Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it to the 15min time limit

14 53.85%
  • Reduce it to a short time: like 10 mins or so

5 19.23%
  • Change it to a set score limit and keep the 15 mins

6 23.08%
  • Change it to a set score limit and reduce the time of the match to 10 mins or so

1 3.85%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Elite BLUE Veteran
    Spirit of Hope
    Vacuus Quietis
    Psalms of Planets
    Blog Posts

Change the traditional 15min time limit to something else?

Yup, you read that right. We are asking you guys if you think we should change from our usual 15min time limit to a score limit/shorter time limit.

Another thing suggested that was brought up in our war council meeting among other things.
    "I bought a xbox one to watch my team suck in HD"

Re: Change the traditional 15min time limit to something else?

I feel like 15 is fine, it's just long enough for some crazy things to happen. epic comebacks, etc.
    Spem Successus Alit

RP forces
    RP Units guide

Quote Originally Posted by silversleek View Post
    epic comebacks
    This pretty much sums up Vague Memories vs Equinox on Remnant
    \[T]/ PRAISE THE SUN \[T]/

I am for adjusting either the time limit or score/kill cap. I would like to see some testing though to find a good balance between the two though. 15 minutes is a long time; reducing the time limit and/or setting a score cap would also alleviate some of the games in which some teams get down on the score board by a large margin.
    "Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear"

-ZERO SHOTS MISSING-

WH PS ICoH CM DS S EB VC IV

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Remember
    RedWatch

DarkSail Raiders
    Apple Fanboy

I'm really torn on this issue.

There have been numerous games that my team has been playing until the last seconds in a 15 minute game and the winner was decided within the last couple of seconds. But I'm also played too many games that have been decided within the first minute of the game starting and the remaining 14 minutes are boring with one side running away with an easy win.

To me adjusting the score limit/time limit is attempting to address a symptom of a larger issue (skill balance). I don't think anybody complains that intense games that go down to the 14th minute are too long or not fun. People don't like playing long games when the winner is decided within the first minute.

Balancing a score limit will be extremely difficult. The score limit will either be so high that nobody will ever reach it (making it kinda pointless) or it will be too low where games will be ending early when the game is still close. Having a score limit is not necessarily a bad thing, but it will change a lot of the incentives in the game.

Luckily we have lots of data that can be analyzed to see if it is really possible to pick a hard limit on scores that archives the desired effect. I'll post again when I run a few calculations.

NO MERCY >
    HighLight is the best player in vbd.

http://fcwars.net/forums/image.php?u=1093&type=sig  pic&dateline=1375446743

Livestreams
    View Channel: gamexsolid

A possible solution is a SCORE GAP? Once the difference in score gets to exceed said amount the match is to be ended? For Hill 30, Oddball, and Slayer. CTF seems like one of those play til the end ya know
    BLACKGUARD

We will never quit. We will never stop. We will never give up!
    My Game is Well... Solid.
    Train as you would fight. All soldiers are entitled to outstanding leadership. I will provide that leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Mos Deaf View Post
    This pretty much sums up Vague Memories vs Equinox on Remnant
    exactly, that kind of thing wouldn't be possible with a shorter time.

Quote Originally Posted by Guzzie View Post
    I am for adjusting either the time limit or score/kill cap. I would like to see some testing though to find a good balance between the two though. 15 minutes is a long time; reducing the time limit and/or setting a score cap would also alleviate some of the games in which some teams get down on the score board by a large margin.
    I would have thought you'd be for keeping the 15 minutes, vbd has historically performed better in the last half of their games. (from my observations)
    Spem Successus Alit

RP forces
    RP Units guide

Quote Originally Posted by Houdini View Post

There have been numerous games that my team has been playing until the last seconds in a 15 minute game and the winner was decided within the last couple of seconds. But I'm also played too many games that have been decided within the first minute of the game starting and the remaining 14 minutes are boring with one side running away with an easy win.

To me adjusting the score limit/time limit is attempting to address a symptom of a larger issue (skill balance). I don't think anybody complains that intense games that go down to the 14th minute are too long or not fun. People don't like playing long games when the winner is decided within the first minute.

Balancing a score limit will be extremely difficult. The score limit will either be so high that nobody will ever reach it (making it kinda pointless) or it will be too low where games will be ending early when the game is still close. Having a score limit is not necessarily a bad thing, but it will change a lot of the incentives in the game.

Luckily we have lots of data that can be analyzed to see if it is really possible to pick a hard limit on scores that archives the desired effect. I'll post again when I run a few calculations.
    Basically my stance.
    Former Field Marshal and General of the BLUE Army
    The Undisputed "Race" Champion of the Forerunner Conflict's 8th Anniversary Celebrations

Click here to buy some awesome apparel! Half of the profit from FC-related swag goes right back to FC!

Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Houdini View Post

^

REDD or BLUE Resistance comes through!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythonian View Post
    Silko isn't an innate troublemaker, and doesn't intentionally break the rules.
    Co-Founder of the Resistance
    Undefeated on Reach

Thread Information