5 11.63%
  • Player Draft

23 53.49%
  • No Draft

15 34.88%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Draft

Re: Draft

This guy talks a lot of sense,I'd try lending him your ears guys.

Blog Posts

Alright since we're all throwing our two cents in, I guess I'll chuck my 2 AM sleep-induced speech into the mix.

I've been in FC since April of 2007 and in that time, this community has definitely changed face a lot. Again, I'll just be throwing my opinion into the mix here and what I enjoy, so that's probably not what the majority is thinking.

1. Keep unique things running to keep people interested.
    - At the moment, I feel like people are just lumped into a Squad and told to show up on Sunday. This community has such a vast history to it that I feel is not being taken advantage of. I remember back in the day Eri and Loco started the AIs. One day, there were these cryptic messages just floating on the forums and mysterious AIs. Nobody knew if we were being hacked or what (The High Commands played it as they couldnt remove their mod powers). I don't know about anyone else, but every day I'd run home from school to see what was new with these AIs. Then we had Jonathan Craig reporting on news throughout the galaxy. His news reports had people coming to the forums to see what new atrocities either side was committing or an interview with a member of a certain Faction. Even on a Squad-based level I had created the figure of Lt. Colonel Dragner to post sitreps in REDWATCH.

The point I'm making here is throughout our life as a community, we've always had something to draw people in wide-eyed with wonder and it makes the community feel like a vast entity. Since I'm seeing a lot of new faces in the War Council, my advice is this. Keep something unique with the community running. Give members something to wonder about or something to come read. Anything to keep them involved in the community.

2. Second point I'll touch on is structure itself. My favorite time period was definitely the first war of Halo 3. The community was restructured, renamed to Forerunner Conflict from RvBR, and given new life. Similarly, new Squads were there. But one of the coolest things about this time period was each Squad had an identity. It seemed like most Squads crowned themselves with a unique emblem and when Sunday rolled around and you got your invite from the FM to join up to create a Battle Night party, you'd know upon entrance what Squad you were facing. I've never been an advocate for Squad Emblems, because I do think that Squads should be given that freedom to choose what they want, but recently I've just been feeling that certain Squads just lack identity and I need to check the statbook to see what Squad it is we're playing.

My suggestion here is this. If you do go through with player drafts (and personally I think you should), pick out a handful of people who agree to lead Squads. Have them come up with an emblem to identify their Squad with. Then give their Squad a little lore-based back story. Another memory I had was when Ghosthammer had taken charge of REDD post-Firestorm I believe. At this point, everyone was reverted to regular members and we had just stepped foot back into the Army forums and we were greeted with such a gracious overhaul. Each Platoon we would be receiving was given a little history tied to the Empire and some engagements they were known for. Again, just a moment of wonder. Something like this I think would be a positive step in reengaging that feeling of wonder from before.

I'm going to stop here because my eyes are drooping but this is just my outsider view and what I believe, as an experience Squad Leader, has really kept members sticking around. I could go on into the dwindling of the War-Sim feeling, but I'm going to stop here. If you've made it this far, thanks for reading. c:
    Joined April 2007
    Founder of the LARP
    Founder of the Imperial Office of Naval Intelligence
    Squads led:
    Halo 3 Era: XO of Wolf Squad, CO of Nova Squad
    Halo Reach Era: CO of 1st Marines Platoon, CO of Foxtrot Squad, CO of Wolfpack Squad, CO of REDWATCH Special Forces
    Halo 4 Era: CO of REDWATCH Special Forces, Director of Imperial Office of Naval Intelligence and Project ARTEMIS, CO of the Dark Sail Raiders
    Halo 5 Era: CO of REDWATCH Special Forces

Thank you for your input,it was also very much helpful. I agree.

Thank you donkey, that was very helpful. One thing to note especially is

1. Keep unique things running to keep people interested.
    - At the moment, I feel like people are just lumped into a Squad and told to show up on Sunday. This community has such a vast history to it that I feel is not being taken advantage of. I remember back in the day Eri and Loco started the AIs. One day, there were these cryptic messages just floating on the forums and mysterious AIs. Nobody knew if we were being hacked or what (The High Commands played it as they couldnt remove their mod powers). I don't know about anyone else, but every day I'd run home from school to see what was new with these AIs. Then we had Jonathan Craig reporting on news throughout the galaxy. His news reports had people coming to the forums to see what new atrocities either side was committing or an interview with a member of a certain Faction. Even on a Squad-based level I had created the figure of Lt. Colonel Dragner to post sitreps in REDWATCH.
    I used to love these NPC interactions! Nothing says they can't be brought back

I have seen some "Imperia" person floating around.. not sure what's up with that but i like the mystery.
    Spem Successus Alit

RP forces
    RP Units guide

Draft

First step to solving a problem is recognizing there is one. I think we've nailed that on the head for the last year. That second step is coming up with a solution, that's been less than successful.

I've seen one half bitch because things change too much and we need to return to the roots. I've seen the other half bitch because the old way sucks. It's like 2 political parties that are stubborn.

To quote something I said a bit ago: "Only fools argue over how to cook spoiled meat." This draft idea isn't a bad idea, it's actually pretty good when you think about it. However both sides disagree with how it's handled. One side says it's bad change (all change is arguably bad change) and the other wants to go back to the way things were. The very way which isn't fucking working right now for us. Not saying it never did, but at the current moment from a realistic point of view, it's not working right now.

This draft idea needs to be supplemented with something else to really get that hook, line, and sinker. Perhaps an overhaul of the Battlenight system and how it works could be cool if done right.

There is the issue of changing too much and that is relevant, the whole army vs army theme works really well and is quite ingenious. Keeping that theme and, as Myth said, fixing the foundation to rebuild on it would work wonders.

Also recruitment is arguable the most important step, it's not enough to fix the concept, the concept has gotta be sold to others because they sure as hell won't waltz in...

In conclusion, FC is in really bad shape. Before I retired and had the insiders view, I can easily see why a draft and a change to the normal formula is dumb. I was one of the biggest opponents to a draft. Being on the outside gave a new perspective. FC needs some kind of overhaul. If it doesn't go quite the way you want it to, deal with it and make it work. Do something different.
    Last edited by NervyDestroyer; 05-09-2016 at 04:30 AM.
    "Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now."

Quote Originally Posted by NervyDestroyer View Post
    Also recruitment is arguable the most important step, it's not enough to fix the concept, the concept has gotta be sold to others because they sure as hell won't waltz in...

I'd argue this is our weakest point right now, we have people retiring due to life faster than we have an influx of new people, because we don't have many people dedicated to recruiting. I'm guilty of it as much as anyone, hell, i'm literally paying people with FC swag to recruit because I have trouble getting over my own insecurities with it. Other than Dusk, I can't think of who the last person to bring a recruit in was. (ominous brought in two friends when he came back, but I think they're both also returning members?)
    Spem Successus Alit

RP forces
    RP Units guide

Quote Originally Posted by silversleek View Post
    I'd argue this is our weakest point right now, we have people retiring due to life faster than we have an influx of new people, because we don't have many people dedicated to recruiting. I'm guilty of it as much as anyone, hell, i'm literally paying people with FC swag to recruit because I have trouble getting over my own insecurities with it. Other than Dusk, I can't think of who the last person to bring a recruit in was. (ominous brought in two friends when he came back, but I think they're both also returning members?)
    Recruitment is actually difficult without some kind of direction. It gets easier when you have a direction and a particular set of skills that's really just selling a concept.

Like I said FC has arguably one of the coolest fucking concepts out of any community period.

I've always been willing to help with recruitment and the offer still stands if you or anyone else finds trouble recruiting because it is a difficult thing to get down...
    "Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now."

I'd argue this is our weakest point right now, we have people retiring due to life faster than we have an influx of new people
    They SAY they're leaving due to life progressing, but I highly doubt that's the cause of people leaving.

Cause of people leaving (in the last year or so, judged by resignation threads):

• Life: 3
    • Unknown: 1
    • FC: 12

Look at the resignations and notice the line, "FC just isn't for me".
    "Different name, same fate."
    Quote Originally Posted by WM Feedback View Post
    I (Feedback) tried to flank them Barry Soap style, but it didn't really work out and I just ended up hiding a lot
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
    Damn you barry, being seductive to all those recruits by painting vivid, purdy imagery with your words.

Remember
    RedWatch

DarkSail Raiders
    Apple Fanboy

Dedicated recruiting is nice, but not nearly as important as retaining the people you recruit.

Maybe it is worse now and we actually don't have people signing up, but in the recent past, getting people to signup was rather easy. The problem was after their first battle night they would just leave because they had a crappy experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Soap View Post
    They SAY they're leaving due to life progressing, but I highly doubt that's the cause of people leaving.

Cause of people leaving (in the last year or so, judged by resignation threads):

• Life: 3
    • Unknown: 1
    • FC: 12

Look at the resignations and notice the line, "FC just isn't for me".
    I'll just add to this that in the past I would actually schedule time on Sunday's for FC. This past war I stopped and let other real-life events take that space. It isn't because real life is getting in the way, it's because I stopped caring enough about FC to make an effort to find the time for FC.

Quote Originally Posted by Houdini View Post
    Dedicated recruiting is nice, but not nearly as important as retaining the people you recruit.

Maybe it is worse now and we actually don't have people signing up, but in the recent past, getting people to signup was rather easy. The problem was after their first battle night they would just leave because they had a crappy experience.
    Retainment is a step to successful recruitment. When I say "recruit successfully," I mean keeping the recruit as well otherwise it's not recruiting successfully.

In my previous post, I said recruitment AFTER fixing FC. Essentially as it stands, what we got going on right now, simply isn't working. So after the problem is directly fixed, recruitment is the next step which would also help with the retainment issue,

Thread Information