Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Neutral DI Overseer
    AimBot Andi
    DragonBorn
    Disturbed

Re: Discussion over Video Game caused Violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mi Boys Dinner View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm pretty sure that violence has been around longer than video games.

ಠ_ಠ
    Bad parenting predates technology... lol

Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ClearorangeZero View Post
    Video games may influence a persons' choices a little, just like anything in your local enviroment. So, depending on the child, they can influence a kid to go shoot the school up, but that is the child's choice, not the choice of the game. GAMES don't cause violence, PEOPLE do. And besides, Bacon's been shootin' covies since age 5. He's not a maniac bent on killing everything, is he? No, because he had good parents with him when he played.

"Video games cause violence" is another way to say "Parental supervision lacking".

Perfect example is a friend of mine with a little brother.

Okay...to make a long story short the parents spoil the little one, like a lot. And my friend and his sister are treated as if they're about to move out (they're about my age). Now recently my friend's had a gaming cap put on him each day, for like two hours a day and whatever he wants on the weekends.

His brother? Oh there's no limit. Just plays as much as he damn well pleases to. Now this child, playing halo since he's been born essentially, now relates EVERYTHING in his life to halo. Like seriously, to teach math his brother had to give him a lesson using plasma grenades so he could get it. It's a problem.

Now did the game influence the little brother? Hell yes.

Did the game influence the older brother? Hell no.

Did the parents say anything to help the little brother better understand video games and WHY they were made? No

Did they do that to the older one? No, but thank god we both ended up getting xbox's after we developed common sense.

You need to be there for your kids, and I think that's probably going to be one of the bigger challenges when we all eventually become gamer parents. It's not really a game of forbidding the kid from playing GTA IV at age 5, and asking no more questions about what's in it and why he shoulden't be even looking at the damn label. But you have to also explain either WHY he can't play it or WHY he shoulden't emulate what he sees, and that it's all based on fake science. So long as they understand that I see no way how all the blame has to be put on the games.
    An actual quote about me below the sig? Too mainstream. You get a unicorn instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Andimion View Post
    Bad parenting predates technology... lol

This. This fucker right here knows the truth.

(when I say fucker in this sense, it's means a good thing. don't hurt me)
    The fuck you looking at, asshat?

x: 176.06 y: 124.57 z: 27.97

Raz: Dinner= MY HERO
    Loco: dinner is the win
    Donkey: I should take Dinner out to dinner.

Rosario Vampire Topic= The Record of FC forever. 128 Pages.

Blog Posts

He probably will.....what are you doing start running bro!
    An actual quote about me below the sig? Too mainstream. You get a unicorn instead.

Most Interesting Man in the World
    Call-sign: Mother Bird
    Weapon of Mass Seduction
    Blog Posts

So I play violent videogames, yeah? Kill a few people or there, stab a baby or light an apartment on fire... girls just want to have fun, amirite?

Lol.

On a serious note, agree with Dinner and Rob. Its parenting, or absence there of, that leads to violence.

~Kuhblam

I don't interest myself in "why". I think more often in terms of "when", sometimes "where"; always "how much."
    ----

Do they get their violence from games or do the games get their violence from them? Do self esteem counselors have a client of the month?

~ Forerunner Conflict War 1 Veteran ~

Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MedeDust View Post
    Do they get their violence from games or do the games get their violence from them? Do self esteem counselors have a client of the month?
    Mede actually does have a point. The violence in games can't exist unless people see and know it exists in the real world.

Like....could they know how to re-create violence if they've never seen it in real life?

Thread Information