View Poll Results: Do you want 4v4s back?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Bring 4v4s back / I don't mind if they return.

25 75.76%
  • No! Keep them out of FC!

8 24.24%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4v4 Battles

4v4 Battles

My goal here is to create a thread not for flaming nor arguing, but one containing legitimate points concerning the existence of 4v4s on battle nights. As you know, FC has recently removed 4v4s entirely, leaving us with only 6v6 and 8v8 battles. Myself and several other members believe 4v4 battles should be brought back into the wars for several reasons including the following:

SLOW BATTLE NIGHTS - Lately, battle nights have been moving along much slower than they have in past wars. Logically, this is because gathering a lobby of 16 is much harder than getting a lobby of 8. I'm not implying we should rid FC of 8v8s entirely, but lessening the amount of 8v8/6v6 matches and increasing the amount of 4v4s can improve the number of games played total, and by each individual member. (As a personal example, this last battle night 4/15/12, I sat in lobby for at least two hours, possibly more, waiting to be put into games. Of those two hours, I was able to participate in two battles. I'm not saying I'd prefer to be in-game the whole time, but the process could use some speeding up that 4v4 battles could give it.)

LESS LIKELY TO TIE - Though it is possible to tie in a 4v4 objective/slayer game, it's far less likely than tying in an 8v8 battle. This would be the case because 8v8s are larger maps where the bases are more defined, making objectives infinitely harder to score than on a 4v4 map.

HARDER TO BOOST - Even though it is in fact possible to boost K/D ratio in 4v4 slayer and objective games, the results are generally not as steep as when people strive to boost in 8v8s. An above average player can easily excel and take advantage of the fact that sprees can go more easily unnoticed in 8v8 maps and game types. With so many people killing/dying, players who would usually end up being targeted for their massive killing sprees can go through a game almost completely undetected. Some examples of this are pulled directly from the stat book and are listed below.

Kills-Deaths Gamertag
    26-2 Aerographic
    48-4 Relapsive
    34-1 Blackhawk570
    41-2 HellSpawn 101

These of course are some of the more drastic examples, however there are plenty of 3.0+ K/D's that went unlisted. I understand that boosting to this extent doesn't happen too often, but big team serves as the perfect environment to stack as many kills as possible. There are more than enough .05 and below K/D's to show the other side of boosting. Again, 4v4 games would just make this a bit harder to do.

PREVIOUS SYSTEM WORKED - I believe that you can't fix what isn't broken. Previous attempts to better the site have led to angry/upset members who either kept their mouth shut or packed up their bags and left. That in itself may be partially the cause of smaller lobbies and longer wait-time for battles to begin, since fewer members would obviously make it harder to get 16 people in a game. That aside, the old system worked. I think we should just keep the variety of 4v4, 6v6, and 8v8s seeing as it doesn't take away from the community. Some maps are even played better as 4v4s (Countdown, Battle Canyon, etc.)...

I also feel that there really wasn't enough reason to remove it in the first place.

We have eliminated 4v4 Maps, to bring back the feel of a larger scale of battles for this war. We realize that some people may be disgusted, but our decision is final, and will not be reversed.
    This just doesn't seem to suffice, in my opinion. Perhaps if some sort of counter argument to the things I've listed was provided I might feel differently, but as far as I can see, not much has really been addressed. I was told at some point that 4v4s were removed to ensure groups within each army can intermingle and join together, however because bringing back 4v4s would not remove 8v8 opportunities, you could continue to blend groups together in BTB games anyway. Most of the groups are also large enough to assemble teams for 8v8s anyway, so really nothing much has been achieved by removing 4v4s.
    I hope you can consider implementing 4v4s back in next war.

Blog Posts

Re: 4v4 Battles

Last night was the first balanced battle night, I'd say give it some time. Doesn't really matter to me either way, I care more about Map aesthetics than anything xD Personally I like the 6v6 and 8v8 set-up we have now. The more people recruit, the less waiting time there will be. So if you don't like the waiting time, it's fixable. Tying, meh. Doesn't affect the scoreboard and means you will have to work more as a team to win, since the numbers are larger. Boosting, stats are stats. If we follow the FC Lore, there will be super-soldiers that are better than others.
    Joined April 2007
    Founder of the LARP
    Founder of the Imperial Office of Naval Intelligence
    Squads led:
    Halo 3 Era: XO of Wolf Squad, CO of Nova Squad
    Halo Reach Era: CO of 1st Marines Platoon, CO of Foxtrot Squad, CO of Wolfpack Squad, CO of REDWATCH Special Forces
    Halo 4 Era: CO of REDWATCH Special Forces, Director of Imperial Office of Naval Intelligence and Project ARTEMIS, CO of the Dark Sail Raiders
    Halo 5 Era: CO of REDWATCH Special Forces

could not agree more with this thread/poll. Please bring 4v4 maps back.
    "Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear"

-ZERO SHOTS MISSING-

WH PS ICoH CM DS S EB VC IV

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Livestreams
    View Channel: Yehsus

I completely agree with bringing back 4v4 maps, however not with those reasons given. Battle nights are consistently long and have been for the 6+ years I've been with this community. It sucks, but we just gotta deal with it.

I dont agree with the "Less Likely to Tie" or the "Boosting" argument. Certainly some maps (such as Hemorrhage) it is extremely difficult to pull a flag successfully, but teamwork and map control (and frankly a little bit of luck) will help those odds. Same thing can be said with any 4v4 gametype. 6v6 + 8v8 just brings more variable to the table, which is why I'm a huge fan of it.

HARDER TO BOOST - Even though it is in fact possible to boost K/D ratio in 4v4 slayer and objective games, the results are generally not as steep as when people strive to boost in 8v8s. An above average player can easily excel and take advantage of the fact that sprees can go more easily unnoticed in 8v8 maps and game types. With so many people killing/dying, players who would usually end up being targeted for their massive killing sprees can go through a game almost completely undetected. Some examples of this are pulled directly from the stat book and are listed below.
    This is the argument I hate the most. While there are certainly more ways to kill in BTB gametypes in general, there are certainly equal amount or even MORE ways to be killed. It comes down to the same way you get sprees in 4v4 maps - teamwork, skill, and luck. I cant speak for the first two listed, but I was playing with Blackhawk and Hellspawn in those games they posted those impressive numbers, they were playing their roles as any role in 4v4 to a perfection. Each soldier in Aeneas has a job. Blackhawk was slaying and keeping REDD on respawn while others pushed objective, while Hellspawn played a more supportive role in the Wraith for the same reason listed. While they went +30ish, many of us did not as we continuously put pressure on the objective. I feel like in the long run, it balances out - much like in 4v4s.

Anyways, I'm really straying far offtopic and I apologize. I agree 100% we should have 4v4 maps back I never really understood why we got rid of them, as it adds the diversity to playing new people every night rather than the same 3 groups. I just dont like when people give BTB a negative aspect, cause in my extremely biased opinion it takes more skill due to all these different variables in game.

et ducit mundum per luce

Bring 4v4s back, I agree. However, we may as well simply wait until next war. Do we really even need reasons of argument? They were fun and provided variety. They really didn't need to be removed.

FYI: I didn't even read your post, LOL. I just know I've wanted 4v4s back.

Virtus Tentamine Gaudet
    FM For 6 wars spanning 3 generations

Website Administrator
    Skynet is PARTIALLY ACTIVE
    RIP Cyberdyne
    RIP Net of the Sky

Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: Mythonian

Quote Originally Posted by Res View Post
    I hope you can consider implementing 4v4s back in next war.
    I can guarantee you that it will at least be considered. We like to try different things out each war to help them feel more unique and to see what works best in the long run.

Consider the removal of 4v4s an experiment.

The likelihood of implementation of 4v4s in this war are rather slim at this moment, though. Possibly later on, but doing it only two battles into a war is quite unlikely.
    Having trouble on the site? Need an Admin?
    PM me or Metkil5685, we're always online...

Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
    FYI: I didn't even read your post, LOL.
    Joined April 2007
    Founder of the LARP
    Founder of the Imperial Office of Naval Intelligence
    Squads led:
    Halo 3 Era: XO of Wolf Squad, CO of Nova Squad
    Halo Reach Era: CO of 1st Marines Platoon, CO of Foxtrot Squad, CO of Wolfpack Squad, CO of REDWATCH Special Forces
    Halo 4 Era: CO of REDWATCH Special Forces, Director of Imperial Office of Naval Intelligence and Project ARTEMIS, CO of the Dark Sail Raiders
    Halo 5 Era: CO of REDWATCH Special Forces

Forever BLUE
    Forever REDD
    Forever FC
    Blog Posts

I say bring back 4v4's, but if it doesnt, i wont be butt hurt by it

I was born Awesome.
    Everything I do is Awesome. Anything I touch is Awesome.
    I didn't choose the Awesome Life.
    It chose me

Blog Posts

4v4's would be chill.

I do like the idea of a "bigger" war, I also think that 6/8 is more balanced, because every member isn't AS crucial. But the better team should still win.

However, 4v4's over a wider selection of quality maps (Finding a good 4v4 is WAY easier than a 8v8.)

That, and that 4v4's offer a personal side to the war. Sure, they can be very competitive, but being in the trenches with your 3 squad mates, it's a great feeling.
    4v4's also get WAY more intense. The tides can change so much in one game.

And playing two 8v8 maps in one night is not very fun.

I like have 8v8s, but there are just way too many. I love anything but 8v8s, but toward the end of the war the 8v8 maps give it a more of a intense feeling. It is like both armies are bringing out everyone in order to defend/or push the final objective which is the BLUE or REDD base.

Also if we bring 4v4s back I promise to sing my infamous FC Anthem during every battle night.

Thread Information