Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forerunner of Fire and Divinity PhoenixPrime's Avatar
    Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: wsxphoenix

Controller Configurations Debate

Here are some selections that Neighbor, from MLG, scrolled through in his play of Halo 4. The controller setup is going to be a bit different from recent iterations of Halo, because Sprint is a native aspect of player movement, and must be bound to a button.

Here is the link

I will likely play with the Green Thumb configuration, since it has the Fire Button and Zoom button closely linked together. The armor ability is right where it was in Reach, so no difference there. Reload is the same as the old Halos. And Sprint is linked to the Movement Stick, which makes one stick in charge of all aspects of moving the Spartan. I like having melee linked to the Look Stick as it helps orient the player for melee strikes, which is a key aspect of Halo.

All of the three main actions of Halo are linked to where the fingers are positioned by default. Reloading is second nature at the X button, and I can probably get used to pressing B for crouch, or linking the button to a custom button at the bottom of the controller. I think with this configuration, I'll have the best reaction time in engagements, once I master the orientation of the buttons.

What configuration would you guys use, and why?

"You must begin by gaining power over yourself; then another; then a group, an order, a world, a species, a group of species; finally, the galaxy itself."

Monday: 4:30-6:30
    Tuesday: 8:00-6:00
    Wednesday: 4:30-6:30
    Thursday: 8:00-11:30 & 3:00-6:30
    Friday: 9:30-6:30

Re: Controller Configurations Debate

Either Bumper Jumper or Recon.

I'm used to Bumper Jumper, but for what god forsaken reason did they swap AA and Grenade locations like that?
    X to toss a grenade? How does that make sense?

Guess I will be relying more on AA movement and aiming at the same time.
    You want me to put a microphone in?
    No. Fuck you.
    Story behind me and not using microphones on XBL.
    • Original Xbox: The clip kept breaking when I am not rough. And wires.
    • Xbox 360: Fucking wires fuck up. Screw it. I am not using/buying another one.

Blog Posts

Whatever they give me to start. I usually just roll with whatever the default is and get used to it.
    Joined April 2007
    Founder of the LARP
    Founder of the Imperial Office of Naval Intelligence
    Squads led:
    Halo 3 Era: XO of Wolf Squad, CO of Nova Squad
    Halo Reach Era: CO of 1st Marines Platoon, CO of Foxtrot Squad, CO of Wolfpack Squad, CO of REDWATCH Special Forces
    Halo 4 Era: CO of REDWATCH Special Forces, Director of Imperial Office of Naval Intelligence and Project ARTEMIS, CO of the Dark Sail Raiders
    Halo 5 Era: CO of REDWATCH Special Forces

The Voice of Reason
    Skynet's Army
    Blog Posts

i have always used the default, so i will stick with it

Blog Posts

I'll be useing Recon again. My only concern with Recon is not being about to steer as well while sprinting but I'm sure I can find a way with my massive hands

REDD or BLUE Resistance comes through!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythonian View Post
    Silko isn't an innate troublemaker, and doesn't intentionally break the rules.
    Co-Founder of the Resistance
    Undefeated on Reach

Forerunner of Fire and Divinity PhoenixPrime's Avatar
    Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: wsxphoenix

i have always used the default, so i will stick with it
    With the way that FC plays, and the way that competitive multiplayer works out, precision grenade throwing is a key aspect to Halo. That's why I'd prefer the grenade button not be a face button on the controller.

I'll be useing Recon again. My only concern with Recon is not being about to steer as well while sprinting but I'm sure I can find a way with my massive hands

Possibly, though from what I've seen, moving precisely while sprinting to cover usually determines whether or not the player can disengage from an opponent. All the streams and vids I've have led me to believe that sprint, as a movement mechanic, is very useful when teams choose to converge on targets.
    Last edited by PhoenixPrime; 11-01-2012 at 11:49 AM.

"You must begin by gaining power over yourself; then another; then a group, an order, a world, a species, a group of species; finally, the galaxy itself."

Monday: 4:30-6:30
    Tuesday: 8:00-6:00
    Wednesday: 4:30-6:30
    Thursday: 8:00-11:30 & 3:00-6:30
    Friday: 9:30-6:30

Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: kazinsser

Ugh, if Bumper Jumper switched LT and X, I would use it for sure, but as it is none of them seem like they'll feel "right".

I'll probably end up using Green Thumb, unless there's toggle sprint, in which case I'd use Recon.

Quote Originally Posted by KazuhLLL View Post
    Ugh, if Bumper Jumper switched LT and X, I would use it for sure, but as it is none of them seem like they'll feel "right".

I'll probably end up using Green Thumb, unless there's toggle sprint, in which case I'd use Recon.

I concur. However, I'm more of a default guy. I was looking at using Bumper Jumper but that configuration is kinda stupid.
    Former Field Marshal and General of the BLUE Army
    The Undisputed "Race" Champion of the Forerunner Conflict's 8th Anniversary Celebrations

Click here to buy some awesome apparel! Half of the profit from FC-related swag goes right back to FC!

Lore Author
    Spartans Never Die
    Facta Non Verba
    Winter Is Coming
    Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: ighosthammeri

To be honest I don't like any of them... I'll have to try them out in Campaign and get a feel for what works best.

Bump jump for me
    "Quando il gioco è finito, il re e il pedone vanno nella stessa scatola." -Cortana
    Forever alone

Thread Information