Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Posts

An account of Duress?

Alright so for my school we all get Macbooks. They are there to aid us in learning how to use technology as well as allowing us to use tech and not textbooks to learn. They had us all sign a contract to get these Macs, and the contracts have rules that people never wanted to follow. However we were pressured into signing the contract like it was nothing, and now the rules they never enforced last year they are enforcing this year.

Kids are getting detentions left and right, because they aren't using the "school issued" bags. If we have an law junkies in this place can you tell me if it is an actual account of Duress?

My Desk

"A rank is only as respectable as the man who holds it."

Blog Posts

Re: An account of Duress?

Bro, you signed a contract. If the contract states that you must use a School issued backpack or something of the sorts when on school grounds, then legally you have to. If the Contract stated that you will receive punishment failing to do so then they are backed by the law. To be honest I wouldn't complain. I don't know how your school works or how much you are paying the school to go there (assuming this is a private school) but you get access to a personal Mac Book and all you got to do is follow the rules that come with it? Sigh me up for that, as long as the school backpack isn't some pic of hello Kitty or some stupid shit like that.

REDD or BLUE Resistance comes through!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythonian View Post
    Silko isn't an innate troublemaker, and doesn't intentionally break the rules.
    Co-Founder of the Resistance
    Undefeated on Reach

Blog Posts

No the school isn't private, and we signed the same thing last year only they never enforced that rule. The bags they gave us are a bitch to use, the macbook is to big for the bag so putting it in can take up to a minute and I've taken at least two minutes to pull the damn thing back out. On top of that, you can't put notebooks and such inside of it. So you constantly have to go back to your locker to get things.

I talked with my Superintendent and he told me last year we had shitty bags. Which is true, but we were given a protective clear outer shell to make sure that while in the bags that they laptop wouldn't break. However when I talked to him he told me the shell is useless, because of these new bags. Only they still make us have the shell on the computer....

My point in this isn't to be an asshole, but I've gotten two detentions because I like to carry my computer in my messenger bag and not the school issued bag. The computer is perfectly safe within my bag so long as I'm not jerking it around and hitting shit with it.

Duress: Where, a person is prevented from acting according to their free will, by threats, force, or psychological pressure.

Pretty much all students are told that they need the computers in school because most of our classes are now based around using them. Many students didn't even read the damn thing before they signed it because everything is the same as last year. Yet last year they aloud us to use our own bags.

I feel that many students actually signed the contract "under duress", because their were no other options given to how we can use the Macs. Which now it surfaced that if you cannot afford to spend $50 on the insurance fee that you will keep your Mac here and not be able to take it home.

I have started a petition to be brought to the Principle. I wouldn't give a shit, but logically the clear shell casing we have on our computers were bought to protect them because we didn't have padded bags. So why do we need to carry a padded bag around, when we have the clear shell on?

My Desk

Forever BLUE
    Forever REDD
    Forever FC
    Blog Posts

theres always a loop hole in a contract... however since none of you are lawers, you cant do much except hire one... but i bet you wont find one that will only deal with a backpack contract...

Even if your pition were fully signed by EVERY student, it can still be denied due to the contract... the pition should have happened before anyone signed it... but like you said it was the same rules as last year but wasnt enforced... hey, shit changes... maybe the reason they are enforcing it is because they got so many returned damaged... that gives the perfect reason to enforce the rules now...

Im sorry Eagle, but the contract will stand as long as the principle agrees to the rules... if he kinda agrees they are to harsh, then your pition might do something....

I did 2 semesters of Law at my school, and iv payed attention to how contracts work... im sorry, Eagle, but your fucked if you dont like their rules and how they are handling them

I was born Awesome.
    Everything I do is Awesome. Anything I touch is Awesome.
    I didn't choose the Awesome Life.
    It chose me

Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bazongaman502 View Post
    Even if your pition were fully signed by EVERY student, it can still be denied due to the contract... the pition should have happened before anyone signed it... but like you said it was the same
    then your pition might do something....
    Dear god, it is spelled "petition".

Forever BLUE
    Forever REDD
    Forever FC
    Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deathhawk View Post
    Dear god, it is spelled "petition".
    dont correct my spelling.. thank you... its not the end of the world

I was born Awesome.
    Everything I do is Awesome. Anything I touch is Awesome.
    I didn't choose the Awesome Life.
    It chose me

Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bazongaman502 View Post
    dont correct my spelling.. thank you... its not the end of the world
    I agree with you, it's clearly not the end of the world.

Blog Posts

The petition isn't the topic on my mind, the duress is.

My Desk

Website Administrator
    Skynet is PARTIALLY ACTIVE
    RIP Cyberdyne
    RIP Net of the Sky

Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: Mythonian

Due to the signees being under duress, I believe they have a decent case if taken to court... Especially since those who didn't sign it would have been effectively discriminated against due to the classes focusing on the use of the Macbook; it would have impacted their educational environment negatively for those who didn't sign it. Since it's a public school, such discrimination (or favoritism toward signees) probably wouldn't be legal.

I'm not law student, but that seems enough to get the contract considered void...
    Having trouble on the site? Need an Admin?
    PM me or Metkil5685, we're always online...

Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mythonian View Post
    Due to the signees being under duress, I believe they have a decent case if taken to court... Especially since those who didn't sign it would have been effectively discriminated against due to the classes focusing on the use of the Macbook; it would have impacted their educational environment negatively for those who didn't sign it. Since it's a public school, such discrimination (or favoritism toward signees) probably wouldn't be legal.

I'm not law student, but that seems enough to get the contract considered void...
    Thats my exact mind set on the matter haha Only my school wouldn't go to court over it, they would just need to understand because if I wanted to I could get a good group of people together to take it to court :p

My Desk

Thread Information