Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Building my own computer

Quote Originally Posted by Maxdoggy View Post
    NewEgg + TigerDirect were/are the two places where I go for my computer building needs.

Also, Best Buy for internal/external hard drives without waiting for shipping (they price match NE + TD).
    That is surprising because Best Buy is a rip off when it comes to computer parts lol

- - - Updated - - -

NewEgg + TigerDirect were/are the two places where I go for my computer building needs.

Also, Best Buy for internal/external hard drives without waiting for shipping (they price match NE + TD).
    That is surprising because Best Buy is a rip off when it comes to computer parts lol

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk570 View Post
    The only reason I shop there for computer parts on occasion is BECAUSE they price match basically all online retailers as long as they are reputable (Amazon.com [if it's shipped and sold via Amazon], B&HPhoto, Newegg, TigerDirect, Micro Center, etc).

My employee discount there on computer parts is slim to none (especially on hard drives), hence why I price match.
    Former Field Marshal and General of the BLUE Army
    The Undisputed "Race" Champion of the Forerunner Conflict's 8th Anniversary Celebrations

Click here to buy some awesome apparel! Half of the profit from FC-related swag goes right back to FC!

Blog Posts

The only reason I shop there for computer parts on occasion is BECAUSE they price match basically all online retailers as long as they are reputable (Amazon.com [if it's shipped and sold via Amazon], B&HPhoto, Newegg, TigerDirect, Micro Center, etc).

My employee discount there on computer parts is slim to none (especially on hard drives), hence why I price match.
    You work at best buy? Well I now know who to bitch at when their shit breaks

REDD or BLUE Resistance comes through!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythonian View Post
    Silko isn't an innate troublemaker, and doesn't intentionally break the rules.
    Co-Founder of the Resistance
    Undefeated on Reach

If you're going to game on it, just check CPU and GPU benchmarks. A PC is really only the parts inside working together, so the performance of the parts is most all that's important. Given your price range, AMD processors make the most sense.

If you're not going to game on it, and you just want something fast, save the cash, get a quad-core AMD build with a low-end GPU (like $50 max), and 8GB RAM and you'll be set for like 3-4 years.
    Last edited by Anarchy; 10-01-2014 at 07:43 PM.

Virtus Tentamine Gaudet
    FM For 6 wars spanning 3 generations

Zeta, I slapped this together:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/anarchyz11/saved/vxMMnQ

It does not include a case, fan, or monitor, since most of those are arbitrary and your preference. Any monitor will do, any ATX case will do.

Also did not include any graphics cards. If you aren't gaming, you wont need them, but here's a recommendation if you do want a semi-decent one to game:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-780-_-Product

Without a GPU, should end around $600 with monitor and other peripherals listed above or not. Extra $100 if you buy the GPU.

Just a suggestion since you said you don't know anything about parts. If you don't trust me, I'm sure Myth can confirm these things. If you have any questions, ask me.

Virtus Tentamine Gaudet

Blog Posts

I've built myself a decent gaming rig on the cheap, if you don't mind gambling, eBay can be very good for getting a slightly used graphics card for a third of its msrp

Everybody Wants to Rule The World

Yes I want to play games on I, though I'm not looking to max anything out right now.

Thanks Anarchy I'll look at that.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I want to play games on I, though I'm not looking to max anything out right now.

Thanks Anarchy I'll look at that.

REDWATCH VETERAN

Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
    Zeta, I slapped this together:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/anarchyz11/saved/vxMMnQ

It does not include a case, fan, or monitor, since most of those are arbitrary and your preference. Any monitor will do, any ATX case will do.

Also did not include any graphics cards. If you aren't gaming, you wont need them, but here's a recommendation if you do want a semi-decent one to game:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-780-_-Product

Without a GPU, should end around $600 with monitor and other peripherals listed above or not. Extra $100 if you buy the GPU.

Just a suggestion since you said you don't know anything about parts. If you don't trust me, I'm sure Myth can confirm these things. If you have any questions, ask me.
    I would recommend getting a beefer power supply then the one listed. Reason being it is only a bronze and at 630w, he will have to upgrade that at some point if he goes to higher end parts. If he wants to stay below 700w I would get a platinum or gold rated power supply. CPU is good, ram is good, Hard drive is good. Here a link to a slightly cheaper ROM drive with Promo code (Ends the 8th) Link Code: EMCWPPH26.

Also keep in mind that the mother board on that list does not have a on board video card. Not that big of a deal if you get a GPU but in the event something were to happen to your GPU you would not have a back up until you can get a replacement card. I personally like to play things safe but that is just me.

REDD or BLUE Resistance comes through!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythonian View Post
    Silko isn't an innate troublemaker, and doesn't intentionally break the rules.
    Co-Founder of the Resistance
    Undefeated on Reach

Blog Posts

For mobo, please stick with MSI or ASUS. That's all I'm gonna say as you've already got lots helping you out.

Eagle out.
    "Feelings pass right through you, don't they? So cold and unforgiving in
    every choice you made in battle. Purest soldier... I need you to be strong.
    Strong enough to do what you've never done in your life. Can you be
    strong enough to allow yourself to be... Can you just be human?"

Skirmisher

Quote Originally Posted by EagleOne View Post
    For mobo, please stick with MSI or ASUS. That's all I'm gonna say as you've already got lots helping you out.

Eagle out.
    Gigabyte has been fine for me too.

But really, don't go insanely cheap on mob. It may not have many "stats" to speed up your rig, but it's what brings it all together and is the backbone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EagleOne View Post

Eagle out.
    Gigabyte has been fine for me too.

But really, don't go insanely cheap on mob. It may not have many "stats" to speed up your rig, but it's what brings it all together and is the backbone.

Virtus Tentamine Gaudet

Thread Information