Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Remember
    RedWatch

DarkSail Raiders
    Apple Fanboy

Re: Changing the Community for the Better

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Demon Lee View Post
    It'll make BN funner because you can't wait to trash the other team, because you've been practicing. A little competitiveness never killed anyone.
    I strongly disagree with the idea that trashing another team is fun. I personally hate being on either side of a lopsided game. When my squad is dominating I usually just drop the control and go do something else because the game is so boring.

Remember
    RedWatch

DarkSail Raiders
    Apple Fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by tron View Post
    Look, why don't Redd army put together their own super squad to fight "that pesky Blue one"? Without naming names, we have some high skilled players too. It could be a temporary squad if necessary, put them together to fight vbd then they could go back to regular squads for the rest of the war. If vbd are unbeatable by a mixed skill squad (which seems to be the case) then perhaps battle nights need a separate one off game for the uber squads?
    At least in my experience the idea of building a stacked team within either army is usually very frowned upon. I think a culture like this where both armies strategically arrange players in squads would be very interesting, but would also have repercussions of making the players not selected for this super squad feel left out.

This type of solution is most definitely a choice of vision for the community. Do we want a community that is more closely aligned with absolute competition? I honestly don't know, but I do think we need a unified vision for what the community represents and should be. Right now, I feel like FC is being led by a multitude of ideas and all of those ideas cannot exist in harmony, thus the conflict.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Soap View Post
    I suggest putting an event which is beneficial to FC in between the two battle nights - maybe an optional recruitment event maybe? If we have a scheduled time slot for such an event, it may motivate people to actually play, talk and recruit. I personally would be willing to come to such an event, and I reckon we could get a good 10-20 recruits in one day if we really try as a community.
    As a community I don't think we have ever really had an issue getting recruits. The primary issue is in retention. Even during MCC we had something like 60+ people enlisting in the armies, but almost all of them showed up to a single battle night (or less) and disappeared.

Useless without Toast Jam Cliché's Avatar
    Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: jamcliche

Quote Originally Posted by NervyDestroyer View Post
    I thought you were making an assumption about what I said? I don't know why you had to get all fired up and ragey about it when you could have said that without treating me like shit...
    Once again, putting words (or emotions, I guess?) in my mouth. I am not fired up, ragey, or trying to offend you. I just don't like someone changing what I am saying to fit their agenda.

The unfair levels of challenge can't be fixed successfully without removing people, this solution adds the variety you were talking about. Reviving the warsim will hopefully bring the concepts FC was founded on with army play back. I think I see where you're coming from with lack of rewards though and maybe some individual based achievements for Battlenight and the warsim. Whether or not this solution is accepted, those should still be a thing regardless. Communication barriers I don't particularly see? Could you elaborate? Malcontent would ideally be reduced by lowering stress levels. Outside stressors can never be solved with a simple solution, they are always different and will always be here regardless of whatever solution is made. You're definitely correct there and I see your point. I'm sorry I didn't mean to be that suggestive because you're right, it's not the only problem, but I do believe it's a problem regardless.
    This is a series of individual responses to a list of factors I presented about stress, right? If so, I think you drastically misinterpreted me. You're responding as though I cited those things as effects, I was citing them as causes. You claimed that the time crunch was the main cause of stress and frustration. I presented that list as a counterpoint saying that they are the cause, not the time crunch.

You're absolutely right here, it won't magically fix a bad experience on Battlenight or even if there's a bad experience during the warsim week no matter how much time is given. I'm trying to increase the bullshit tolerance by reducing stress which would ideally reduce the radioactive meltdowns that happen and the angry mini-rants. Hopefully with the reduced stress, everyone will stop blaming each other all the time and actually start working toward even more productive solutions. I wouldn't want people to get overly stressed and see the hospital like you said which is why I want to make a more productive environment to avoid that.
    Here you also misinterpreted me. I am not accusing your suggestion of failing to solve the problem of bad experiences during battles. I am saying that you're aiming at a completely wrong target. My point in this whole conversation has been that time, by itself, is not a cause of stress. I am saying that the density of good or bad experiences within a given timeframe is what will or won't cause stress. You also talked again about "meltdowns," and missed the point of my reply again. In that statement, I said that if anyone experiences one of these episodes, they need to seek assistance outside this community. Nothing you do with the schedule of events is going to help somebody who compulsively overcommits.

I may have misunderstood what you were saying and for that I apologize. I get why you would be mad, but it was honestly just a bad interpretation...
    I am not angry, so please don't think I am. Misunderstandings happen.

That's fair, maybe I shouldn't have forced that so brashly. I feel that Battlenight and the warsim have grown apart which I'm upset at. I want it back and this is the best method I can think of that would have it come back more meaningfully. Maybe it will leak over into the wars, maybe it won't either way, I want it back meaningfully which can't be done with Battlenight currently that would transition smoothly... That was a badly worded comment on my part and I redact it because you're correct...
    I think you and I can both agree on the fact that the battles and the FC canon have grown apart. But I don't see how artificially extending the wars with these "breaks" is going to fix that. Inserting a "lore event" I can almost understand, but as I said, I feel that doing so would be admitting that FC's battle night and RP-related activities exist in different universes, and we don't want that. We should find some way to have lore exist as a dependent function of our events.

Why are you saying my suggestion had no substance? Did I not provide clear reasoning for everything I put? That was pretty out there and just simply not true. It has a lot of substance you just disagree with it which is fine... Battlenight is stressful and there's no variety, same shit every week. That's gets stale and old. I want to change up the way events are scheduled as a ways to bring back the warsim that made FC special for a lot of people, reduce the stress of Battlenight by not having it all the time, and allow for squads to gain more chemistry with each other in a more robust way. This allows flexibility for that to happen.
    Not referring to your entire suggestion from your original post. I was referring to the vague description of a "lore based event" and the use of descriptors like "meaningful." In any case, my question still stands: even if you can justify and create a separate event that is deemed equally important as battles, why would you put a break week in between them? Wouldn't one event simply serve as a break from the other as they alternate?

Again, the result of the misinterpretation. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth or be opportunistic. It was literally just a misinterpretation which is a mistake on my part... I'll read back through your comment with that in mind and make an edit on this post...
    I appreciate that, and likewise I've done my best to clarify any of my previous points in my response here.
    Last edited by Jam Cliché; 12-09-2015 at 03:08 PM.

Real power comes from the man next to you and is built on the foundations of brotherhood and unity. There is no such thing as a one man army.

Quote Originally Posted by Houdini View Post
    This type of solution is most definitely a choice of vision for the community. Do we want a community that is more closely aligned with absolute competition? I honestly don't know, but I do think we need a unified vision for what the community represents and should be. Right now, I feel like FC is being led by a multitude of ideas and all of those ideas cannot exist in harmony, thus the conflict.
    This is also really interesting and is another possible thing... not really solution, but thing. It's not popular, but would be weird actually. How would that even work? Alright I'm not suggesting we go MLG, but still pretty damn intriguing to think about
    "Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now."

Remember
    RedWatch

DarkSail Raiders
    Apple Fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by NervyDestroyer View Post
    This is also really interesting and is another possible thing... not really solution, but thing. It's not popular, but would be weird actually. How would that even work? Alright I'm not suggesting we go MLG, but still pretty damn intriguing to think about
    This was my reaction exactly when I first read tron's suggestion.

Animus 4 Ever
    SpcX
    Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: jamidj

This was my reaction exactly when I first read tron's suggestion.
    FC needs a mission statement. What is it we promote here 1st and foremost above all others?
    ۰۪۫J۰۰۪۫a۰۰۪۫m۰۰۪۫i ۰۰۪۫e۰۰۪۫D۰۰۪۫ J۰Purple Army Elite Trooper
    What We Do In Life, Echos in Eternity.

Remember
    RedWatch

DarkSail Raiders
    Apple Fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by JamiDJ View Post
    FC needs a mission statement. What is it we promote here 1st and foremost above all others?
    This should probably be branched off into another thread. I feel like this discussion will get very heated very quickly and de-rail Nervy's original suggestion.

Useless without Toast Jam Cliché's Avatar
    Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: jamcliche

Quote Originally Posted by JamiDJ View Post
    That's simple. Respect and Fun.

Real power comes from the man next to you and is built on the foundations of brotherhood and unity. There is no such thing as a one man army.

Animus 4 Ever
    SpcX
    Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: jamidj

Quote Originally Posted by Jam Cliché View Post
    That's simple. Respect and Fun.
    Great Start to what could be a great mission statement. What would follow? What would be the first message new people see and understand when they visit FC?

- - - Updated - - -

This should probably be branched off into another thread. I feel like this discussion will get very heated very quickly and de-rail Nervy's original suggestion.
    Very true, lets start a new thread on this one. sorry didnt mean to derail the discussion
    ۰۪۫J۰۰۪۫a۰۰۪۫m۰۰۪۫i ۰۰۪۫e۰۰۪۫D۰۰۪۫ J۰Purple Army Elite Trooper
    What We Do In Life, Echos in Eternity.

Thanks Houdini.

That would be preferable if things are kept relevant
    "Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now."

Thread Information