Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Director of Project Ascension
    When the Storm Ends
    Memory is the Key
    Moves Like Jagger
    Blog Posts

Posting Informtion Revisement

Hey everyone, I thought I would throw out another potential suggestion that may not improve the efficiency of the site but maybe it's aesthetic appeal. I don't know how to really explain it well so I did a rough rearrangement of what I was thinking (I hope I attach it right)

Example.png

Basically what this does is it rearranges the avatar picture, the rank and the ribbons of the members to something that may be a bit more... clear. I know in the past week I have run my eye over the first picture which is the rank of someone multiple times and had to catch myself from thinking that a different person was talking. Basically the rearrangement implies that the person's avatar provides the most about them, followed by their rank and then people can look to the person's achievements after all of that.

It seems a bit strange to me that you look to a person's achievements first, followed by their rank and THEN you see the person's personalized avatar. If nothing else I would like to kindly ask that one of the staff consider centering the avatar picture so that everything appears in a straight fashion.

EDIT: For more clarification as to why this may be a good idea please look to my next post or post #4 as it gives a some more in depth reasoning.
    Last edited by Salvanous; 01-01-2012 at 11:54 PM. Reason: better clarification.

Blog Posts

Re: Posting Informtion Revisement

The reason why we have the rank first is simply because we are a war-sim based community. Although I do agree with the centering of the avatar image.

My Desk

"A rank is only as respectable as the man who holds it."

Rocket Whore
    The Imperial Phoenix
    Professional Teabagger
    Blog Posts

God I wish I had thought of this idea, I support this idea.

When the Storm Ends
    Memory is the Key
    Moves Like Jagger
    Blog Posts

And I can understand that, I simply thought I would suggest it as the system is now you have basically a "upside down pyramid scheme" going on here and if you were to reverse it may look a bit more...stable for lack of a better word. You may need to pardon me but I tend to think that people coming in to the community may like to see that they are seen as a person first, then as a member of either the R.E.D.D. or the B.L.U.E. Really I am just looking at the matter from different perspectives and trying to think of what may make the member's of the community feel like they have control over what is shown first on their information, if that makes any sense.

I personally think that if you have the avatar picture first, followed by the rank and ribbons then each member seems to have a bit more personality and seen less as a drone. I don't think that if you were to change the order in the fashion I have you would be removing any sense of this being a military simulator community, as it doesn't have any effect in how the community functions. I think it simply shows that the community provides you with the ability to express yourself above simply what your rank is.

Returning to the concept of stability, you see that in designing the content on the bottom tends to be generally wider than the content on top, or the pyramid concept. You look at most advertisement or text and people try to follow that as it is what applies to real life in the situation that you can see items stacked up in a pyramid fashion, but it is highly irregular to see it in reverse. When you go by that concept you are going coming into the area of the "Uncanny" which can sometimes make people feel uneasy on varying levels, to a point where the person may only feel uneasy on a subconscious level.

If you want to really talk about it I would probably advise over XBL as I don't know know how to clearly convey what I am trying to say in text.
    Last edited by Salvanous; 01-02-2012 at 12:09 AM.

Yay! Thumbs up

Former X-Ray Commander
    Vector Platoon Commander
    Blog Posts

I support, but only the avatar centering. Everything should stay the same, just center the avatar.
    VECTOR PLATOON
    //work in progress\\
    Recruitment: Message to apply.
    Faction: BLUE
    Dishcord: https://discord.gg/33sZQb4

Myth and I can discuss this.
    Photobucket is garage, sig coming eventually.
    Need an Admin? Contact me, I am always around.
    "Metkil is the best admin ever" - Silko 2015
    "metkil is god, metkil is life" - Guzzie 2016

Website Administrator
    Skynet is PARTIALLY ACTIVE
    RIP Cyberdyne
    RIP Net of the Sky

Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: Mythonian

For the moment, we've decided to go with the avatar centering.

The other stuff we will consider more tomorrow. It's a lot of work (like somewhere between 3 and 5 hours) just to move the ranks above the ribbons... >.>
    Having trouble on the site? Need an Admin?
    PM me or Metkil5685, we're always online...

When the Storm Ends
    Memory is the Key
    Moves Like Jagger
    Blog Posts

Sorry Myth, seems like I keep on giving you guys more work.

I still stand by my idea but I wish I could help you with it.

Its fine they need work Salv

~ Forerunner Conflict War 1 Veteran ~

Thread Information