Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Laptop fan issue

So recently on my Macbook Pro my fans have been going kind of crazy. For awhile they'll be normal. But eventually they'll just roar up, even when I'm just browsing the internet. They'll go to about 5000rpm and the left fan will make this weird ass noise. Eventually they'll die down back to 1000rpm which is were they're usually at. But the left fan will still be making a noise. If I shut the lid, thus making it go into sleep mode, the noise will continue for a little bit and then stop.

When I reopen it and check iStat Pro, it tells me that the left fa is at 0rpm and the right is at it's normal of around 1000rpm. But when I put my ear next to the left speaker where the fan is located, I hear something like a humm as if the fan is running. What the F00K is going on here?

Please NO "It's because it's Apple."

PS. Please tell me it's NOT something wrong with the logic board. I'm dreading that.

Re: Laptop fan issue

Acid,

You sure that's reading correctly? 5000rpm is really fast.

If it is still under warranty you can take it to an Apple store, otherwise it sounds like the fan just went out. It's probably not the logic board. If it's not under warranty you could always open it up and just check on the fan. If something got jammed in there it won't move, otherwise it's not that expensive to buy just a new fan (they unmount from the logic board) and just swap it out.

-- KMS
    Memento Mori | Deo, patriae, amicis

Nope. Them fuckers were going 500rpm. I called Apple and it's going to cost $300 for a repair. So I'm just going to pay $50 for the both the fans and install them myself. I hope doing so fixes it because I love my MacBook Pro.

the fans are set to adjust their speeds depending on the temperature of your CPU, GPU and etc. make sure you set your laptop on a hard surface, if it is on your lap or a pillow or something your going to be restricting your airflow to your main components and making them run hot. you could try buying a cheap laptop cooling pad or something and this will keep your fans from running at faster RPM's. i doubt it would be easy to first find, and then replace the fans for a MBP.

try taking it apart and see if there's anything making the fan stop, it won't hurt cleaning some of the dust out of it anyways lol.
    # of BLUE'S KILLED: 1174 - First REDD member to 1000 kills.
    # of DEATHS VS BLUE: --
    KILL TO DEATH RATIO VS BLUE: --
    VBD RECORD: 19-1

Banned BANNED USER
    Blog Posts

my laptop burns my skin

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Poder View Post
    my laptop burns my skin
    heat is any electronic's worst nightmare. if your computer runs hotter than it is suppose to, your going to be buying a new one very soon lol. for laptops, at least keep them on a hard surface if not on some kind of cooling pad.
    # of BLUE'S KILLED: 1174 - First REDD member to 1000 kills.
    # of DEATHS VS BLUE: --
    KILL TO DEATH RATIO VS BLUE: --
    VBD RECORD: 19-1

50$ is expensive for fans..... and you have to remember its a apple computer your dealing with.... let alone a laptop. fixing them yourself is much much harder and you run the risk of damaging it more..... have you tried just giving your computer a smack? something in the fan may be a little loose and its surprising how much a smack to the computer will fix.... (no i am not being some beat nick, my computer engineering teacher told me about this and was saying how its works more often then you think it should)

Whats your zombie plan?
    There are two kinds of people in this world; those that have a plan prepared for when the zombies take over the Earth, and those who don't.
    We call those last people DINNER

Yes I have my laptop on a hard surface, and it was running around it's normal temperature when the fans started to go berserk.

What happens is, when I start my Macbook Pro up the left fan isn't spinning at all. Then eventually it spins (this has also happened in reverse with the right fan). After a little bit of using it(the time varies, sometimes it doesn't even happen), the fans both start to climb rapidly in RMPs and the left one makes this god awful noise. I've tried hitting it, it didn't do a whole lot. I've also opened it up and both the fans had very little to no dust, which is surprising seeing that this Laptop is 5 years old.

Also I started the laptop up when I had the top lid open, I probably shouldn't have done this. But the computer said the left fan was at 0RPMs and when I took a peek inside, it looked as if the fan was stuck on something. It would go forward just a little bit and then it acted as if it hit something and bounced back. It would keep on doing this.

I looked, but there was nothing stopping it. I then gave it a few little nudges and it started to spin like normal.

And $25 each for both fans is fine by me.

[applehatingtime]It's because it's an Apple.[/applehatingtime]

I'm kidding.

Sounds like the bearings on the fans are going out. You said it is 5 years old, so it is a likely cause if you have heavy usage in those 5 years. Best bet would be to just replace fans (I replace my desktop fans every 2 years as a comparison). With the MacBooks it might be a hassle due to it's form factor, but I I am sure there are guides online on how to replace them. Just be weary that if you have any warranty left on the laptop, it will void it. Honestly $25 a fan isn't bad for laptops. I've seen laptop fan replacements go upwards of $50+ per fan.
    Photobucket is garage, sig coming eventually.
    Need an Admin? Contact me, I am always around.
    "Metkil is the best admin ever" - Silko 2015
    "metkil is god, metkil is life" - Guzzie 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Metkil5685 View Post
    Honestly $25 a fan isn't bad for laptops. I've seen laptop fan replacements go upwards of $50+ per fan.
    really cause i get fans for like 10$ up here

Whats your zombie plan?
    There are two kinds of people in this world; those that have a plan prepared for when the zombies take over the Earth, and those who don't.
    We call those last people DINNER

Thread Information