Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Director of Project Ascension
    When the Storm Ends
    Memory is the Key
    Moves Like Jagger
    Blog Posts

Re: FC Rev: 4 FeedBack "War Feeling"

I know I always tell my recruits what BLUE stands for in my bootcamps.
    Project Ascension

Where damnation seems inevitable, I will still raise my hands in hope of redemption.
    morte ai nostri nemici la tua guerra è persa non puoi distruggere
    Ortus verum est iam lost nobis. Exuro per lies illae universitas quod reperio vestri verum
    "Addio amico mio"

You can't mess with battle nights in order to make the sim more war like. Some one put it very nicely in a previous post, you can't have the battles be competitive/balanced and be perfectly war like realism. The war like realism should be kept to everything outside of battles. Examples being: make bootcamps more structured (more military like), people of certain ranks to act accordingly (officers behave like officers, enlisted as enlisted), maybe bring back emblem specific ranks? (people must wear their emblems/ranks to any official FC event), practices/meetings/events could be treated more professionally, add stories to attack plans.

I am all for making the sim be more war like, but do not mess the battles in order to do so, it will only cause problems. People already complain when a map gives one team a slight advantage, and doing so purposely will only damage the entire structure of the battles (winning a certain amount of maps/gametypes in order to attack the capital).
    "Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear"

-ZERO SHOTS MISSING-

WH PS ICoH CM DS S EB VC IV

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Blog Posts

I agree with everyone, even though I'm one of the biggest pushers for as much WarSim as possible, you cannot really change anything about the actual battles. Halo just wouldn't play right if it wasn't played "competitively" in that sense. The biggest thing that can be done is aestheticals with the Maps themselves, main thing being make it look like an actual War. Have the Maps reflect that. Maybe starting spawns are inside a Pelican or forged Vehicle, and then the respawns are littered around the base. However, you can't really change the pace of the game.

If anything, the main things for me are: each Platoon/Unit should have a dedicated Emblem that they wear during battles/practices/meetings to identify themselves. Otherwise, there really isn't much recognition about what makes each Platoon different. They should stand out more, and the easiest way is to have an Emblem to dictate that, so if a new member joins my lobby, I can recognize, Oh he's a Hellhound, instead of just seeing a random emblem and not knowing anything about the person. Now I'm all for individualization with people, however if they're going to invest time into the WarSim, I think they should want to feel more like a "team" and share an Emblem and have some pride in their Unit.

Each section of ranks should also have responsibility. Officers should have weekly reports to write, whether it be a summarization of the days practice, a Formal Report to their Superiors about detailed analysis of their Unit, etc. Perhaps have Squad practice once a week, then a weekly Platoon Practice, weekly Battalion practice, and a weekly skirmish. So you're mingling with different people all the time.

Overall, I think we've definitely reached a new high point for the WarSim influence. Its all just little things now.
    Joined April 2007
    Founder of the LARP
    Founder of the Imperial Office of Naval Intelligence
    Squads led:
    Halo 3 Era: XO of Wolf Squad, CO of Nova Squad
    Halo Reach Era: CO of 1st Marines Platoon, CO of Foxtrot Squad, CO of Wolfpack Squad, CO of REDWATCH Special Forces
    Halo 4 Era: CO of REDWATCH Special Forces, Director of Imperial Office of Naval Intelligence and Project ARTEMIS, CO of the Dark Sail Raiders
    Halo 5 Era: CO of REDWATCH Special Forces

The problem with this not feeling like a war is the connection we make from the battles we play to the results we see.

Lets face it, the problem isn't with the games we play. It's halo, it will play like halo, and the competition will be like halo. But if we continue simplifying battle results as "This army won more games", we will see lackluster war feeling.

In a nutshell, to make this feel like a proper war without stepping on anyone's toes, add a newspaper/reporter. The newspaper could have multiple writings in them, with one main article talking of how REDD or BLUE marched on while the side articles list various happening in FC as newspaper, wartime articles. "Infamed general of BLUE army Mededust retired today, a ceremony was held at the capital with Field Marshal Anarchy giving a speech and awarding a medal of honor. Close friend Colonel Yehsus was seen crying as the former lieutenant general flew off towards his vacation home back on Earth with his loving wife, etc. etc....."

Most people wouldn't care much for an actual ceremony, they'd easily change the mindset to what battle nights are. People will not role play events to make things feel war sim like.

I know you guys had similar things in the past, but as I think about it I'm starting to warm up to the weekly newspaper with multiple articles in it idea...

Virtus Tentamine Gaudet
    FM For 6 wars spanning 3 generations

No one listens to my suggestions. Damn you all!

For those about to rock
    We salute you!

Quote Originally Posted by Acid View Post
    No one listens to my suggestions. Damn you all!
    No, we listened to it, but no one cared enough to say anything "Supreme Commander" :P

(By Ireland Wolf)

To all those proposing to make the maps feel more "war like" by adding details, remember, the more items, weapons, vehicles, and objects you add to a map, the more frame rate lag you will encounter in said map. You have to compromise, either have a simple map that plays well, or a fully detailed map in which you can't zoom in because it will be laggy. I would much rather have simple, smooth playing maps than one that lags. Some people were even complaining about Tritan and how much it lagged. I would say keep the level of detail to a reasonable level.
    "Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear"

-ZERO SHOTS MISSING-

WH PS ICoH CM DS S EB VC IV

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Livestreams
    View Channel: Yehsus

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
    The problem with this not feeling like a war is the connection we make from the battles we play to the results we see.

Lets face it, the problem isn't with the games we play. It's halo, it will play like halo, and the competition will be like halo. But if we continue simplifying battle results as "This army won more games", we will see lackluster war feeling.

In a nutshell, to make this feel like a proper war without stepping on anyone's toes, add a newspaper/reporter. The newspaper could have multiple writings in them, with one main article talking of how REDD or BLUE marched on while the side articles list various happening in FC as newspaper, wartime articles. "Infamed general of BLUE army Mededust retired today, a ceremony was held at the capital with Field Marshal Anarchy giving a speech and awarding a medal of honor. Close friend Colonel Yehsus was seen crying as the former lieutenant general flew off towards his vacation home back on Earth with his loving wife, etc. etc....."

Most people wouldn't care much for an actual ceremony, they'd easily change the mindset to what battle nights are. People will not role play events to make things feel war sim like.

I know you guys had similar things in the past, but as I think about it I'm starting to warm up to the weekly newspaper with multiple articles in it idea...
    False.

et ducit mundum per luce

Quote Originally Posted by OcR Yehsus View Post
    False.
    Shutup Yehsus.

Blog Posts

I definitely agree with what donkey was saying. It is so easy to see who's in REDWATCH because of the emblem. If I see someone I'm not familiar with, I have no idea what platoon they're in. Also, having a newspaper like report of the battle would be very cool. I would love to read that.

Thread Information