Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C.O.D.A.

Blog Posts

C.O.D.A.

(This thread is pretty much about me/my family/the origin of my username, so if you don't care, you might as well leave now.)

A while ago, I was asked by an FC member (I have no idea who it was. I forget.) what Coda means. I decided to clear things up on the forums. Coda is a term in music, but this is not the case. CODA means Child Of Deaf Adult. My father is both deaf, and blind. CODA is a term that is often only found within groups of other CODAs, which is why my gamertag is imacoda (I'm a CODA). It is supposed to be a message to find other CODAs. Sadly, I have never found one that way, but it is no surprise, due to the small amount of people with deaf parents. I have used "imacoda" in almost everything. Online, I always go by the name "Coda" which is why I chose that to be my username on FC.

Both my father, and my uncle (his brother) is deafblind. No, I do not have any visual, or hearing impairment, however my future children might. Despite what many people think, deafblind people like my uncle and father are extremely capable. They are both gold medalists in the Para Olympics. My father and uncle both use ASL (American Sign Language) to communicate. However, they can speak other types of sign language as well. Yes, I know sign language too.

Below, there is a link to a youtube video, showing Keith Wann (he's a CODA) singing a song in ASL. I think you guys will enjoy the video. I encourage watching it.

CLICK HERE

EDIT: June is Deafblind Awareness Month!
    Last edited by Coda; 05-13-2012 at 12:40 AM.

Rocket Whore
    The Imperial Phoenix
    Professional Teabagger
    Blog Posts

Re: C.O.D.A.

I actually didn't know that about you Coda, very interesting read. I'm happy to hear your father & uncle can live such promising lives.

Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UNLUCKY NUM13ER View Post
    I actually didn't know that about you Coda, very interesting read. I'm happy to hear your father & uncle can live such promising lives.
    Thank you, they have lived very well their entire lives. However, they both weren't born blind. They have always been deaf though. They became blind over time. My dad still isn't COMPLETELY blind, but it is very, very close.

I'm just curious, how does a deaf and blind person learn sign language? Like how do they know you're talking to them if they can't see the signs?
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.

Forever BLUE
    Forever REDD
    Forever FC
    Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RENGADE 0F FUNK View Post
    I'm just curious, how does a deaf and blind person learn sign language? Like how do they know you're talking to them if they can't see the signs?
    I would really like to hear this answered

still a good read, and very nice to see the other side of people
    Last edited by bazongaman502; 05-13-2012 at 02:44 AM.

I was born Awesome.
    Everything I do is Awesome. Anything I touch is Awesome.
    I didn't choose the Awesome Life.
    It chose me

If you read his post over again it says that his dad is blind a deff but he can still see a very small portion out of his eyes. just enough to comunicate in sighn. And how do i know that he has a very tiny spot he can still see in?because Coda is a friend of mine and ive heard the story in ful length. right coda!!!???

REDWATCH
    Fire Team Victors Old Fart

Blog Posts

Deafblind people use what is known as "tactile signing" or hand-to-hand sign. This is when my father's hand would be on top of mine as I sign, so he can feel the signs. My uncle does that too. If someone is born deafblind, it becomes much harder to teach them sign language, and they often end up pointing at symbols and pictures as a way of communicating

hey. what if youve got both parents are deaf. whould the classification be changed from C.O.D.A too C.O.D.P ?

REDWATCH
    Fire Team Victors Old Fart

Quote Originally Posted by Ichyban View Post
    If you read his post over again it says that his dad is blind a deff but he can still see a very small portion out of his eyes. just enough to comunicate in sighn. And how do i know that he has a very tiny spot he can still see in?because Coda is a friend of mine and ive heard the story in ful length. right coda!!!???
    But he can see just a small bit then? So its like heavy cataracts?
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.

Thread Information