Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Re: Debate #2 (Religion/God)

Holy crap, Mythonian. I had no idea that evolution was false. Does that mean that birds aren't really the current-day version of dinosaurs? Because there was that whole thing about velociraptors having feathers and whatnot.

Anyway, to contribute, I think that religion is nice because, at its core, it's about bringing people together and making everyone happier. Of course, it doesn't always work that way, but the most respectable religious people in history were always the ones who fought for peace and equality. As far as I can tell, though, atheism doesn't have such a lofty goal. Atheists just want everyone to stop believing in miracles.

Blog Posts

I got into a debate about god once on Omegle. I ended up winning, I said that "God, if he exists, is cruel, because the average life sucks"

He was like "Free will yo, we make our own decisions, anybody can change anything"

so I was like- "Nuh uh. destiny exists bitch."
    partner has disconnected.

It was a little more intricate then that, I'll explain that philosophy if anyone's interested.

-As far as my personal opinions go, I'm apathetic about god. I don't question his existence (As in, it's irrelevant to me) but if there is a god, then I'm pretty convinced that we actually live in hell, but I'm more inclined to reincarnation (without karma) anyways.

Banned BANNED USER
    Blog Posts

I Believe in God fully and truthfully:
    of course i have considered the other option of believing in no higher power but it didnt add up... when you are down he helps you indirectly through the bad times as said in this prayer from mary stevensen in 1936

One night a man had a dream.
    He dreamed he was walking along
    the beach with the Lord.

Across the dark sky flashed scenes from his life.
    For each scene, he noticed
    two sets of footprints in the sand,
    one belonging to him and the other to the Lord.

When the last scene of his life flashed before him,
    he looked back at the footprints in the sand.
    [line]
    He noticed that many times along the path of his life
    there was only one set of footprints.
    He also noticed that it happened at the
    very lowest and saddest times in his life.
    This bothered him and he questioned the Lord about it.

"Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,
    you'd walk with me all the way.
    But I have noticed that during the most
    troublesome times in my life there is
    only one set of footprints.
    I don't understand why when I needed you most
    you would leave me."

The Lord replied "My precious, precious child,
    I love you and would never leave you.
    During your times of trial and suffering,
    when you see only one set of footprints in the sand,
    it was then that I carried you

In the good times he guides you in the right direction, but the consequences of your actions are still yours, someone once said
    " Everything happens for a reason, for without reason there is depravity." it means that if bad things happen to you it is ment to
    teach you a skillset or a moral that you will need down the road, i have two examples. first example is my mom was heavily abused by her
    foster parents and her extended family, but today she is the strongest person i know. she has gone through 3 childern with special needs,
    a divorce, and multiple deaths in her family. when she should be sad or mourning she is lifting us up every bit of the way with our challenges and struggles.
    my second example is my experience, i have been bullied for my whole life just because i was awkward. i have thought of suicide and even getting
    myself thrown in prison for killing my attackers. but it wasnt right, it wasnt until i realised that it is their own insecurity that
    makes them act offensively towards you. after realising this, i wrote an essay depicting what i felt was the understanding of intelligence

Part of understanding intelligence is revealing the repercussions of the human right to be intuitive and analytical.
    From an early age my world has been different; I was smart while being stupid in other regions of my unorganized mind.
    My dreams have been rejected by my own inability to bring my thoughts into the written world; I am a social idiot in my own way.
    I have been blessed to have my disability and cursed too, I have to work harder to be better than the ordinary people in this world,
    I am extraordinary. Because of my disability I have been enabled to see a world in which ordinary people don’t walk in, what seems easy to others is often harder for me.
    It would be easy to be crushed by the expectations of the human race. We are efficient, we solve problems and we become smarter every day.
    The world moves so fast that any information that we know is doubled in twenty-one days.
    My disability forces me to be confined to an entity of myself,
    a harder working, more serious image of myself.
    I want to attend Westwood College to expand my knowledge and show the world what I can do as a young man with Asberger’s Syndrome.
    Cisco Networking Systems is a very hard major that will challenge me to do better than many people around me would think to be possible.
    I am blessed to have the opportunity to attend Westwood College for three years.

the reason i am successful is because of my disability, God wanted me to have it so i can show others how live with aspergers syndrome effectively

hes made a difference in my life and ill continue to believe in him as generations in my household always have

Quote Originally Posted by Daaaah Whoosh View Post
    Holy crap, Mythonian. I had no idea that evolution was false. Does that mean that birds aren't really the current-day version of dinosaurs? Because there was that whole thing about velociraptors having feathers and whatnot.

Anyway, to contribute, I think that religion is nice because, at its core, it's about bringing people together and making everyone happier. Of course, it doesn't always work that way, but the most respectable religious people in history were always the ones who fought for peace and equality. As far as I can tell, though, atheism doesn't have such a lofty goal. Atheists just want everyone to stop believing in miracles.
    Just because Mythonian said it was false doesn't mean it is. Anyways, the goal of most religion is to convert everyone to there religion. Christianity and Islam are the two big ones on this. Both holy books tell how there religion should be spread, whether it be by the sword or by shoving it down there throat and out there ass.

If Atheism has a goal, it's more or less to teach people to use reason and logic instead of blind faith and dogma.

Most Interesting Man in the World
    Call-sign: Mother Bird
    Weapon of Mass Seduction
    Blog Posts

I'd just like to make a few points to you guys:

1) Reason and faith are NOT mutually exclusive. They are to be used in coordination together to come up with an opinion/theory of your own. Too many people think today faith and reason are up and away from each other.

2) Logic is in fact an integral part of proving there is an intelligent designer/force behind the universe. Christian Apologetics is extremely involved with the mind and proving simply that there is a God, even if it may not be our individual definitions according to our religions and denominations.

I encourage everyone to look at Thomas Aquinas' five arguments for the existence of A God, not necessarily the Christian God if you want to look at it that way. They are examples of how logic has been used to argue for the existence of a God without "blind faith and dogma." I could explain the Argument from Motion or from Existence for example, if you all would like. Regardless, those five arguments WILL get you over the hump of Atheism. I guarantee it.*

~Kuhblam

*Unless of course you just don't want to read them, in which case I won't force it on any of you.
    Last edited by Kuhblam; 10-19-2011 at 09:45 PM.

I don't interest myself in "why". I think more often in terms of "when", sometimes "where"; always "how much."
    ----

Symbol of Order
    Banana Cannon
    Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: CarpeVexillum

I don't mean to revive this topic, but its all just fallacy's and theory's.

You can't prove to someone that there is a god.
    Just as they can't prove to you that there isn't.

Edit :: At this point in human history...

I am Tsundere.
    (ツンデレ) a character type that describes a person who is initially cold and even hostile towards another person before gradually showing their warm side over time.

For those about to rock
    We salute you!

There are three things in which you cannot convince someone otherwise (rarely at least).

1) Religion
    2) Politics
    3) Battlefield vs CoD

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanbh View Post
    Trail of Tears
    ....What. How does religion have anything to do with the trail of tears.

Website Administrator
    Skynet is PARTIALLY ACTIVE
    RIP Cyberdyne
    RIP Net of the Sky

Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: Mythonian

Anyway...

For anyone interested in listening to a professional debate on this topic, here is a link:

The Dawkins-Lennox debate.

Also, for anyone interested in a great documentary, watch "Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed" on Netflix or something.
    Having trouble on the site? Need an Admin?
    PM me or Metkil5685, we're always online...

Thread Information