Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Is halo 4 going to be TOO much like COD?

Truth be told, I couldn't care less about the Chief's new look. He's a big dude in green armor and a gold visor, and unless you put the different iterations of his design side-by-side most people would be hard-pressed to explain precisely what's changed about him from game to game. He's clearly the Master Chief. His armor a little more detailed. It's evolution; 343 made some tweaks without screwing him up, which is all they really needed to accomplish.

What I found a lot more interesting is how different the game itself seems to feel. Granted, we didn't play it ourselves, but simply watching the demo run-through of the multiplayer map was enough to convey a sense of change. Chief seems to move a little more? well, not slowly, exactly, but with more mass and inertia than before. The sound effects he creates while running have more weight behind them, too. Movement in Halo has always felt a bit like gliding -- a smooth and almost frictionless experience -- even if it doesn't move as fast as many other shooters. That looks to have changed with Halo 4, and the overall effect is remarkably similar to -- wait for it! -- Call of Duty.

In fact, I'm pretty comfortable saying that Halo 4 as a whole looks designed to crib from Modern Warfare and bring that hyperactive multiplayer style to the Halo world. The screen display didn't look quite as cluttered as Modern Warfare 3's, but between the score ticker on the right and the constant HEADSHOT proclamations popping up over a downed foe, it's definitely getting there. I'm not sure how I feel about that. The Halo series could use some shaking up, to be sure, but I was hoping for fresh ideas rather than a bunch of elements carried over from one of the few shooters that people have played even more than the Halo series. Am I being unreasonable here?
    http://www.1up.com/previews/halo-4-t...d-call-of-duty

Forever BLUE
    Forever REDD
    Forever FC
    Blog Posts

Re: Is halo 4 going to be TOO much like COD?

i can slowly see it going there... i wish it wouldnt, but i can see how it might be

I was born Awesome.
    Everything I do is Awesome. Anything I touch is Awesome.
    I didn't choose the Awesome Life.
    It chose me

Website Administrator
    Skynet is PARTIALLY ACTIVE
    RIP Cyberdyne
    RIP Net of the Sky

Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: Mythonian

Lol... Did that guy seriously just say that having more realistic mass/inertia and clearer sounds makes it more like CoD??

No, Halo 4 is not at all going to be similar to CoD, at least not more so than previous Halo games. However, it will obviously give us more customization options. For example, I expect to have options allowing for more fine-tuning of how the game is played, and allowing us to more directly affect the mechanics of the game.

From Forge to custom games to the very theme of many games within Halo, the entire atmosphere and playstyle, saying it's similar to CoD is such an ignorant statement...

If adding more customizability means becoming more like CoD to you, you might need to re-think some things. Halo has always been more customizable than CoD, or mostly any other shooter ever, and adding even more options doesn't make it CoD.

Sure, if you changed the settings in a specific way, you might end up with something similar to CoD, but that doesn't mean the game itself is like CoD. That just means it's extremely customizable.

>.>
    Having trouble on the site? Need an Admin?
    PM me or Metkil5685, we're always online...

Speculation.

They haven't even played the game yet.

davemograph.com
    Member since August 2006
    Add me on XBL GT:SpaceMovies

Everyone always relates every new game to cod, if it is a 1st person shooter its based off of cod apparently.

Creator of Vanquish
    #BlameFuzzy

[12:58:35 AM] Silky Tits: Fuzz
    [12:58:46 AM] Silky Tits: Have you ever eaten shit?
    [12:59:02 AM] Greg: Well I have listened to your words for so long

>watches a video with about 8 seconds worth of gameplay
    > OMG IZ COD

I'm back

Blog Posts

The series as a whole is becoming like CawaDooty. In that 343 is probably going to be force feeding us a halo game every year now. More frequent releases means a lower quality product. I mean look back to the Bungie era. When ODST dropped, we got ALL of 3's maps on a single disc, a whole new and awesome campaign with a new mode, AND a Beta key for Reach. With Anniversary, we got a recycled campaign and a $20 DLC download. There's no comparison in my opinion, 343 is just there so M$ can make money on something that hasn't been overdone (I bet Capcom wishes it could've done this), Bungie on the other hand wanted to make great games, which they did and still do. Making lots of money was just a side effect to this.

Forerunner of Fire and Divinity PhoenixPrime's Avatar
    Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: wsxphoenix

If they went in a direction that was even a bit like COD, it wouldn't break my heart. Right now, I'm looking for 343 to make a game that sets itself apart from any COD (IF or Treyarch), and any Halo that has come before.

I remember playing Halo: Combat Evolved back in the day. I want the FPS genre, especially Halo, to evolve again and give me a quality product that is absolutely worth every dollar I spend on it. MW3 was certainly NOT worth $60 dollars, and I'm having serious doubts about any other title in the next year, except Halo 4.

The ONLY reason I will buy it is because I want to see what 343 is like as a studio. I've already seen Infinity Ward, Bungie, Treyarch, and some others. For Bungie, honestly, it just seemed like they were going so fast through their remaining games so they could finally get out from under Microsoft, that they did very little innovation. Why, for their last game, did they not bring in any major new features to the franchise? They expanded Forge, Expanded Firefight, and gave us armor abilities (Really, only a replacement for equipment anyway.) I did not see many new or inspired features, did you?

I'm giving Halo 4 its chance as 343's first major product. I've really enjoyed waypoint, so I am encouraged a bit that they will do the series right.

In a market dominated by big developers, I want to see how the new guy turns this out.

"You must begin by gaining power over yourself; then another; then a group, an order, a world, a species, a group of species; finally, the galaxy itself."

Monday: 4:30-6:30
    Tuesday: 8:00-6:00
    Wednesday: 4:30-6:30
    Thursday: 8:00-11:30 & 3:00-6:30
    Friday: 9:30-6:30

The Voice of Reason
    Skynet's Army
    Blog Posts

why would halo want to be like COD? Halo is already 1000x better, COD puts me to sleep

Blog Posts

lol I think a remember everyone saying Reach was gonna be like Call of Duty all because he had bloom in it...

Heres what I have to say, Halo set the bar for how a 1st Person Shooter should be, and it keeps setting that bar. Call of Duty has been the same for about four years now. Halo has changed, and it will change again.

343 is a mix of Halo players and original Halo: CE development team members. I doubt they will be force feeding us games every year, because they wouldn't want that. Besides they allowed Halo: CEA to be $40, when you damn well know any Halo fan would have paid over $60 bucks for that game....

My Desk

"A rank is only as respectable as the man who holds it."

Thread Information