Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Is Destiny actually that good?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxdoggy View Post
    Almost all new games retail for $60 here in 'Mericuh. It's been that way since the Xbox 360/PS3.
    Quote Originally Posted by L3g3ndarY NovA View Post
    I hate buying games in Australia: Destiny's every new game's $100 here. (About $87 USD)
    This is off-topic, but for perspective, how much is the MCC going for over there?

Australia: Where 90% of animals are trying to kill you. The other 10% just do it by accident.

[8:10:37 AM] riphelix: Nova I need too borrow your accent tomorrow please, I got a date and I wanna impress her
    [8:11:07 AM] Nervy: Sex guaranteed!!

This is off-topic, but for perspective, how much is the MCC going for over there?
    $60.

It's harder to find a game that ISN'T shipping at $60 (aka $59.99) in the States.

Destiny, for example, was $60 for the normal edition of the game.
    The edition I got, the Digital Guardian Edition (which included the game, preorder DLC, and the Expansion Pass), cost $90.

IMO it was worth it. Destiny is addictive.
    Former Field Marshal and General of the BLUE Army
    The Undisputed "Race" Champion of the Forerunner Conflict's 8th Anniversary Celebrations

Click here to buy some awesome apparel! Half of the profit from FC-related swag goes right back to FC!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxdoggy View Post
    $60.

It's harder to find a game that ISN'T shipping at $60 (aka $59.99) in the States.
    Well... It's official. I'm moving to 'Murica. Anyone got a spare room?

Attachment 4966
    Last edited by Legendary Nova; 09-27-2014 at 09:54 PM.

Australia: Where 90% of animals are trying to kill you. The other 10% just do it by accident.

[8:10:37 AM] riphelix: Nova I need too borrow your accent tomorrow please, I got a date and I wanna impress her

Well... It's official. I'm moving to 'Murica. Anyone got a spare room?

Attachment 4966

It's a bit messy...
    "Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now."

Blog Posts

What is minimum wage in Australia?

Eagle out.
    "Feelings pass right through you, don't they? So cold and unforgiving in
    every choice you made in battle. Purest soldier... I need you to be strong.
    Strong enough to do what you've never done in your life. Can you be
    strong enough to allow yourself to be... Can you just be human?"

Skirmisher

Elite BLUE Veteran
    Spirit of Hope
    Vacuus Quietis
    Psalms of Planets
    Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EagleOne View Post

Eagle out.
    twice w/e you make
    "I bought a xbox one to watch my team suck in HD"

Quote Originally Posted by EagleOne View Post

Eagle out.
    For adults, it's $16.87 per hour ($14.80 USD), but it fluctuates depending on what you do. If you want the fine print, it's here. That's from 2013 so it's a bit off, but it's the newest one I could find.

EDIT: I just looked up yours, and it's not pretty... As a 15 year old, my minimum is almost as much as your adult one...

Anyway, this is getting way off topic... I want Destiny really badly! It looks pretty good.
    Last edited by Legendary Nova; 09-28-2014 at 12:27 AM.

Blog Posts

You don't know what Destiny is until you do the Vault of Glass :o So much fun!
    Joined April 2007
    Founder of the LARP
    Founder of the Imperial Office of Naval Intelligence
    Squads led:
    Halo 3 Era: XO of Wolf Squad, CO of Nova Squad
    Halo Reach Era: CO of 1st Marines Platoon, CO of Foxtrot Squad, CO of Wolfpack Squad, CO of REDWATCH Special Forces
    Halo 4 Era: CO of REDWATCH Special Forces, Director of Imperial Office of Naval Intelligence and Project ARTEMIS, CO of the Dark Sail Raiders
    Halo 5 Era: CO of REDWATCH Special Forces

Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mythonian View Post
    Some of you say the glass is half empty while others say it's half full. I'm going to take the gripping hand's approach and say the glass might be twice the size it needs to be.

Think of it relative to the cost. If you only spent $60 for a surgery, you're gonna get a shit doctor who's going to probably steal an organ or two during it. If you spent a reasonable price for it, then you should be fine. Basically, you get what you pay for.

You paid $60 for a game. How many hours of enjoyment is that worth? I paid that price for Titanfall and played probably 30 hours or less and I still feel I got my money's worth out of it. I've played 180+ hours of Destiny already, and after all that the single thing I want the most to be added is custom game lobbies.

The amount that is bought for that $60 price tag is quite reasonable. Saying the game is incomplete, though, isn't untrue. However, it has the wrong connotation and is from the wrong perspective. The game initiates a lore universe and overarching story elements which are impossible to reasonably successfully explain in a $60 package.

If you want the full 10-year product at once, for $60, you'd cause Bungie to go out of business. Yes it would keep people playing, but the only way Bungie could survive with that is if there was a subscription price as well, which as everyone knows comes with very negative connotations. To avoid this and still yield a profit (because remember: gaming is an industry, not a public service), Bungie and Activision must slice things up and spread them out over a period of time.

Leaving people wanting more details on the story is a requirement for the story to remain relevant for months and years. Leaving people wanting more content is a requirement for the game itself to remain relevant for years to come. This isn't Bungie screwing you over, it's Bungie trying to initiate a long-term plan.

The plan they are starting is having a bit of a rocky beginning, yes. If they had tried to have a slightly more humble beginning, introducing the world and lore one small piece at a time, it would have been smoother and easier likely, which is why I said at the start that the glass might be twice the size it needs to be. The lore and universe is vast and unexplored right now, which is why people say the game is incomplete, so I think they would have been better off starting smaller and working their way up, expanding things steadily.What? No it's not. They did everything to avoid calling it an MMO. They marketed it in the opposite way, as NOT an MMO, but a persistent world FPS.

They've steered clear from that, specifically to avoid people trying to compare it to other MMOs and the stereotypes that come along with that genre.Destiny is not supposed to be a linear story from A to B like Halo. They are trying to give a sense of interconnectedness between all the missions stemming from the same point. From a gameplay perspective as well, I think it was a good idea as it gives a sense of location about where things are positioned around the areas, how to go from location to location, etc.

If they had instead started you at some place you just finished the last mission at, it would feel more linear and make it feel like the path the missions took is the only one that matters on the map and everything important is in those areas.
    Myth I was agreeing with almost all of this until the MMO part. While they didn't market it as a MMO there are very obvious MMO elements in this game. A RNG loot system, grinding out reputation/faction and comms to get epic gear, PvP and PvE gear (Crucible & Vanguard Armor), Class based build system. These are elements that Bungie took from MMOs and very early marketing for this game was calling it a gun based MMO. But there are a lot of things that I did agree with. Such as how they are doing the story. The best game I know of that I can compare this to is the MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic. All the end game content is related to the over all story arc of the game. Over the past almost 3 years they have expanded the story through the use of content patches. Difference was, like most MMOs as myth pointed out, they used a subscriber based system so you already payed for the DLC with your sub were as with this game you are going to have to buy the DLC. It is actually cheaper in the long run this way for the consumer instead of the constant sub.

Give the Bungie time people. This is clearly a game they plan to develop over a long period of time. This is Bungie for christ sake, since when has Bungie ever gave the fans the middle finger and just stop developing games in favor of the fans? Bungie said fuck you to Microsoft and I doubt they will let Activision get in their way as well.

REDD or BLUE Resistance comes through!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythonian View Post
    Silko isn't an innate troublemaker, and doesn't intentionally break the rules.
    Co-Founder of the Resistance
    Undefeated on Reach

Website Administrator
    Skynet is PARTIALLY ACTIVE
    RIP Cyberdyne
    RIP Net of the Sky

Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: Mythonian

Quote Originally Posted by Silko View Post
    While they didn't market it as a MMO there are very obvious MMO elements in this game.
    Sorry if I was unclear. I didn't intend to say the game didn't have similarities to MMOs, I was just saying they didn't market it as one, instead using the term "persistent world FPS."

The game irrefutably has similarities, although to be fair most of the similarities you mentioned aren't tied with MMOs completely. Nearly all loot-based games have RNG systems, ranging from Diablo to Borderlands, PVP/PVE gear is common in every game that has connections between the environments (even H4's loadouts would be a very basic form of this, where you might set it up differently in MM compared to campaign), and class distinctions are in everything from Divinity to TF2.

Feature X might be in lots of MMOs, but that feature is also present in lots of non-MMO games as well, so calling it an "MMO Feature" isn't very accurate, because it's also a "FPS Feature" and a "RPG Feature" and a "RTS Feature" etc., etc.
    Having trouble on the site? Need an Admin?
    PM me or Metkil5685, we're always online...

Thread Information