Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    FC Janitor
    #RIPHarryTheChin
    #RIPClearSh0t
    Blog Posts

Re: BCS National Championship

Quote Originally Posted by DeafOrangutan91 View Post
    Notre Dame should be ranked #1 at the moment, because they are the only eligible team to be undefeated. That said, the media does overhype them a bit and they have been overrated in previous years. Yes, yes, they have all those accolades, but I noticed you didn't mention the fact that Notre Dame hasn't won a championship in most of our lifetimes. The last time they won the championship was in 1988, back when the champion didn't even have to play a top team to win it. They've had 1 heisman winner since 1964. Notre Dame is also 2-10 in its last 12 bowl appearances. Come on, if any team but Notre Dame had fallen so far, they wouldn't always get the benefit of the doubt like they did in 2005, when they went to the Fiesta Bowl despite having 3 losses and were crushed by Ohio State and in 2007 when they got destroyed by LSU in the Sugar Bowl. Be proud of your past, but eventually you have to move on and try to be great again. Notre Dame deserves their ranking because they are undefeated, but there is no way they defeat the SEC champion.
    This guy explained what I did not feel like typing out, they had their prime...so people need to get off their dicks. Yes they are #1, but will they keep it?..I doubt it. Thank you sire for this amazing paragraph.
    U.S. Navy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jam Cliché View Post
    The Janitor God has no birthday. The Janitor God is forever.

Cthulhu Cultist
    Blame Canada
    The Cake is a lie
    Blog Posts

You do realize that was also before the bullshit BCS ranking system right? BCS is the only time I have ever witness a 11-1 team be ranked higher than a 12-0 team.

You seem to think that someone who likes a team, supports their team, or enjoys watching them when they are at the top or the bottom is "riding their dicks". Actually that is a true fan. (I'm a Tampa Bay Bucs fan, shitty team i know, but I support them). I know the last ten+ years ND has been shit for the most part. I truly despise Charlie Weis and what he did at ND. Not only as a coach to the team, but how he treated the community.

But you can't argue that they are 12-0, and will be playing the SEC Champion. And win or lose, I'll still wear a ND jersey the next day to classes. Because I won't allow haters like YOU to dictate whether or not I should show constant support for my team.

As for the Irish staying Independent? I hope they never join a conference. Be it the Big East, SEC, ACC, etc. Because when in a conference a team can only play 5(?) out of conference games a year. And teams will play schools that are FCS teams. FSU played Savannah State, who the fuck are they?

"Be proud of your past, but eventually you have to move on and try to be great again." That is what they are trying to do, but there are so many haters that are never satisfied. Notre Dame could have a season where they play Bama, Georgia, UF, Oregon, Kansas State, and LSU, win all those and go to the NCG and you people still would make excuses as to why the Irish don't deserve it.

Al Capone111 doesn't do what Al Capone111 does for Al Capone111.
    Al Capone111 does what Al Capone111 does because Al Capone111 is Al Capone111.

I'm not an asshole, I'm just not afraid to say how I feel.

Banned BANNED USER
    Blog Posts

To be fair, even though he agreed with me, I wouldn't go so far as to say people are "riding their dicks." Notre Dame is a good football team, and deserve their ranking, but I just don't think dominating in the 50s and 60s is something to really brag about. Did I ever say they didn't deserve to be there? I said very clearly that they did (I believe any undefeated team deserves a shot, winning every week is all you can do), but gave examples in recent years when a 3 loss Irish team and a 2 loss Irish team got into a BCS bowl over arguably more deserving teams and were crushed by the opposition. That is what people mean when they say overrated. Notre Dame often gets the benefit of the doubt because of their history and massive fan base. As for Bama or UGA beating them, that's just my opinion. They are both excellent teams and crush the majority of their opponents. Notre Dame has struggled at times this season.

Cthulhu Cultist
    Blame Canada
    The Cake is a lie
    Blog Posts

To bad bowl games aren't always chosen by merit or "which team deserves". They are chosen by what will sell and make a profit. And guess what, people will pay big bucks to watch the Irish win or to watch them lose. There was a article on it on ESPN a few weeks ago.

Banned BANNED USER
    Blog Posts

Like my grandfather and ESPN reporters tend to say "You either hate or love Notre Dame. There's really no middle ground." And that's very, very true. Also, I will support the Irish. One other thing, The Irish do deserve to be here and they will make profit.

Cthulhu Cultist
    Blame Canada
    The Cake is a lie
    Blog Posts

Love them or hate them, nobody can deny the fact that they have one of the best histories in college football.

Banned BANNED USER
    Blog Posts

I certainly didn't deny their history. The only programs that equal them are Michigan, Harvard, Yale, and Alabama, and I would say Notre Dame probably beats them all except Bama, and that one's only close because of Bear Bryant, best college coach ever. But their history was never up for debate. The question was if they deserved to be in the championship (I say yes), if they will win (I say no), and if they tend to be overrated even when they're not undefeated (which I say yes). Bowls are definitely based on money, no doubt about that. That's why I think the SEC champ would have gotten in even if Oregon or Kansas State had remained undefeated. The reason Notre Dame gets so much fan service is because of their history. However, if it were based on recent accomplishments (past 30 years), I don't think a 9-3 Notre Dame deserved a BCS bowl over an undefeated Boise State. And I'm actually pretty neutral toward Notre Dame Lyrics. I like to see them do well, but I never actively root for or against them.

FC Janitor
    #RIPHarryTheChin
    #RIPClearSh0t
    Blog Posts

I wouldn't say the "best" history in college football. All schools have great histories and amazing stories, but do I care and does everybody else? Hell no, and when I say riding their dicks I mean news people and NBC. I don't care about their fans, I just hate how some think they're the god team of NCAA Football. And I support my team also. I'm a huge UT fan, but they fucking suck this season and the past couple partially due to bad coach, but hey whatevs. I just don't like them, but no need to make a big deal of it.
    U.S. Navy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jam Cliché View Post
    The Janitor God has no birthday. The Janitor God is forever.

Banned BANNED USER
    Blog Posts

And I definitely think Notre Dame should remain an independent. I'd rather watch the Irish play USC or Michigan over watching Clemson maul the terrible ACC week in and week out. I do wish Notre Dame would schedule Oregon, LSU, Florida State, Bama, or another powerhouse. That would make a great game. Talk about money! I couldn't fathom how much Notre Dame-Bama tickets would cost. We'll probably get a glimpse of that this year.

Cthulhu Cultist
    Blame Canada
    The Cake is a lie
    Blog Posts

History: ND has beaten Bama 5 out of 6 times.

When ND went 11-0 and Oregon and KSU lost, tickets for the NCG tripled on resale. If you bought the tickets at the beginning of the year for $500, you can sell them for $1500+, and that's the nosebleed sections. It's crazy.

I never said the single best history, I said ONE OF the best.

Thread Information