Rocket Whore
    The Imperial Phoenix
    Professional Teabagger
    Blog Posts

Machinima Capture Card Question

Ok so I am getting a new computor in a few hours and I have always been interested in making machinima or gameplay/commentary videos(maybe even joining the video department? we'll see). I know very very little on computors except for the keyboard types and the mouse clicks XD. So my question is what would I need to make these videos? I do believe I would need a capture card to get the videos from my tv to my computor?(correct me if I'm wrong) Although i'm not sure because halo has the theater system, if someone could help clarify that for me. But for Gears, Skyrim, etc... I think I would definately need one. Also would I need video editing software? does itcome with a capture card? And I guess my final question is what is a good model/brand of capture card that is at an affordable price?

So here are the questions I need answered:
    -What do I need to make the videos?(capture card, video editing software?)
    -Is it possible to get Halo clips onto my computor without a card? (via theater & bungie.net)
    -Does video editing software come with a capture card?
    -What is a good, affordable model/brand of capture card?
    -Would it come with audio editing software too to make the commentary?
    -what would I need for audio?
    -How much memory is required for this? (the comp i'm looking at has 340GB + I have a 500GB external hard drive already)

Forever BLUE
    Forever REDD
    Forever FC
    Blog Posts

Re: Machinima Capture Card Question

Quote Originally Posted by UNLUCKY NUM13ER View Post

So here are the questions I need answered:
    1)-What do I need to make the videos?(capture card, video editing software?)
    2)-Is it possible to get Halo clips onto my computor without a card? (via theater & bungie.net)
    3)-Does video editing software come with a capture card?
    4)-What is a good, affordable model/brand of capture card?
    5)-Would it come with audio editing software too to make the commentary?
    6) -what would I need for audio?
    7)-How much memory is required for this? (the comp i'm looking at has 340GB + I have a 500GB external hard drive already)
    Im not the best at his, but i think i can put some advice in here...

1) Your better off buying an HDPVR, because there are people out their that will bitch about the video just because its not HD (popular comments "this video was shot with a toaster").
    2) Bungie Pro, but idk if Bungie pro is still around... even that would cost some money, let alone FOREVER rendering times.
    3) Some Capture Cards do come with Editing software, but not all... check the product details before purchasing.
    4) Roxio looks good, but better off going with an HDPVR... i own an Easy Cap and its a piece of shit (heres a video i shot with it a while back... note the comment found on the video, explains people opinions of the capture card)
    5) Only software that comes with capture cards are for the video only (including game sound), voice recording is up to you to decide.
    6) a microphone lol
    7) Comes down to length of videos, kind of software your using, and such.... id recomend having up to a Tera-bite and a half (750GB) worth of memory on the computer.. that way you know your safe and have plenty of room.

btw, HDPVR is nearly $200 and you can buy that at Gamestop, amazon and many other places....

If your wanting to make really good videos, i recomend just about everything i mentioned if not mentioned more by others..... everything i just listed is what im gonna be doing hopefully before the end of the year

I was born Awesome.
    Everything I do is Awesome. Anything I touch is Awesome.
    I didn't choose the Awesome Life.
    It chose me

Rocket Whore
    The Imperial Phoenix
    Professional Teabagger
    Blog Posts

Thanks a ton bazonga i'll take notes lol

If anyone else still would like to share their two cents please go right ahead, the more input I get the better informed I will be.

1. Roxio or HDPVR .
    2. What Bazonga said.
    3. Most of the time nope. (Use Sony Vegas or Camtasia)
    4. Roxio if that's too much Dazzle (But people will indeed bitch)
    5. Almost always nope. ( I use audacity)
    6. Microphone preferably turtle beaches (PC) or something like this
    7. A good terabyte or at least a clean 500gb.

Blog Posts

For sound recording/audio editing (thats if your on a budget that is) I would go download Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ i'ts free. I'f not Adobe Audition is pretty good audio editing software.
    I'f your into special effects go get Sony Vegas Pro it has less of a learning curve then Adobe After Effects. I've subscribed to 3 different guys on you tube who produce really good work who swear by Sony Vegas pro. The only reason I use After Effects is because it was given to me by a friend who upgraded to a dual core and wanted the 64 bite version.
    Hopefully this has help you out a bite.

-What do I need to make the videos?(capture card, video editing software?) hauppauge HDPVR, hauppauge colossus or black magic intensity pro, and Sony vegas
    -Is it possible to get Halo clips onto my computor without a card? (via theater & bungie.net) IDK
    -Does video editing software come with a capture card? Umm with the hauppauge colossus it does but you should learn how to use thepiratebay
    -What is a good, affordable model/brand of capture card? hauppauge colossus its a 160
    -Would it come with audio editing software too to make the commentary? I think
    -what would I need for audio? a mic
    -How much memory is required for this? (the comp i'm looking at has 340GB + I have a 500GB external hard drive already)

So he aimed the shotgun into the blue
    Placed his face in between the two
    and sighed, "Here's To Life!"

Everyone here has hit the nail on the head.

All you need is an xbox, a decent PC, a capture card, and an editing software.

davemograph.com
    Member since August 2006
    Add me on XBL GT:SpaceMovies

Forever BLUE
    Forever REDD
    Forever FC
    Blog Posts

Im probably gonna sell you my roxio Unlucky, so you will just have to wait till i get my computer and new capture card

I was born Awesome.
    It chose me

Rocket Whore
    The Imperial Phoenix
    Professional Teabagger
    Blog Posts

^yea Zonga! Abd you can show me the ropes too

Forever BLUE
    Forever REDD
    Forever FC
    Blog Posts

yup yup

I was born Awesome.
    It chose me

Thread Information