yeah that weird score thing that keeps popping up you know nothing about. Well that is actually linked to your profile on bungie.net where you can go look at cards you have unlocked. and guess what? On each card it tells about the background and story. So just like some other games have (such as dark souls and borderlands) you have to read some item descriptions to get some more of the lore going on.But guess they were just too lazy to actually go figure that out

3. It is a grind fest to get materials or get levels.

No shit sherlock. Have you ever played an MMO before?

4. the RNG is crap.

Okay this one makes me laugh every single time. For those of you who don't know RNG means random number generatation. Which means that every time you kill something or complete a mission or finish a crucible match you have a random chance at getting something. People are complaining because they are impatient and want all the good gear now instead of waiting for it. Here is my words to them. What part of the random in RNG do not get? IT means random for a reason. Don't like it? Well sucks to be you then cause RNG is in a lot of games now.

5. All the enemies are so repetitive.

Now this one is retarded just from looking at it but I did some research to prove my point on it. Did you know in Destiny there are actually 23 different enemy types, not including bosses or drop ships. Yeah I counted them. Did you know Halo 4 only has about 8 different enemy types with a few different colors. So there is that for logic. Won't list them all but you can look it up yourself.

6. The story isn't long enough and they are making us pay for expansions.

I have heard this from the same people who will go out and buy every COD and all their DLCs every year. but anyways. The story actually does take a while if you don't blast through the whole thing it does take a while. And even after you get through all that, the real game starts once you get up past level 20. There is so more more things to do and accomplish. All that random stuff you thought was useless before now finally becomes useful. You get so much gear, harder missions to accomplish. You think that boss was easy at level 4? Try him again at level 20 or even level 28 and see how much of a challenge it is. And if that isn't enough for you. Bungie has been releasing free, let me repeat that, FREE CONTENT since the game came out and are continuing to do it so there should be no complaints at all that there is nothing to do.

So there it is my rant about it. Destiny is an amazing game and it is only going to get better. I am completely hooked on it and have only scratched the surface with one character. Now stop complaining about games and just do what we are suppose to do... enjoy them. That is all. Chill Out.

Edit: since you edited your post when I was posting mine I didn't get to see it. Did you know in pvp they make everyone more on an even playing field? I am a level 27 and can still be killed by level 7s just as easily as I can by a level 28. That arguement is invalid. Please look it up before you complain about it

Quote Originally Posted by ChillSquishster View Post
    I tried watching the video but I couldn't even get past 5 minutes. I think that may be a record for this video.
    First off I am going to say this and it goes for anyone complaining about any game (warning this may turn into a rant).

If you have any complaint about any game at all, no matter what it is, and you think you could do it better? THEN GO MAKE THE GAME YOURSELF! Does anyone even realise how hard it is anymore to make a game as huge as destiny is or many other games like it. This has been years in the making.

But lets go over some of the arguements I have heard for this game and lets see my response.

1) The game is too much like other games. (ie. Halo, borderlands, etc.)

Well of course it will be. Almost every new idea out there can be related to another game because almost every type of game has been done already. You can make almost any connection between any game if you really wanted to.

2) The story is too short and doesn't explain a whole lot.

Well whoever says this is completely missing the whole point of what games like this do. Have you heard of the grimoires? Yeah that weird score thing that keeps popping up you know nothing about. Well that is actually linked to your profile on bungie.net where you can go look at cards you have unlocked. and guess what? On each card it tells about the background and story. So just like some other games have (such as dark souls and borderlands) you have to read some item descriptions to get some more of the lore going on.But guess they were just too lazy to actually go figure that out

3. It is a grind fest to get materials or get levels.

No shit sherlock. Have you ever played an MMO before?

4. the RNG is crap.

Okay this one makes me laugh every single time. For those of you who don't know RNG means random number generatation. Which means that every time you kill something or complete a mission or finish a crucible match you have a random chance at getting something. People are complaining because they are impatient and want all the good gear now instead of waiting for it. Here is my words to them. What part of the random in RNG do not get? IT means random for a reason. Don't like it? Well sucks to be you then cause RNG is in a lot of games now.

5. All the enemies are so repetitive.

Now this one is retarded just from looking at it but I did some research to prove my point on it. Did you know in Destiny there are actually 23 different enemy types, not including bosses or drop ships. Yeah I counted them. Did you know Halo 4 only has about 8 different enemy types with a few different colors. So there is that for logic. Won't list them all but you can look it up yourself.

6. The story isn't long enough and they are making us pay for expansions.

I have heard this from the same people who will go out and buy every COD and all their DLCs every year. but anyways. The story actually does take a while if you don't blast through the whole thing it does take a while. And even after you get through all that, the real game starts once you get up past level 20. There is so more more things to do and accomplish. All that random stuff you thought was useless before now finally becomes useful. You get so much gear, harder missions to accomplish. You think that boss was easy at level 4? Try him again at level 20 or even level 28 and see how much of a challenge it is. And if that isn't enough for you. Bungie has been releasing free, let me repeat that, FREE CONTENT since the game came out and are continuing to do it so there should be no complaints at all that there is nothing to do.

So there it is my rant about it. Destiny is an amazing game and it is only going to get better. I am completely hooked on it and have only scratched the surface with one character. Now stop complaining about games and just do what we are suppose to do... enjoy them. That is all. Chill Out.

Edit: since you edited your post when I was posting mine I didn't get to see it. Did you know in pvp they make everyone more on an even playing field? I am a level 27 and can still be killed by level 7s just as easily as I can by a level 28. That arguement is invalid. Please look it up before you complain about it
    Well worded. I'm not complaining just to complain mind you. These are just some things I noticed playing through the game. It's much more difficult to kill a level 25 when you are a level 9 that everyone can agree on. Level 25 will do some crazy ass acrobatics and teleportations and I'm just like "I can throw a grenade..." Perhaps they could better balance the teams so it's not so "Pro vs. noob." Never bitched about the Expansions and free stuff. You are correct, enemies are not repetitive, though the bosses either stand there and sponge or die very quickly. I actually like the way the RNG is set up. Not a big grinder, but fuck it killing things can be fun. My biggest issue is that the story is so badly structured. I get the whole grimoire thing being a ME fan with that long-ass codex. Destiny just doesn't explain anything at all throughout the story missions. Why am I getting this thing and what will it do? I kinda just wish we got more context into what we were doing. The load times are a bit long also, but that's to be expected with newer tech anyway. It's been said that the game really takes off at level 20, so I'm hoping that the raids are as good as Myth and Anarchy were saying. Also don't insult me for offering a bit of criticism on some glaring things that annoy the piss out of me while I'm playing.
    "Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now."

Useless without Toast Jam Cliché's Avatar
    Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: jamcliche

The AngryJoe video actually countered every apologetic point in this thread so far, but apparently nobody had the patience to watch it. lol

Real power comes from the man next to you and is built on the foundations of brotherhood and unity. There is no such thing as a one man army.

Well then you tell me how he countered every point because i think i made it perfectly clear when i said "if he doesn't like it then he can go make it himself and see if he does better"

And Nervy I wasn't targeting you specifically even tho it may have come off that way. I just have heard so many criticisms over destiny that i finally wanted to voice my opinion on it and defend it because it is a game that I love

Elite BLUE Veteran
    Spirit of Hope
    Vacuus Quietis
    Psalms of Planets
    Blog Posts

game is garbage
    "I bought a xbox one to watch my team suck in HD"

I'm gonna try to stay as neutral as possible, as I have not actually played it. But naturally there's going to be some bias either way.

For Destiny
    If Destiny is supposed to be this awesome new MMO, problems at the start are to be expected, just like with any other MMO, or really, any other game in general. The way I see it, Destiny will become better as time progresses. Look at any other MMO when they started. Most of them were a lot worse off than Destiny. The main problem for Bungie at the moment is the sheer amount of people who were playing this game from day one. More people at the start means more chances of big problems being found quicker. This doesn't mean Destiny is bad. All it shows to me is that lots of nosy people are playing it. MMOs grow way more than any other genre of games, but this also takes quite a lot longer. If this is going to be an 8 year game, there's got to be a lot that even Bungie doesn't know about yet. It's that far away. You can never expect a day one MMO to have as much playing value as another MMO that's been out for years. From what people are saying about it, though, Destiny could have had a bit more in it to start with, to keep everyone happy.

I have seen quite a bit of gameplay, and Destiny looks rather exciting. There seems to be something for most people, whether it be PvP, PvE, or just exploring. Obviously, I can't talk through experience, but I do have a general idea on the game. I want to play it. I don't mind grinding 4 or 5 hours just to get one thing, as long as it's worth it. I like the idea of having PvP so I can try out my new collection on others. This game is trying to be very diverse. Give it time to fix the things that it hasn't quite hit the spot on, then criticize the game as a whole, rather than the individual bad things.

Against Destiny
    The only problem with the PvP is that it, for the best experience, requires a lot of grinding first, which I don't really like the idea of. I would much rather prefer myself being matched up against players at my level, then to grind my way into the arenas. I know that the game has a balancing system in place, but as Nervy said, it still doesn't make it completely fair. Nades won't do anything to players who can do some crazy crap to get out of the way. I feel that instead of nerfing the top players and making them feel cheated, which ruins the whole point of getting their awesome guns in the first place, separate lobbies need to be there for people who have grinded for hours on end to get to level 20, and the people who just started, or don't want to.

As for the boredom, I'm pretty sure someone else said this quite recently, but this game was classified as a shooter MMO. This really raises the warning flags for me straight away. Look at the two genres side by side. MMOs are slow-paced, grind-till-it's-3am type games, where shooters are these fast-paced, action packed games that are designed to be quick and exciting. Both sides definitely show their weak points when they are merged into one game, like they have in Destiny. The shooter heads are, for the most part, into their fast action, and couldn't care for grinding. They want their $60 worth of game now! Not in a month, not in a week. They want it NOW. In one sitting. This makes the 'grinding' for them extremely boring, as it's not what they are used to, nor is it 'what they paid for', in a sense.

This is just my generalisation about the situation, and I definitely wasn't aiming that at anyone in particular at all.

Australia: Where 90% of animals are trying to kill you. The other 10% just do it by accident.

[8:10:37 AM] riphelix: Nova I need too borrow your accent tomorrow please, I got a date and I wanna impress her
    [8:11:07 AM] Nervy: Sex guaranteed!!

Useless without Toast Jam Cliché's Avatar
    Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: jamcliche

Quote Originally Posted by ChillSquishster View Post
    Well then you tell me how he countered every point
    That's not my job. xD The video is there, I'm not gonna type a transcript. I'll give you something though. My counter to your points.

1) Destiny promised, even swore, to bring something new to the table - they keep calling it a "platform". But what we got felt totally unfinished even as a foundation for a future product. It admittedly did a good job to polish a ton of aspects from games we've seen in the past, but it did nothing to set itself apart fundamentally.

2) The issue with the story is not just that it's short; it's simply shallow. The Grimoire cards, being outside of the game, are meant to enhance its story, but the core story fails to keep your attention anyway. Every character so far exists only to remind you about how much you don't know (They could tell you, but won't, or they don't have time to explain why they don't have time to explain, or they outright say that you're gonna see a lot of things that you won't understand), but without even giving you so much as a taste to chew on in order to build tension for the plot. The first characters introduced that might show a semblance of depth are the Awoken, and their entire presence so far has been nothing but a hook for the expansion you have to buy later.

3. Other MMOs intersperse their grindfests with more progressive storyline quests - you complete general kill count and resource gathering missions independently from the main questline, which is often vast and takes time to finish. This game has you completing the story before you even get to the actual endgame, and the grind from that point forward is literally REPEATING old missions. Immersion completely lost.

4) The RNG isn't the issue. Rewards in general are the problem. There's no equity in actually completing any of the tasks they give you. Engrams often let you down, providing false hopes, you could get nothing for doing the best in PvP or get an Exotic for doing nothing. I don't want a guaranteed Exotic for placing 1st, but I'd like a guarantee that I'd get SOMETHING of value in the first place, or that nobody gets random loot and instead has a chance at one piece of a particular loot set after doing so and so many Crucible matches. Bounties are the only thing that provide this incentive thus far. You know that by completing it, you will get this reward.

5) The enemies aren't the sole issue in repetitive gameplay. It's just that every mission boils down to one of three situations over and over. Go to location, upload Pocket Peter, or go to location, empty gun into Spongeboss, or go to location, fight off waves of recently introduced enemy. Also, every mission begins with you starting on the given planet in a "beginning" area. In Halo 2, I went from Cairo, to Old Mombassa, to New Mombassa, over the course of three missions. In Destiny, I start a mission on the moon, finish it somewhere else on the moon, then start another mission on the moon and have to travel from where I began the first one. The sense of progress is broken up by being forced to see the same initial zones over and over again.

6) It may be a first-person shooter, and I'll admit that it's got a lot more length than other FPS games. But much of that can be attributed to the bloating effect of these cookie cutter, divided mission objectives. And, as an RPG, it's fucking short, and shallow at that. Plenty of RPGs have DLC, but they also came stock with a number of sidequests and tangential plotlines, and the DLC added something new on top of a finished main storyline. This game is telling you that the main storyline is unfinished and has no real sidequests UNTIL you get DLC.
    Last edited by Jam Cliché; 09-27-2014 at 02:53 AM.

Real power comes from the man next to you and is built on the foundations of brotherhood and unity. There is no such thing as a one man army.

Blog Posts

Well said Nova. If crucible had a tier system like world of tanks, I'd play it more often. My favorite times playing Destiny are when I'm with friends. It has that feel of what Mass Effect 3's Multiplayer did for me; friends made it better. My wish is that when you finally get a legendary engram, get super excited, and decrypt it, it will actually give you a legendary item! I feel like a kid opening that gift wrapped up in wrapping paper that is covered with logos of your favorite thing, but opening it up to find plain non-flavored dental floss. *sigh* Such a tease bungie... Hope you had a good chuckle. :|

Eagle out.
    "Feelings pass right through you, don't they? So cold and unforgiving in
    every choice you made in battle. Purest soldier... I need you to be strong.
    Strong enough to do what you've never done in your life. Can you be
    strong enough to allow yourself to be... Can you just be human?"

Skirmisher

Thread Information