Blog Posts

Breaking Rank (a short story)

I started to write this over a week ago. I didnt want this war to end but me (hoping for the best and preparing for the worst). I decided to let it loose after I knew this war was over. Let me know what you guys think

O1:00 hrs SRT (Standered Reach Time)

"I understand I truly do” Lt Coronal Salvounus or Salv as every one called him said with a twing of regret that was barley audible. Any normal human would not have picked it up. It would have sounded flat and with out emotion to those who were not trained or augmented like us. I looked at my comm screen on my desk with disbelief. I pulled my helmet off slamming it onto the table. Exposing my face which by now was blood red with anger. “Damn it this in-tell checks out green all the way. Its reliable. All I’m asking is for is a small team a qwick in and out. No one will even know we were there....” Salv cut me off. “NO” he yelled. Speaking softer this time. “Thats final. ANY military incursions would jeopardize the peace process and its fragile. Let the proper channels handle it.” he paused. I took the opening to plead my case one more time. I spoke softer this time “Salv there alive and I know where they are. There in that place because I sent them on that god forsaken mission knowing the chances of them making it out were slim at best.
    This time when Salv spoke any normal human would have been able to make out the emotion in his voice. He knew. Hell we both knew they would not live that long. The REDD army would see to that. “My decision is final In a couple of months the delegates will be able to proposition the new government on Reach and set up there release. Look we cant jeopardize the lives of millions over a few. I'm sorry Lloyd. That’s the way its just going to have to be this time. Salv out” The comm screen went dark.
    I sat there in the Darkness of my newly acquired office. In my minds eye I remembered all the times I stood or sat on the opposite side of this very desk. I remembered giving my opinions. Or rather I argued them on countless occasions. Never once did Salv let any emotion show beyond laughter. I knew him well enough to know he didn’t want us to loose hope. So when he spoke the way he did. I knew he was hurting just as much as I was on the inside and he wanted to let me know his hands were tied and wished thing's could have been different.
    I turned on a light located on my desk. My old squad picture immediately caught my full attention. I sighed and spoke aloud “Sorry boys looks like the Calvary cant make it this time.” Then a light bulb went off in my head like a nuclear explosion. A plan began to form. It started out small like a cool summer breeze then suddenly it blew up like a Hurricane. I was swept away with it. It was a long shot and I would probably die a horrible death in the process but at least it was a plane......

06:00 hrs SRT

BEEP, BEEP, BEEP
    Salv awoke to that all to familiar annoying sound. “What is it Panda”. He he barked. It was a long night filled with interruptions. It was Salvs personal A.I speaking in with her smooth female voice in a tone like “I’ve got a secret”. She spoke “Its encrypted and marked personal”.This time it was Salv who spoke. “We both know you broke the encryption a nano second after it hit my desk. Now lets have it” .
    A deep older voice Began to speak Salv immediately recognized it to be Lloyds. “ Salv I just cant let it go. By the time you receive this I will already be a hundred clicks in side what used to be REDD army territory. So...” Lloyds voice sighed. “ It is my deepest regret that I have to inform you of my Resignation Effective 0:200 hrs local SRT. the time I left H.Q. OK now that’s out of the way” there was a pause. “Seriously the only thing I regret is the fact I let you and Anarchy down. You both gave me the entire company YOUR baby to run. I'm just sorry that I couldn’t be there for you when you needed me the most during the reintegration of both armies and the new government that’s forming on Reach. Salv just in case this goes south let Zg know there wasn’t any thing he could have done. Lloyd out.”
    “Sir I will forward this immediately to High Command” Panda said in here usual mono toned voice. “Stand down” barked Salv. In a more level voice he continued “ Delete this message trace it back through the pipes and delete any copy’s immediately lock down his office and forward every thing to here”. “Done sir” Panda replied. “Dictate this then send it off to High Command” Salv said slyly. “Dictation mode enabled Sir” replied Panda. “I’ve granted Lloyds Request for an extended personal leave” Salv paused “Done, now hack the central Data base and make his request retro hmm what do you think 2 weeks ago?”. “Excellent choice sir” panda replied.

A smile formed across Salv's face as he whispered to himself “Bring them home Lloyd”........
    Last edited by ArchAngelLloyd; 08-27-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Life is transient. Hold on to the moment. Never Lose hope and fight the good fight.

Thread Information