Founder of Forerunner Conflict
    Blog Posts

Classic Halo Gametypes

Hey guys! Figured I'd share some nostalgia with all of you for the launch of the MCC. Halo 2 will always be my favorite multiplayer game of all time because of how fun and simple the games AND the customizations were. You didn't have forge and stuff, so you had a limited amount of options for gametype creations, however due to Halo 2's awesome multiplayer mechanics some of the funnest games of all times were had. Anyways, here is what I remember vividly playing from my H2 days with the basic settings (and if you had any fun gametypes you remember, please feel free to share them):

Hill 30:
    My all-time favorite game (that yes I created). Hill 30 is named after one of my favorite games Brothers-in-Arms: Road to Hill 30 which was a PHENOMENAL World War 2 game (like playing a video game version of Band of Brothers/Saving Private Ryan). This gametype was originally created solely for Coagulation because of the big hill between the caves (which is now known famously to older FC members as "Hill 30"). What made this game feel even more epic was that in Halo 2 when a person capture the Hill, their emblem would be displayed on the flag and would be waving in the wind with a ton of chaos going on (and because my white star on green background was used, it looked so epic). What also made this game such a great hit was that it could be used on so many other levels and it was equally as fun; we had some of the best Hill 30 battles ever on levels such as Waterworks, Terminal, Headlong, etc. Here are the settings from which I remember:

Gametype: Territories, 2 teams
    # of Territories - 1
    Territory Contest Time - 3-5 sec (for the wars we used 5, it was originally 3)
    Territory Control Time - 3-5 sec
    Vehicles - All Human (2 Scorpions, 2 Gauss, 2 Chain) + 2 Banshee -- split between the teams of course
    Weapons - All Human. BR/SMG/Frag grenade start
    Shields normal
    Respawn - 3 seconds
    Time limit - 15-20min
    Scoring - Infinity

Dawn of the Dead/Zombies/Infected
    The original favorite custom gametype of all Halo fans, originally called Dawn of the Dead it is simply the first version of what we know today as Infection. Two teams (Red - Humans, Green (or brown) - Zombies). Depending on the amount of people in a gametype you can start with 1-3 Zombies and the rest are humans. Humans are only allowed to have shotguns (and sometimes pistols) and zombies are only allowed to use swords. When a Zombie kills a human, the human MUST change colors (since H2 didn't have an automatic change). This game was always played on Foundation at first because it was a blast barricading the rooms with boxes and such. Though Backwash was my personal favorite because it was spoopy.

Gametype: Team Slayer, 2 teams
    Weapons: Shotgun/Sword start. No grenades
    Weapons on map: Close Combat (swords & shotguns) or Human (but only for shotgun and magnum pickups)
    Shields: None
    Vehicles: None
    Respawn: 3 sec
    Time Limit: 10-15min
    Scoring: Infinity

June 6th, 1944:
    Another game that I developed and was a HUGE blast with everyone. Essentially it was a reverse D-Day on Zanizbar. Best played with a full lobby of 16, there are two teams. One team (Axis) is of 3 people and between them is a Scorpion Tank, Gauss Hog, and Chain Hog. The other team (Allies) has nothing but shotguns. At the start of the game, the Axis gets 45 seconds to get situated in the back corner of Zanizbar's waterwall (and the Allies are not allowed to use vehicles or kill Axis outside of vehicles). Then the objective is for the Allies to rush the Axis and try to kill them, however it's VERY difficult when you have a tank and two warthogs firing down the beach at you. We've had games go on for hours and scores of over 1000 kills. Here's a pretty good representation of how awesome it is (credits to IKP :'(, also I apologize for my young-ass voice from way back when):

Vehicles: Warthogs and Scorpion
    Weapons: Shotguns only, no grenades, none on map
    Respawns: 3 seconds
    Shields: None
    Time Limit: Unlimited
    Score Limit: Unlimited

Troy:
    This was a really fun gametype if you could get a full lobby. It was a Neutral Flag game played on Coagulation, but the flag was hardly the objective. Each team starts out with Brute Shots and runs to the middle of the map firing their entire salvo to the other side in order to pick off as many enemies as possible. Because Brute Shots didn't explode in mid-air like H3, they would go the entire distance and would rain like mortar fire on the enemies. The two teams would then meet up in the middle with energy swords and duke it out hand-to-hand (and if you could get the flag that would be cool too).

Gametype - Neutral Flag CTF, 2 teams
    Vehicles - None
    Weapons - Brute Shot (2clips/8rounds total) & Energy Sword
    Shields - None
    Respawn - None
    Rounds - 3-5-7-9
    Time Limit - 2min/round

Cat & Mouse
    Very fun game with a lot of people. There are two teams, one is the cats and one is the mice on Coagulation. There are only 2 cats but they control wraith tanks, and the mice are only allowed to control warthogs (4 of them). The objective is for the Cats to ram the mice with the Wraiths (there is NO shooting until the final minute), and conversely the mice have to survive the entire round. The Wraiths cannot ram the mice who are still on foot in the first 30 seconds of the match (give them time to get into vehicles, and vice versa Mice can't kill cats on foot or steal the wraith). The mice are not permitted to shoot the wraiths either. All people must be in a vehicle during the game, and no one can hide in the caves, bases, or rocks (must be accessible to Wraith basically). In the final minute, the Wraiths are permitted to start using their cannons.

Vehicles: Wraiths & chain warthogs
    Weapons: Plasma Pistol
    Shields: normal (or it may have been overshields, can't remember. Will have to test again)
    Respawn: None
    Rounds: 3-5-7-9
    Time Limit: 5 minutes/round

Tremors:
    We still play tremors to this day, but Halo 2's Tremors was a blast on Coagulation. There are two "Graboids" who are in ghosts, and the rest are on foot. The objectives of the humans is to capture the flag and return it to base, whereas the Graboids must try and splatter the humans (no shooting between humans and graboids). The catch is that Graboids cannot drive over rocks, bases, cliffs or in caves.

Gametype: CTF Multi-flag (or single), 2 teams
    Weapons: plasma pistols
    Shields: Normal or none
    Vehicles: Ghosts only
    Respawn: None
    Time Limit: 8 minutes

Tower of Power:
    Just a fun, tactical game on Ascension. Two teams try to take control of the big tower only using shotguns. Whoever is in control of the tower also has the use of a turret which covers the front of the base. It's a blast when you see teams trying to rush on the bridges.

Weapons: Shotguns only, no grenades. Shotguns on map
    Vehicles: Turrets
    Time Limit: as long as you want

Predator:
    This game could give some people the chills. This was a classic Juggernaut gametype where the Juggernaut has super speed, active camo, no shields, and sword. Whoever is Juggernaut must kills the humans, however they do have the chance to kill him (using shotgun or other human weapons) as well and become Juggernaut. This is a great gametype for Backwash, Lockout, and Ivory Tower.

Gametype: Juggernaut
    Juggernaut Settings:
    Active Camo
    Shotgun/Sword
    Shields but severely decreased damage resistance (or no shields w/ increased damage resistance)
    Increased speed (and increased jumping...can't remember if H2 had it for juggernaut).

other settings:
    Vehicles: None
    Weapons: Shotgun/Sword start, no grenades, default weapons on map
    Shields: Full
    Respawn: only 5 lives per person
    Time Limit: 15 min

Insta-Bomb:
    This was a great team-based Assualt gametype best played on Midship that I developed and was ALMOST added into the wars but H3 was right around the corner. It's a simple Assault gametype, but the bombs are armed instantly and explode instantly, therefore making it a high-scoring chaotic gametype especially for Midship's small level (plus 16 people would be playing it).

Gametype: Assault - 2 teams
    Bomb settings:
    Arm Time - Instant (or smallest #)
    Explode Time - Instant (or smallest #)
    Weapons: BR/SMG start, frags/plasma grenade start, default weapons on maps
    Shields: No shields or shields
    Time Limit: 15min
    Scoring: infinite

There are plenty of other gametypes I'll have to get to, but these are the most memorable ones. Feel free to post your favorite gametypes from the past Halo games! Hope you guys get a chance to play some of these before I get back! Can't wait to play them all again with you!
    Last edited by Spartanbh; 11-07-2014 at 02:32 PM.

I created Hill 30

Blog Posts

Re: Classic Halo Gametypes

Oh man so many gametypes from Halo 2 I had. D-Day on Relic (Germans set up on the Relics, Allies go to the Albatross and begin hitting the barracades towards the Relic until the Germans are ready and then they open up on them from above with Warthogs as the Allies try to rush forward). Bridge Wars on Ascension where both teams are on opposite sides of the bridge all with shotguns and everyone just runs forward at each other. The classic one I used to play everyday was 16 person Team Fiesta on Lockout. Then there was Green Room on Lockout where everyone just has shotguns and the purpose was for one team to just hold the green room; whoever didnt had it could drop fusion coils from the top hatch and then jump down or just rush them and try to take the Green Room. Alamo on Containment where one team had to hold the base while being bombarded from outside from Wraiths while they rushed at them. Zombies on Headlong. Meteor Shower on Headlong.

Sooo many good ones. I can't even remember them all.
    Joined April 2007
    Founder of the LARP
    Founder of the Imperial Office of Naval Intelligence
    Squads led:
    Halo 3 Era: XO of Wolf Squad, CO of Nova Squad
    Halo Reach Era: CO of 1st Marines Platoon, CO of Foxtrot Squad, CO of Wolfpack Squad, CO of REDWATCH Special Forces
    Halo 4 Era: CO of REDWATCH Special Forces, Director of Imperial Office of Naval Intelligence and Project ARTEMIS, CO of the Dark Sail Raiders
    Halo 5 Era: CO of REDWATCH Special Forces

Founder of Forerunner Conflict
    Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VerbotenDonkey View Post
    Oh man so many gametypes from Halo 2 I had. D-Day on Relic (Germans set up on the Relics, Allies go to the Albatross and begin hitting the barracades towards the Relic until the Germans are ready and then they open up on them from above with Warthogs as the Allies try to rush forward). Bridge Wars on Ascension where both teams are on opposite sides of the bridge all with shotguns and everyone just runs forward at each other. The classic one I used to play everyday was 16 person Team Fiesta on Lockout. Then there was Green Room on Lockout where everyone just has shotguns and the purpose was for one team to just hold the green room; whoever didnt had it could drop fusion coils from the top hatch and then jump down or just rush them and try to take the Green Room. Alamo on Containment where one team had to hold the base while being bombarded from outside from Wraiths while they rushed at them. Zombies on Headlong. Meteor Shower on Headlong.

Sooo many good ones. I can't even remember them all.
    I had a game on Halo 3 called SUPER INTENSE which was max gravity and slowest speed possible to where you could only move like 1 foot per minute. It was super intense because you'd be lucky to kill one person the entire game.

I created Hill 30

ToP best gametype I ever played.

Don't forget the precursor to Bus Stop Kids on Ascension with the Banshee!!

Can't wait for the MCC. My body is ready.
    Former Field Marshal and General of the BLUE Army
    The Undisputed "Race" Champion of the Forerunner Conflict's 8th Anniversary Celebrations

Click here to buy some awesome apparel! Half of the profit from FC-related swag goes right back to FC!

I wish I played H2 when it was still a thing. I'm too young... :'(

As soon as I get MCC and when Spartan gets back we're all going to have a huge H2 customs night so you can show me what I missed out on!

Australia: Where 90% of animals are trying to kill you. The other 10% just do it by accident.

[8:10:37 AM] riphelix: Nova I need too borrow your accent tomorrow please, I got a date and I wanna impress her
    [8:11:07 AM] Nervy: Sex guaranteed!!

Thread Information