Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Is Destiny actually that good?

To put Jam in perspective, we don't hate Destiny, but if we ignore the fact that it has some problems, the game will never be what Bungie intended it to be, a diverse MMO shooter. Other games have tried this "cookie-cutter" story bullshit and got their asses handed to them over it. Destiny isn't a bad game, but with Bungie listening to the criticism that those of us have the courage to voice, Destiny can be a powerhouse that will last those 10 years
    "Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now."

The problem with Destiny's story can be described as such (I heard it from someone else - don't remember who):

With Halo, Bungie had a gripping, stand-alone story that made sense and immersed the player in it. From there, Bungie expanded the Halo Universe and it grew into the beautiful thing we all know and love today.

With Destiny, however, Bungie started with the massive universe of lore and tried to throw in threads of a linear story for the player. Bungie kept the lore behind locked gates and outside of the game (Grimoire Cards), and expected the player to figure out what the hell was going on.
    Former Field Marshal and General of the BLUE Army
    The Undisputed "Race" Champion of the Forerunner Conflict's 8th Anniversary Celebrations

Click here to buy some awesome apparel! Half of the profit from FC-related swag goes right back to FC!

Blog Posts

Personally, I don't mind the story. MMOs never really focus mainly on story. And I feel like we should be thrown into the universe headfirst and figure it out along the way with grimoire cards, etc. We're risen from the dead and thrown into this situation. Not much time to explain things when theres only one safe place left on Earth and we're desperately going out to stop everyone from collapsing in on Earth.

Multiplayer: I just finished a match on my level 10 Titan and came in first on my team. By that level, you should have unlocked all your basic abilities. The only thing higher levels should have on you is the ability to customize their abilities, but you should have a glide ability, so you have mobility which is key, and you should have your grenades, melee ability, and super. That's all you should need really. Only in the Iron Banner will being a higher level actually amount to something more.

Like Myth said in another thread, I've well had my enjoyment out of this 60$ purchase. I think people were expecting a perfect game because of how much this game has been promoted. Sure, it wasn't what I expected it to be, however once I started playing it (with a group of others, mind you, as Bungie has stressed on the social level that is needed for Destiny) I really felt like Destiny was something I see myself playing for quite awhile.

Also, Bungie already announced that they are fixing the engram situation with the next patch so :P
    Joined April 2007
    Founder of the LARP
    Founder of the Imperial Office of Naval Intelligence
    Squads led:
    Halo 3 Era: XO of Wolf Squad, CO of Nova Squad
    Halo Reach Era: CO of 1st Marines Platoon, CO of Foxtrot Squad, CO of Wolfpack Squad, CO of REDWATCH Special Forces
    Halo 4 Era: CO of REDWATCH Special Forces, Director of Imperial Office of Naval Intelligence and Project ARTEMIS, CO of the Dark Sail Raiders
    Halo 5 Era: CO of REDWATCH Special Forces

alright chill, some of your points are just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillSquishster View Post

If you have any complaint about any game at all, no matter what it is, and you think you could do it better? THEN GO MAKE THE GAME YOURSELF! Does anyone even realise how hard it is anymore to make a game as huge as destiny is or many other games like it. This has been years in the making.
    surgery is also hard to accomplish, and i would not trust myself with doing it, but i'll damn right bitch if my doctor fucks up my surgery.

just because you're unable to do something with your current skillset does not mean you can't critique someone who has done the task. The fact that's it's been years in the making and still feels incomplete says something.

2) The story is too short and doesn't explain a whole lot.

Well whoever says this is completely missing the whole point of what games like this do. Have you heard of the grimoires? Yeah that weird score thing that keeps popping up you know nothing about. Well that is actually linked to your profile on bungie.net where you can go look at cards you have unlocked. and guess what? On each card it tells about the background and story. So just like some other games have (such as dark souls and borderlands) you have to read some item descriptions to get some more of the lore going on.But guess they were just too lazy to actually go figure that out
    An encyclopedia is not a story. i would not go out and read the dictionary hoping to find a story. And sure, it'll give additional details on some aspects, but i'm sorry if i don't want to have to LEAVE THE FUCKING GAME and do research online to even begin figuring anything out.

6. The story isn't long enough and they are making us pay for expansions.

The story actually does take a while if you don't blast through the whole thing it does take a while. And even after you get through all that, the real game starts once you get up past level 20. There is so more more things to do and accomplish. All that random stuff you thought was useless before now finally becomes useful. You get so much gear, harder missions to accomplish. You think that boss was easy at level 4? Try him again at level 20 or even level 28 and see how much of a challenge it is. And if that isn't enough for you. Bungie has been releasing free, let me repeat that, FREE CONTENT since the game came out and are continuing to do it so there should be no complaints at all that there is nothing to do.
    oh bullshit. the story is a phenomenal length for just another shooter, but for an mmo, which it's marketed as, and you acknowledge in another point? it would barely count as a tutorial area for the amount of content. The game starts at level one, and really, ends at 19-20. Harder difficulties are NOT new content. it's the same content rehashed with slightly different health and damage values on the enemies. that is all. additional daily quests to repeat already completed quests is not free content. it's an extension of replayability value that they're using to keep us from jumping ship till the first dlc (disc locked content in this case) is released. the ONLY content past level 20 is the raid, which was not even released at the start of the game, so those that beat the game before that? no additional content past level 20.

So there it is my rant about it. Destiny is an amazing game and it is only going to get better. I am completely hooked on it and have only scratched the surface with one character. Now stop complaining about games and just do what we are suppose to do... enjoy them. That is all. Chill Out.
    destiny isn't really that amazing. it's fun. i will give you that. i know i'll be playing for a fair amount of time. (till mcc comes out anyways) also, it getting better is irrelevant to the current game. i could get into a rant of my own about all the negatives of destiny, but instead, i think i'll go play destiny.
    Spem Successus Alit

RP forces
    RP Units guide

Fabled Legendary Member
    I Like Turtles!
    I Live in an Igloo!
    Blog Posts

you tell em silver!
    "Do you guys know how hard it is to masturbate with you all talking!" - UNLUCKY

Former Field Marshal of both the REDD and BLUE
    Creator of 21st Degree and the Resistance
    7 victories fought and lead

Website Administrator
    Skynet is PARTIALLY ACTIVE
    RIP Cyberdyne
    RIP Net of the Sky

Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: Mythonian

Some of you say the glass is half empty while others say it's half full. I'm going to take the gripping hand's approach and say the glass might be twice the size it needs to be.

Think of it relative to the cost. If you only spent $60 for a surgery, you're gonna get a shit doctor who's going to probably steal an organ or two during it. If you spent a reasonable price for it, then you should be fine. Basically, you get what you pay for.

You paid $60 for a game. How many hours of enjoyment is that worth? I paid that price for Titanfall and played probably 30 hours or less and I still feel I got my money's worth out of it. I've played 180+ hours of Destiny already, and after all that the single thing I want the most to be added is custom game lobbies.

The amount that is bought for that $60 price tag is quite reasonable. Saying the game is incomplete, though, isn't untrue. However, it has the wrong connotation and is from the wrong perspective. The game initiates a lore universe and overarching story elements which are impossible to reasonably successfully explain in a $60 package.

If you want the full 10-year product at once, for $60, you'd cause Bungie to go out of business. Yes it would keep people playing, but the only way Bungie could survive with that is if there was a subscription price as well, which as everyone knows comes with very negative connotations. To avoid this and still yield a profit (because remember: gaming is an industry, not a public service), Bungie and Activision must slice things up and spread them out over a period of time.

Leaving people wanting more details on the story is a requirement for the story to remain relevant for months and years. Leaving people wanting more content is a requirement for the game itself to remain relevant for years to come. This isn't Bungie screwing you over, it's Bungie trying to initiate a long-term plan.

The plan they are starting is having a bit of a rocky beginning, yes. If they had tried to have a slightly more humble beginning, introducing the world and lore one small piece at a time, it would have been smoother and easier likely, which is why I said at the start that the glass might be twice the size it needs to be. The lore and universe is vast and unexplored right now, which is why people say the game is incomplete, so I think they would have been better off starting smaller and working their way up, expanding things steadily.
    Quote Originally Posted by silversleek View Post
    for an mmo, which it's marketed as
    What? No it's not. They did everything to avoid calling it an MMO. They marketed it in the opposite way, as NOT an MMO, but a persistent world FPS.

They've steered clear from that, specifically to avoid people trying to compare it to other MMOs and the stereotypes that come along with that genre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jam Cliché View Post
    In Destiny, I start a mission on the moon, finish it somewhere else on the moon, then start another mission on the moon and have to travel from where I began the first one. The sense of progress is broken up by being forced to see the same initial zones over and over again.
    Destiny is not supposed to be a linear story from A to B like Halo. They are trying to give a sense of interconnectedness between all the missions stemming from the same point. From a gameplay perspective as well, I think it was a good idea as it gives a sense of location about where things are positioned around the areas, how to go from location to location, etc.

If they had instead started you at some place you just finished the last mission at, it would feel more linear and make it feel like the path the missions took is the only one that matters on the map and everything important is in those areas.
    Having trouble on the site? Need an Admin?
    PM me or Metkil5685, we're always online...

Elite BLUE Veteran
    Spirit of Hope
    Vacuus Quietis
    Psalms of Planets
    Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    you tell em silver!
    for once I agree with fuzzy

and semi agree with Myth
    "I bought a xbox one to watch my team suck in HD"

The discussion here is great. Destiny is definitely worth the price of admission as Myth said, but I feel that some problems are overlooked because it's Bungie. The plus is that Bungie is listening to the feedback and will better the game as a result.
    "Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now."

I hate buying games in Australia: Destiny's $100 here. (About $87 USD)

But for you guys, I was surprised it got a $60 price tag. How many other big shot games can you name that also went for $60 on release?

Australia: Where 90% of animals are trying to kill you. The other 10% just do it by accident.

[8:10:37 AM] riphelix: Nova I need too borrow your accent tomorrow please, I got a date and I wanna impress her
    [8:11:07 AM] Nervy: Sex guaranteed!!

Quote Originally Posted by L3g3ndarY NovA View Post
    But for you guys, I was surprised it got a $60 price tag. How many other big shot games can you name that also went for $60 on release?
    Almost all new games retail for $60 here in 'Mericuh. It's been that way since the Xbox 360/PS3.
    Former Field Marshal and General of the BLUE Army
    The Undisputed "Race" Champion of the Forerunner Conflict's 8th Anniversary Celebrations

Click here to buy some awesome apparel! Half of the profit from FC-related swag goes right back to FC!

Thread Information