Thread: Kony 2012

Blog Posts

Kony 2012

You've probably heard of Invisible Children's campaign, called "Kony 2012".

They released a 30 minute long video highlighting the actions of the infamous, Joseph Kony.
    Joseph Kony is a war criminal from Uganda, who uses children as his army. He's also the leader of the L.R.A (Lords Resistance Army), a rebel army in South Africa.

What's your stance on Kony, on the campaign, and on Africa?

We talked about this in my U.S. History class today. This girl, (a stupid rich girl) was adamant about advertising it to the class.
    She convinced our teacher to watch it. While this was happening, all the other (stupid, rich girls) we're "aaawwh"-ing and gasping at the terrors of Kony.
    This video just makes Social Activism look cool to the youth, but in reality, 32% of the "non-for-profit" donations actually go to Africa.

I did a little research, and Kony isn't even that active anymore. He's done (unsuccessful) peace talks, and the LRA isn't even as large as it's made out to be.
    He's no longer in Uganda, and the Ugandan government is possibly as corrupt as him... but that's where the money is going. It's providing arms and training to the Ugandan government.

Our teacher pointed out- that even if Kony we're to be assassinated, that another war lord would rise in place of him, because the education and "proxy-war" ideology that goes into Africa is probably past the point of being fixed. If you teach them how to fight, well, when they kill their leader, the new leader will only know how to fight.

When the girls learned this, they were extremely distraught. It kind of annoyed me that they would blindly throw their support to this because they wanted to be cool and someone told them to. When she originally brought it up, she couldn't even explain what it was about. She had to have us watch the video (and she claimed she had seen it 3x already) They seemed to be realizing that the world wasn't a perfect place, where justice was always served. It kind of annoyed me. We're such a counter-productive society.

Even my "friend" (He's really just a narcissistic douche) said he immediately bought the kit, and a shirt, after watching the video. He's not as dumb as the other girls, normally he's fairly intelligent, but he blindly put his money in. When someone tried to tell him this, he just said "Don't you try and make an argument for Joseph Kony."

Don't get me wrong, he's still a very evil man. He uses children to protect himself and for his own benefit.
    But the campaign is being run by a corporation that is taking money from the kids, for their own benefit.

The Voice of Reason
    Skynet's Army
    Blog Posts

Re: Kony 2012

Didnt myth already put up a video about this?

Thread Information