Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Remember
    RedWatch

DarkSail Raiders
    Apple Fanboy

Re: FC Mission Statement?

This is going to be a little bit more than just a "Fun and Respect" mission statement. I've tried to elaborate on a couple of actual "visions" for what the community could look like. I would expect there would be at least a few people who hate and who would like each individual vision. There probably are infinite variations or completely distinct visions, but these are ones I stole from other people or came up with that I think would fit the FC context.

1. Pure War Sim (i.e. ultra competitive)
    Lore-ish: In a true war, squads are aligned based on talents. Not everyone can be a SEAL. The leaders of the armies are allowed to make strategic decisions to win at all costs.
    For Us: No restrictions on squad stacking. No support for lower skilled squads. The winner is the winner and that is the army that should be victorious. If one army just has all of the good people, that army should be stomping on the other army.

2. Friendly Role Playing (i.e. non-competitive)
    Lore-ish: Think about the people who go out an re-enact Civil war battles and what not. That culture doesn't have to deal with skill balance of conflict. Everybody is equal and both sides are more or less balanced.
    For Us: The winner and the loser are not significant. People don't have strong affiliations with an army, but instead have affiliations for the war-sim as a whole. Everybody on battle night is divided equally to make the numbers/skill matchup for a neutral playing field balance.

3. Matchmaking War Training (i.e. matchmaking war simulation)
    Lore-ish: Halo 4 did the Spartan 4 thing where there is a context for the matches that everybody is in some sort of training program. There are restrictions on what type of behaviors and balances are permitted to keep the simulation fair.
    For Us: Matches are designed to be competitive in the scope that people are playing to win, but the context in which they play to win is inherently balanced by rules and guidelines. Matchmaking sometimes takes a long time and not everybody plays the same amount of games because not everybody matches well with other parties. People can still play with their friends and choose who they play with, but they are subject to the system to determine who they actually play against to ensure some minimal standard of fairness.

4. Singles Instance Wars (i.e. re-drafting/re-allignment during peacetime)
    Lore-ish: Each individual war is considered a distinct scenario. There is no carry over between wars. Think about how you could be simulating a war in Europe and then the American Civil war. The factions are inherently different.
    For Us: The beginning of each war there is "balancing" (probably a player draft) where players are assigned to a faction for the duration of the war. They build an army and train in that faction in a competitive structure with minimal restrictions on how the players can be aligned within a specific army. No matter how balanced or imbalanced the previous war was, when everything is done a new re-balancing is conducted before the next war.

5. Competitive Balance (i.e. maximize the balance at all costs)
    Lore-ish: Individuals going into matchmaking without a party. (This actually doesn't really exist well in real life)
    For Us: The beginning of each war there is a "balancing." In addition, there are strict guidelines imposed about how the squads and teams can be formed throughout the war. New recruits or returning non-drafted members have strict guidelines about where they can join the system. The goal is that every match will be as equally started as possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jam Cliché View Post
    I'm not talking about what FC did then. I'm talking about how it saw itself.
    We're probably not going to get a good picture of that. Memories about what FC stood for are most certainly corrupted by Nostalgia and the general lack of people who are still around and active from all that time ago.

But your point makes more sense with that clarification.

Useless without Toast Jam Cliché's Avatar
    Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: jamcliche

Oh, Houdini, that's some juicy stuff. I am betting that every "iteration" of FC could be defined from an assortment of cherrypicked characteristics from one or more of those 5 categories. And we could do the same thing as a goal-setting exercise.

EDIT: Apparently this didn't come across as friendly. I don't mean any offense here, I was hashing out an actual suggestion. See posts below.
    Last edited by Jam Cliché; 12-10-2015 at 07:28 AM.

Real power comes from the man next to you and is built on the foundations of brotherhood and unity. There is no such thing as a one man army.

Oh, Houdini, that's some juicy stuff. I am betting that every "iteration" of FC could be defined from an assortment of cherrypicked characteristics from one or more of those 5 categories. And we could do the same thing as a goal-setting exercise.
    If you're going make sarcastic jabs because someone has differing views, you add nothing worthwhile to the discussion

Get angry if you want, I'm just saying

It only pisses people off and gets everyone all worked up needlessly
    Last edited by NervyDestroyer; 12-09-2015 at 09:39 PM.
    "Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now."

Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NervyDestroyer View Post
    If you're going make sarcastic jabs because someone has differing views, you add nothing worthwhile to the discussion

Get angry if you want, I'm just saying

It only pisses people off and gets everyone all worked up needlessly
    Nervy I think you need to take a breather from the forums man. Jam was complimenting Houdini and not being sarcastic at all...
    Joined April 2007
    Founder of the LARP
    Founder of the Imperial Office of Naval Intelligence
    Squads led:
    Halo 3 Era: XO of Wolf Squad, CO of Nova Squad
    Halo Reach Era: CO of 1st Marines Platoon, CO of Foxtrot Squad, CO of Wolfpack Squad, CO of REDWATCH Special Forces
    Halo 4 Era: CO of REDWATCH Special Forces, Director of Imperial Office of Naval Intelligence and Project ARTEMIS, CO of the Dark Sail Raiders
    Halo 5 Era: CO of REDWATCH Special Forces

Blog Posts
    Livestreams

I was being serious. Every one of those variations has one or two aspects that FC has tried to use in the past in different combinations. Seems like a step in the right direction for building this "mission statement." We want it to be something detailed but short enough to summarize FC to the masses, yeah?

Nervy, multiple times today, across multiple topics, you've been accusing me of saying things or displaying attitudes that I haven't been. I can accept one misunderstanding, even two, but this makes at least five. I'm trying to let it go, because we've worked together before, but this kind of pattern is beginning to suggest some sort of ulterior motive. We both want the same thing here, even if we disagree on the details, and I don't want you or anyone else to believe that I am just ignoring or walking over anyone who disagrees with me. It's not like that. I simply have no intention of being soft about my views.

For instance, when I tried to present my thoughts to you in the Renegade chat earlier today, I opted to be gentler than I have been here on the forums. I was outright ignored. I don't want that, I want to be involved. I intend for my opinion to be heard, and to give my feedback on all the ideas that come across this community during this time of transition. That means I'm going to be direct and concise, but that isn't the same thing as aggressive or flippant. You might call it ridicule, especially when I'm blunt, but I just call it debate. Alright?

Real power comes from the man next to you and is built on the foundations of brotherhood and unity. There is no such thing as a one man army.

I was being serious. Every one of those variations has one or two aspects that FC has tried to use in the past in different combinations. Seems like a step in the right direction for building this "mission statement." We want it to be something detailed but short enough to summarize FC to the masses, yeah?

Nervy, multiple times today, across multiple topics, you've been accusing me of saying things or displaying attitudes that I haven't been. I can accept one misunderstanding, even two, but this makes at least five. I'm trying to let it go, because we've worked together before, but this kind of pattern is beginning to suggest some sort of ulterior motive. We both want the same thing here, even if we disagree on the details, and I don't want you or anyone else to believe that I am just ignoring or walking over anyone who disagrees with me. It's not like that. I simply have no intention of being soft about my views.

For instance, when I tried to present my thoughts to you in the Renegade chat earlier today, I opted to be gentler than I have been here on the forums. I was outright ignored. I don't want that, I want to be involved. I intend for my opinion to be heard, and to give my feedback on all the ideas that come across this community during this time of transition. That means I'm going to be direct and concise, but that isn't the same thing as aggressive or flippant. You might call it ridicule, especially when I'm blunt, but I just call it debate. Alright?
    Honestly, that looked like a sarcastic jab. Like it really did. Even reading it over again after reading what you wrote, it still looks like one. I honestly think it was the quotations, or the "Oh" at the beginning. Still looks like one.

Doesn't matter, I'll take your word for it, but the wording could be a lot better to not have it look like that. I don't know if it's just me, but that's what it looks like :/

As for ulterior motives, uh no, I don't really have a hidden agenda. That'd be pretty damn dickish, like I'd have to change my gamertag to XOTRUMPXO.

Again I re-read it like 5 times and it still looks like sarcasm which naturally upset me since Houdini took the time to write out that nice comment above. The wording is just not good to put it bluntly from my perspective. I'll still take your word for it, but like whoa.

I would always suggest a gentler approach personally, I feel it goes over better. When you posted your opinion it was at the latter end of a 2 hour... whatever the hell that was in which at the end I was frustrated. I'd rather not flip so I dropped out of the convo. You're free to PM whatever view you have in fact that's what I prefer. Easier to see points when I don't have like 6 different people talking at once

Quote Originally Posted by VerbotenDonkey View Post
    Nervy I think you need to take a breather from the forums man. Jam was complimenting Houdini and not being sarcastic at all...
    Lol you're probably right. I can't read it as a compliment. Like I really just can't. Maybe I've gotten so used to people being sarcastic I actually expect it

#SkypeEffect
    Last edited by NervyDestroyer; 12-10-2015 at 12:57 AM.
    "Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now."

Blog Posts
    Livestreams

So, I'm gonna dish out some shorthand terms pulled from Houdini's write-up to describe how I think we could start. This is about defining ourselves as a warsim. Each row in the table represents a characteristic and four levels of intensity. Let me know if I should clarify any entries.

The idea is to decide what level of intensity we fit into in each characteristic. Also, if anyone has a category that I have missed, suggest it.

Competitiveness: Totally Casual Formal but Casual Relaxed but Competitive Totally Competitive
    Balance: Voluntary Transfers Squad Trades Small Group Drafts Mandatory Player Drafts
    Roleplay: Totally RP RP and Battles Coincide Battles Precede RP Battles Determine Lore
    Unit Freedom: No Rules Squad Leader Rules Army Guidelines Strict Army Rules
    Army Leadership: Elections Every War Leader Retires then Election Leader Chooses Successor War Council Picks Leaders

Remember
    RedWatch

DarkSail Raiders
    Apple Fanboy

EDIT: Apparently this didn't come across as friendly. I don't mean any offense here, I was hashing out an actual suggestion. See posts below.
    I didn't take offense to this. So no worries there. I understood what you were getting at.

- - - Updated - - -

So, I'm gonna dish out some shorthand terms pulled from Houdini's write-up to describe how I think we could start. This is about defining ourselves as a warsim. Each row in the table represents a characteristic and four levels of intensity. Let me know if I should clarify any entries.

The idea is to decide what level of intensity we fit into in each characteristic. Also, if anyone has a category that I have missed, suggest it.

Competitiveness: Totally Casual Formal but Casual Relaxed but Competitive Totally Competitive
    Balance: Voluntary Transfers Squad Trades Small Group Drafts Mandatory Player Drafts
    Roleplay: Totally RP RP and Battles Coincide Battles Precede RP Battles Determine Lore
    Army Leadership: Elections Every War Leader Retires then Election Leader Chooses Successor War Council Picks Leaders
    I kinda confused. Are you saying that a totally competitive community would have War Council Picking leaders? I don't really see those being inherently related.

Also, I think we're going to need more than just a chart to build a vision. A lot of the stuff we do is more nuanced that 4 distinct categories, but this is a good start.

Blog Posts
    Livestreams

Quote Originally Posted by Houdini View Post
    I didn't take offense to this. So no worries there. I understood what you were getting at.

- - - Updated - - -

I kinda confused. Are you saying that a totally competitive community would have War Council Picking leaders? I don't really see those being inherently related.

Also, I think we're going to need more than just a chart to build a vision. A lot of the stuff we do is more nuanced that 4 distinct categories, but this is a good start.
    Each row is a different, independent characteristic with four degrees of intensity. And we could use it to observe what combination FC fits into right now as well as decide what FC should change.

This is actually pretty damn good. Perhaps a combination of some of that. For one, I like the idea of War Council selecting leaders, as long as it doesn't turn into a popularity contest that it. I like role-play and battles coinciding, that's pretty cool since they kind of go hand-in-hand which would add to the lore pretty damn remarkably.

I don't know if picking one category is good, maybe mixing and matching a little bit?

Thread Information