Hybrid View

Re: Halo Reach title update footage on damnation

Quote Originally Posted by Mythonian View Post
    Also, the Bloom isn't "broken" as I see it. All it does is add to the game a bit of realism and risk that complicate scenarios.

It doesn't reward luck more than skill. It is pure statistics, and merely because someone got a so-called "lucky shot" doesn't mean it is broken.

The further you are from your opponent, the less likely you are to score a hit. At about 5 feet, it'll be about 90% (at full bloom). At 10 feet, 75%. At 20 feet, 40%. At 50 feet, 5%. {approximations}.

Spamming the DMR at close range is practical, because it allows you to defend more effectively against other close-range weapons, including Shotguns, Swords, and ARs. Pacing shots at longer ranges prevents the DMR from completely dominating everything else at medium to long range, because it slows your fire rate.

If you are able to shoot at full-speed for all ranges, then the DMR just got 3x better at longer ranges. If they slow the fire rate to prevent this, then the DMR just got 3x worse at close ranges.

Knowing when to spam and when to pace allows the DMR to be insanely versatile. The variable fire rate versus the practicality and statistics of making a shot make it complicated to use, but it heavily rewards those who use it effectively.

Once again, it is statistics, not luck. The factor of randomness isn't a bad thing. The may get "lucky" 5% of the time and get a spammed kill at longer ranges, but that does nothing to break the game. All it does is prevent total domination of the few who are able to pace themselves effectively.

I'll say it right now: If I had my way, the bloom would be even slower to return to normal. I still think I can DMR people at long ranges too easily, even with the current bloom...
    the problem with the realism thing is, its a game and you use a controller, i do not have a gun in my hands to see down the scope or have the actual feel of a gun firing. a game cannot be compared to "real life" in that sense.

bloom in reach is broken it doesn't take overall skill, it is a odd's game which you stated but in a video game that is no fun. when i aim at someone i want my bullets to hit 100% of the time not 20% or 40% or 80%.
    # of BLUE'S KILLED: 1174 - First REDD member to 1000 kills.
    # of DEATHS VS BLUE: --
    KILL TO DEATH RATIO VS BLUE: --
    VBD RECORD: 19-1

Re: Halo Reach title update footage on damnation

Quote Originally Posted by cCrisis View Post
    the problem with the realism thing is, its a game and you use a controller, i do not have a gun in my hands to see down the scope or have the actual feel of a gun firing. a game cannot be compared to "real life" in that sense.

bloom in reach is broken it doesn't take overall skill, it is a odd's game which you stated but in a video game that is no fun. when i aim at someone i want my bullets to hit 100% of the time not 20% or 40% or 80%.
    You bring up a good point. I think of Halo as almost an E-sports title.

But bloom really wasn't a problem for me.

davemograph.com
    Member since August 2006
    Add me on XBL GT:SpaceMovies

Thread Information