Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Re: FC Mission Statement?

The best mission statements, I would argue, are the simple; short ones. It leaves little room for interpretation, usually packs a resonating punch, and gets the message across. Realistically, when one is browsing through a selection of communities to join, a potential applicant will only read the first few lines. It's like writing a good book. If the reader isn't hooked by the first few sentences, you lose the catch. And before I start hearing retorts like "Oh, he/she couldn't be bothered to read it so they are unfit to be part of FC." This is really the basic rules of advertising, and by extension, marketing speaking. FC is like a product to the internet, and we need to try and sell it without over-encumbering the potential applicant with a wall of text, that they might not even reach the end of before deciding whether to join or not. Just offering some two cents that hopefully more or less encourages some self-critiquing so that you can perfect this idea. I like where it's going.
    "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty."
    ON THE WATCH
    REMEMBER REACH

Remember
    RedWatch

DarkSail Raiders
    Apple Fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by Lithswitch View Post
    The best mission statements, I would argue, are the simple; short ones. It leaves little room for interpretation, usually packs a resonating punch, and gets the message across. Realistically, when one is browsing through a selection of communities to join, a potential applicant will only read the first few lines. It's like writing a good book. If the reader isn't hooked by the first few sentences, you lose the catch. And before I start hearing retorts like "Oh, he/she couldn't be bothered to read it so they are unfit to be part of FC." This is really the basic rules of advertising, and by extension, marketing speaking. FC is like a product to the internet, and we need to try and sell it without over-encumbering the potential applicant with a wall of text, that they might not even reach the end of before deciding whether to join or not. Just offering some two cents that hopefully more or less encourages some self-critiquing so that you can perfect this idea. I like where it's going.
    I think we already have our short pitch "join for fun and respect."

The real problem I see is that we don't have a clear vision of what this community is suppose to be. There are many people all advocating different variations of the same war-sim community. It would be much better to have a well thought out even verbose sort of guidelines that explain how we are suppose to implement the "fun and respect."

Quote Originally Posted by Houdini View Post
    I think we already have our short pitch "join for fun and respect."

The real problem I see is that we don't have a clear vision of what this community is suppose to be. There are many people all advocating different variations of the same war-sim community. It would be much better to have a well thought out even verbose sort of guidelines that explain how we are suppose to implement the "fun and respect."
    People might use different words when recruiting, but we're all conveying the same message. Also, I think "join for fun and respect" is too short.
    "Different name, same fate."
    Quote Originally Posted by WM Feedback View Post
    I (Feedback) tried to flank them Barry Soap style, but it didn't really work out and I just ended up hiding a lot
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
    Damn you barry, being seductive to all those recruits by painting vivid, purdy imagery with your words.

Apologies for the late reply, but Barry actually beat me to the punch. Although you said, quite rightly, that the current short pitch is "fun and respect", the basis of what I'm getting at, is we just need a slightly larger version of that (although perhaps changed if that no longer falls under the current vision of FC). Not necessarily a long and encumbered wall of text detailing every "P and Q". My reasoning is already explained in the previous post, of course.
    "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty."
    ON THE WATCH
    REMEMBER REACH

Remember
    RedWatch

DarkSail Raiders
    Apple Fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by Lithswitch View Post
    Apologies for the late reply, but Barry actually beat me to the punch. Although you said, quite rightly, that the current short pitch is "fun and respect", the basis of what I'm getting at, is we just need a slightly larger version of that (although perhaps changed if that no longer falls under the current vision of FC). Not necessarily a long and encumbered wall of text detailing every "P and Q". My reasoning is already explained in the previous post, of course.
    I think we actually agree then. In my opinion, the long wall of text is the accords (which has exactly the same limitations of nobody reading it as you mentioned already).

I think we need more than a one sentence tag line, but nothing longer than a paragraph.

Maybe a sentence for each of these categories/questions:
    What is the most important goal in the community?
    What type of competitive atmosphere do we create?
    How do we ensure balance in the community?
    What is the role of lore/RP in the community?
    How is leadership structured in the community?

I'm thinking something along the lines of these examples, but probably a little more descriptive.

We need to sell the community as we are, don't sell it as something we aren't.

We aren't a casual gaming community. We need to ensure recruits know what they're coming into
    You are not a godless fucking moron
    You are still a moron but not a godless fucking one
    - Silko, 2016

Thread Information