Just a taste of something I wrote when I was younger and reading the Ranger's Apprentice Series....

Chapter 1: The Girl

Segorous was a 13 year old boy and was currently training to become a Ranger. He has been training for 2 years and in 2 more he will become a full fledge Ranger. He looked over his bow. The string was waxed and not fraied. He knew if the string was unwaxed and fraied it would snap easily. He put the bow over his shoulder and kept walking. Thats when he heard the scream. By the sound of it, it was a girl and she was in trouble. His reactions lead him to the girl. She was in an alley way and surrounded by bandits she looked about 13 too. He nocked an arrow. He walked out into the open. "Hey, leave her alone." The bandits turned around. "Oh, look boy's robinhood is here to save the girl. One brought up a crossbow and slid the bolt in. He smerked and before the man could aim the weapon he had an arrow through him. The others came to arms. One had a rusty sword and the other a shield and a longsword. The one with the rusty sword nodded towards Segorous. The man with the shield and longsword nodded and walked foreward. He put his shield up as another arrow came flying. The arrow hit the shield and the man recoiled. He regained his footing and kept moving foreward. Segorous droped his bow and pulled out his mithril dagger. The dagger was was very light, but almost impossible to break. He sprinted foreward ducked as the longsword sliced over his head.

He jolted upward bringing the dagger into his rib cage. The man yelped in pain. He toppled over holding the spot where he was stabed. The man that commanded the other was beating the girl up. Segorous heard the whimpers from her and nocked another arrow he aimed and shot the arrow it hit the man in the upper chest. Segorous went over to the girl she was badly beaten and bruised. He looked over her. She opened her eyes and he saw deep blue beauty within them. "Thanks," she said. Segorous was sure he heard an angel talk her voice was so pure. "Whats your name?" Segorous asked. "Jordyn," she said. As she was getting up she was shot back down." Ahhh...ow!" She yelled in pain. "Hold on", he ran to his bow and picked it up then ran back to her. He picked her up in his arms. "Really you don't have to..." she was cut off by his voice. "No, your hurt." She shrugged. He reached his cabin he had to build as part of his training his. He opened the door and set her down on his bed which he made each morning along with cleaning up the house to near perfection. He quickly made and herb drink to ease her pain.
She some what sat up. He walked in and gave the drink to her. "Thanks," she said. He knew her famliy would be looking for her. Then he sat next to her and looked over her wounds. She had a broken leg and a fractured arm. "You want to stay here tonight?" Segorous asked. "Um.........I guess," she replyed. "Good cause really you can't go anywhere in your condition." he said. "But, where will you sleep?" "The floor I guess." he answered i flatly. "And why do you live alone?" "Well it's part of my training. I actually built this whole cabin." "Training for what?" "Surprized you didn't know from my skill with my bow and dagger. Anyway I'm currently training to become a Ranger." "Oh, I almost forgot whats your name?" "Segorous" "Well thanks for saving my life I could only think of what they actually had planed for me if you hadn't come. And if you want you could sleep in the bed too. Just don't try anything got it."
Segorous nodded, "trust me if i did I would be expelled from being a Ranger." She smiled the herbs must of worked he thought. "Want anything to eat?" "No, but what were you doing when you heard me?" "Well, I was just patroling the town for something like you...well in trouble and all." He picked up a small box on the table next to the bed and pulled out a string he picked up his bow and sat down and took the old string off the bow and replaced it with the new one then waxed it. She sat their watching him quietly. When he was done he showed her. The string was tight enough to cut bread like knife. Then he sharped his dagger. She was amazed by the gold tint it had and wondered how such a beautiful thing could be used to kill. He looked up and saw she was staring at the weapon. "Those gold streaks are the reason this weapon is so hard it can crack any sword other then a mithril one.
She just nodded her head. He put the dagger back in its scabbard. He stood up,"so no food?" He knew it was getting dark therefore she should be getting hungry. He went to the kitchen and made some cooked vension. He made extra just in case she wanted some. He sat in the chair next to the bed. He knew she was staring at him. "Maybe..." "I know." he smiled and gave her his to go get his own. "Hey are you a daughter of one of the kings Royal Guards or advisors?" He asked. "I'm Commader Alan's daughter." She said flatly. Segorous rubbed his back. "Wow, never saw that coming," he said. "Well, then sorry for my stupidity milady." He said and she giggled. "Please, don't I just want to be a normal girl and thats how i want to be treated at least for now." She set her bowl down and Segorous quickly picked it up and took it to the kitchen along with his. He poured water from one of the ten buckets he had filled with water. He saw she was dosing off. He looked at her clothes ,"you want some fresh clothes?" "Sure." He went into another room and came out with a fresh shirt and pants. He went away to the next room to change himself and when he came out she was dressed.
He went over to her and helped her climb under the covers. He then he dot in. After about ten minutes she snuggled closer to him. He stayed awake the most of the night but dosed off. He awoke to a gentle hand shaking him just enough to wake him. He sat up. She was looking at him. "How'd ya sleep?" He asked. "Yes, I did you?" "Well I actually stayed up most of the night making sure you were ok and didn't wake up in pain." She looked into his eyes. Her deep blue eyes put him in a trans. He broke from it and looked at her. "What do you want for breakfest?" "Um......eggs I guess." "Good cause thats all I have." He said back.

He cracked them and mixed them well then put them on the pan. The sizzled as they cooked. When he got finished he brought the plates over to the bed side. As he sat down he heard a knock at the door. He got up and opened the door. "Hello, sir Commader Alan has sent me to you." 'Yes, of course." "He has sent me for any information of his daugther." Segorus steped in and waved Jordyn over. "Yes," she said. "Oh, miss your father has been searching the town since last night." She smiled. "Well, she wasn't in any condition to move or anything really." Segorous said. "Oh, then she must come with me, sir." The runner said. "No." "Why?" "Just no when Commander Alan comes then I'll let her come untill then, no." The man stormed off. "Why, woudn't you let him take me?" "While, you are a prize to any bandit tribe. If they get you they can threaten Commander Alan to surrender or they will kill you. They pick runners up off the street and he just so happens to be one of them" "How can you tell?" "Well royal runners have a necklace of a horse and they ride horses this man had neither." "Oh."

Commader Alan had arrived in an hour. The knock came and Jordyn was ready to go. Segorous opened the door. A guard was standing before him spear shouldered. "Hello," Segorous said. The man looked down at him. "I've for the girl." He said flatly. Segorous nodded and Jordyn came over. She walked out and Commander Alan ran to her. "Are you alright has he done anything to you. Why didn't you return last night?" "All he has done is save my life and care for me. I was being attacked by bandits when he came and killed them." Alan turned to look at the boy he was small but looked very fit. "Son, how did you kill a group of bandits?" All Segorous did was go inside and bring out his bow. Alan nodded," What is your name young Ranger?" "Segorous." "Well, Segorous you school will be notified of your deed." Alan got up onto his saddle. As he did Jordyn jumped off. She ran over to him she leaned over and her lips met his. She slowly pulled off and said," Write me." As she said this she backed up turned and ran back to the horse and climbed on. They rode off along with the two guards accompaning Alan.