Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Remember
    RedWatch

DarkSail Raiders
    Apple Fanboy

Re: New Squad System

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Sapien View Post
    What's the point of armies then?
    What's the point of the armies currently? They provide structure for the squads and organization.

The only change with respect to armies is that there would be much more flexible membership. Instead of switching armies at peacetime or during life or death squad transfers. The perceived issues could be addressed more quickly. If somebody doesn't agree with the army leadership or is tired of waiting for battle nights -> Find some friends forum a new squad swap armies.

Remember
    RedWatch

DarkSail Raiders
    Apple Fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by NervyDestroyer View Post
    I like the idea up until you start talking about freelancing. FC advertises itself as a Warsim with armies. Freelancing kinda defeats that purpose. Now I'm all for a looser interpretation of "Warsim" where army leaders aren't so damn condescending to recruits and don't just magically expect this super level of respect. There is the other extreme though. Removing the armies from the equation kinda defeats the entire purpose of FC and what makes it so attractive to recruits.
    Are we really so attractive to recruits right now? I thought we had a recruitment issue.

Quote Originally Posted by NervyDestroyer View Post
    If an army is faltering in numbers on a BN, a squad from the other army temporarily transfers to the other army for the night. I like the system we have now. Squads should be willing to fight for the other army to keep BN moving smoothly. We don't need freelancers. Other than that, everything you just suggested was perfect. I do that kind of thing with Renegade. Ranks are given based on dedication. Higher ranks should be difficult to get. Making a squad is not easy. Maintaining a squad is even harder. I like this system minus the freelancer shtuff
    I understand where you are coming from with the freelancer stuff (although I didn't think that would be an issue since we kinda did the same thing last war with squads and players playing for whatever army needed it). I think it would be nice to standardize a procedure for substitutions (since they were frequently needed last war) so it isn't a big deal to make it happen on the fly. Especially since I think it would be better to have the squad just join the other army if they are going to be playing for them. Is it really fair to expect people to play their hardest for an army they aren't affiliated with?

Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Houdini View Post
    What's the point of the armies currently? They provide structure for the squads and organization.

The only change with respect to armies is that there would be much more flexible membership. Instead of switching armies at peacetime or during life or death squad transfers. The perceived issues could be addressed more quickly. If somebody doesn't agree with the army leadership or is tired of waiting for battle nights -> Find some friends forum a new squad swap armies.
    This forms an issue of mob-mentality where, what's stopping everyone from one army from switching sides when they're losing just because they want to be on the winning side?
    Joined April 2007
    Founder of the LARP
    Founder of the Imperial Office of Naval Intelligence
    Squads led:
    Halo 3 Era: XO of Wolf Squad, CO of Nova Squad
    Halo Reach Era: CO of 1st Marines Platoon, CO of Foxtrot Squad, CO of Wolfpack Squad, CO of REDWATCH Special Forces
    Halo 4 Era: CO of REDWATCH Special Forces, Director of Imperial Office of Naval Intelligence and Project ARTEMIS, CO of the Dark Sail Raiders
    Halo 5 Era: CO of REDWATCH Special Forces

Elite BLUE Veteran
    Spirit of Hope
    Vacuus Quietis
    Psalms of Planets
    Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VerbotenDonkey View Post
    This forms an issue of mob-mentality where, what's stopping everyone from one army from switching sides when they're losing just because they want to be on the winning side?
    ^that

Is being part of the armies and wars, one of our special selling features for recruitment?
    "I bought a xbox one to watch my team suck in HD"

Remember
    RedWatch

DarkSail Raiders
    Apple Fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by VerbotenDonkey View Post
    I'm hoping the spirit of trying to keep this community alive?

I guess I'm expecting people to be more willing to want to switch to help the losing army than jumping ship.

I feel like we should be working towards a community were people aren't afraid of being on the losing army side because they will still be having fun. I think the fact that this could be an issue reveals a lot of problems we have.

Remember
    RedWatch

DarkSail Raiders
    Apple Fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Sapien View Post
    Is being part of the armies and wars, one of our special selling features for recruitment?
    Sure. There are a lot of selling points. I think the two big ones are fun and respect.

Apparently, I'm not being very clear.

I have no intention or desire to abolish the army system. I like the armies. I'm trying to motivate new squads to be formed for the armies, but allowing the new squads to be sent to the army that needs them most at the time of battle nights. The jumping squads and flexible army membership I talk about is intended for people who don't know where they want to be so instead of giving them a single choice to live with for x number of weeks or even months they can switch more frequently until they find a home. I don't think the people who are happy with their current squads and armies should be switching unless they want to try something new, in which case, what argument is there supporting forcing people to stick with something they don't like when they want to try something new?

Quote Originally Posted by Houdini View Post
    I'm hoping the spirit of trying to keep this community alive?

I guess I'm expecting people to be more willing to want to switch to help the losing army than jumping ship.

I feel like we should be working towards a community were people aren't afraid of being on the losing army side because they will still be having fun. I think the fact that this could be an issue reveals a lot of problems we have.
    Unfortunately, whenever recruiting comes into play with one of these suggestions, you have to assume that every new recruit is going to be an asshole and try to break the system. No offence to anyone, but you always need to plan for recruits (and just members in general) to be the absolute worst they can be. This is where your idea falls apart. It's pretty sad to say it, but you can't ever rely on someone to uphold 'community spirit' if it means they have to sacrifice personal gain...

I really hate to see so many of your ideas shot down, Houdini... It's obvious that you're really trying to help this community and I applaud you for that. It's just a shame that so many perfect-in-theory suggestions get broken down from a practical standpoint.
    Last edited by Legendary Nova; 06-22-2015 at 11:34 PM.

Australia: Where 90% of animals are trying to kill you. The other 10% just do it by accident.

[8:10:37 AM] riphelix: Nova I need too borrow your accent tomorrow please, I got a date and I wanna impress her
    [8:11:07 AM] Nervy: Sex guaranteed!!

[QUOTE=Houdini;171811]Are we really so attractive to recruits right now? I thought we had a recruitment issue.[QUOTE/]

We have a recruitment issue because people are too lazy to get off their ass and dedicate a night to recruiting. We don't have that same drive anymore to get new people in. I think somewhere along the line we got lazy because FC always had people and we though it wouldn't ever come to this if we stopped recruiting.
    You are not a godless fucking moron
    You are still a moron but not a godless fucking one
    - Silko, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Solus Exsequor View Post

We have a recruitment issue because people are too lazy to get off their ass and dedicate a night to recruiting. We don't have that same drive anymore to get new people in. I think somewhere along the line we got lazy because FC always had people and we though it wouldn't ever come to this if we stopped recruiting.
    That, or people are too jaded from being told they're lazy with no drive to care about anything at all.

It's amazing what people can do when they want to do it and have the motivation. But recruiting people to a place supposedly ran on "Fun" and "Respect" where they don't have fun, and aren't given respect is hard to do. Even harder if you're the one trying to spin that story for them.

Virtus Tentamine Gaudet
    FM For 6 wars spanning 3 generations

Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
    That, or people are too jaded from being told they're lazy with no drive to care about anything at all.

It's amazing what people can do when they want to do it and have the motivation. But recruiting people to a place supposedly ran on "Fun" and "Respect" where they don't have fun, and aren't given respect is hard to do. Even harder if you're the one trying to spin that story for them.
    Or perhaps someone is filling their heads with BS and trying to take people away from the community.....

REDD or BLUE Resistance comes through!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythonian View Post
    Silko isn't an innate troublemaker, and doesn't intentionally break the rules.
    Co-Founder of the Resistance
    Undefeated on Reach

Thread Information