Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Freelancers

Re: Freelancers

Really, really complicated to handle. It's one thing to see how much fun it might be, but we run based on a REDD vs BLUE mentality, and it's another thing to imagine the vast amount of work it would require. Not only would this garner less activity from both sides, it would also be a lot less organized, and would fragment this community further. We'd need a lot more resources to lead what is essentially a third faction, unless we want it to start serving as a loophole through common army law and leadership.

It requires no effort, work, or commitment to be in an army other than being a part of that army. If you don't want to, or can't, show up to practices or any events whatsoever, you aren't hurting much of anyone. The only purpose "freelancers" would have is creating a loophole for people who don't want to be under army rules, and creating a loophole behind people committing to one army or another. Even if we used the group to fix any inequality gaps, these "freelancers" would most likely end up playing for the same side continuously anyway.

It's a cool idea that has been brought up a lot, but once we create a 3rd faction, people will start suggesting a 4th faction, then a 5th, and then we turn into 5 factions of 20 people each. It already takes a lot of resources to run two armies, and I dare say we lack the resources to do even that in its entirety.

Virtus Tentamine Gaudet
    FM For 6 wars spanning 3 generations

"No More Miss Nice Bear Time To Bring Out My Claws"

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
    Really, really complicated to handle. It's one thing to see how much fun it might be, but we run based on a REDD vs BLUE mentality, and it's another thing to imagine the vast amount of work it would require. Not only would this garner less activity from both sides, it would also be a lot less organized, and would fragment this community further. We'd need a lot more resources to lead what is essentially a third faction, unless we want it to start serving as a loophole through common army law and leadership.

It requires no effort, work, or commitment to be in an army other than being a part of that army. If you don't want to, or can't, show up to practices or any events whatsoever, you aren't hurting much of anyone. The only purpose "freelancers" would have is creating a loophole for people who don't want to be under army rules, and creating a loophole behind people committing to one army or another. Even if we used the group to fix any inequality gaps, these "freelancers" would most likely end up playing for the same side continuously anyway.

It's a cool idea that has been brought up a lot, but once we create a 3rd faction, people will start suggesting a 4th faction, then a 5th, and then we turn into 5 factions of 20 people each. It already takes a lot of resources to run two armies, and I dare say we lack the resources to do even that in its entirety.
    Ugh where do I begin? There wouldn't be ANY effort into having a freelance branch. If anything it would benefit both armies.

" Hey anarchy can't be here tonight and we are down a few people....oh hey lets look at the freelancer's to see if anyone is on to fill in. Oh hey look Reibear is on!"

I am just saying. It isn't about not wanting to follow army rules. Maybe some people would like to play with people in both armies. Lots of us have been in both armies and have people we like to play with. Being Freelance will give people the opportunity to do this.

Like I said...it's not gonna kill FC to try it. Think of it as a beta. We did Beta wars for HALO 4 right? We tried things out to see it it would work. It is better to try and fail than to not try at all.

Blog Posts

I kinda agree with Anarchy. It's a cool idea. If we had like a 100 extra people in each army... Then I could see it. But this a REDD vs BLUE thing. That's what it's always been. If you want mercs, you guys better start recruiting

Actually, having 100 extra people in each army could lead to a lot of really cool changes. But that's not going to happen for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Coda View Post
    I kinda agree with Anarchy. It's a cool idea. If we had like a 100 extra people in each army... Then I could see it. But this a REDD vs BLUE thing. That's what it's always been. If you want mercs, you guys better start recruiting

Actually, having 100 extra people in each army could lead to a lot of really cool changes. But that's not going to happen for a while.
    I have been recruiting lol And Granted it is REDD vs BLUE but having freelancers wont change that.

Everyone seems to disagree, but it really seems awesome. Especially if it could be pulled off.
    Last edited by Freelance; 12-27-2012 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Typo
    "Do you even know what the fuck a pronoun is?" - AlienatedWaffle
    We're the last of a dying breed
    PURPLE VETERAN

<://GAINING ACCESS TO FILE "FREE/3/...

//ACCESS GRANTED//

<://OPENING FILE "FREE/3/"...

FULL NAME: FREE, CALEB M.
    SERVICE #: FREE
    UNIT: REDD/CENTURION/REDWATCH-VICTOR
    (E)INT: 11B/11F/13B
    ENLISTMENT DATE: 11/22/2574
    BIRTHPLACE: ECTANUS-45/CHI-RHO/CESTEL
    BIRTHDATE: 04/06/2555

PERFORMANCE:
    Well-rounded in most combat techniques; FREE prefers medium-long range. He also makes use of the Sniper and Battle Rifle. When in close range, FREE prefers the Covenant STORM Rifle, or the Assault Rifle.

COMMENTS:
    FREE had an older brother, taken as a child for [CLASSIFIED].
    FREE's father joined the UNSC as part of the ONI [CLASSIFIED] in 2557.

Blog Posts

if it could be done properly, then it could be cool. But there's a lot of coulds there. And having it be "REDD, BLUE or mercs" would make it be less members for both armies. This has already been said. As of right now, this really isn't going to happen. If we get tons more members... maybe. But right now... No

FC doesn't like change....

Why do we even have a suggestion section?

Banned BANNED USER
    Blog Posts

This place'll never change

Quote Originally Posted by xXReiBearXx View Post
    Ugh where do I begin? There wouldn't be ANY effort into having a freelance branch. If anything it would benefit both armies.

" Hey anarchy can't be here tonight and we are down a few people....oh hey lets look at the freelancer's to see if anyone is on to fill in. Oh hey look Reibear is on!"

I am just saying. It isn't about not wanting to follow army rules. Maybe some people would like to play with people in both armies. Lots of us have been in both armies and have people we like to play with in both armies. Being Freelance will give people the opportunity to do this.

Like I said...it's not gonna kill FC to try it. Think of it as a beta. We did Beta wars for HALO 4 right? We tried things out to see it it would work. It is better to try and fail than to not try at all.
    There would be effort. New user groups, user images, finding freelance leadership, people to oversee the "freelancers" in general.

An army would never be down one player and need a freelancer if the freelancers were just in armies in the first place. It doesn't increase our total manpower by any means, it just displaces people into a different, 3rd faction.

I'm 100% sure it isn't about not following army rules. But I can guarantee if implemented people will leave structured armies to the "freelancers" so they don't have to "listen to the man". And that's great if you want to play with both armies, we want overall community involvement, but that's what neutral events are for. As far as battle nights go, as I said, one of the only advantages of this is a loophole behind committing to one army. But we have open transfers from one army to the other, you can switch sides whenever you want without having a third faction for it.

It would not kill FC, true. But we as a War Council have 4 days to release attack plans for the next war, and between that time, we have to pretty much plan an entire war and prepare our respective armies. We'd have to have someone leading or at least managing this group, and we'd need to find some way to limit it's usage to prevent loopholes. Who would do a freelancer's bootcamp? Who would they get in touch with on Sundays to find a game? Would they be allowed in both army's events? (Conflict of Interest). Would they have their own subsection, and who would handle it? What side could dish out punishment to these people if deserving? Who would represent them with a lack of solid leadership? Who would make their usergroup images? Would they have a ranking system, and who would handle that if they did? How would we work it into FC Lore? Who decides which way they go if both sides want to use them on Sundays? How do we handle freelancer respect to faction enforcement during battle nights and how liable are they? Everyone would want to be a part of this cool freelancer group, so how do we limit its enlistment so that freelancers don't end up becoming the largest faction? How do we decide who can and cannot be a freelancer?

If we implement them, one of two thing will inevitably happen:
    -The freelancers will be a mostly dead group with no leadership. It would end up just sucking a lot of resources to keep going, handle, and regulate while it's members would just be glorified forum members with a new usergroup.
    -The freelancers would be the next cool place for cool, young fc members, and it would end up being massive. Problem here? It would be a naturally open and mainly leaderless faction, so if that douchebag from WoW who escaped my soon to be wrath for tbagging by going freelancer calls you a bad thing, you've got no faction leader to go to in order to get it solved. So you go to myth whose already busy handling 34983 things. Then the armies are kinda bland with only 2-3 active units because everyone went freelancer so they can play anywhere they want, and they do just that, making battles more like custom night get togethers.

I think I speak for the entirety of WC when I say we'd rather not spend hours of our day doing that for the next war when we already have armies of 100+ to lead, and an entire war to plan, with the RoE and hell, one could argue a brand new Halo 4 era to plan.

It's not that I think this is a terrible idea, because it truly, truly isn't. It's a fun idea to think of being a freelancer, doing whatever the hell you want, and playing wherever you want away from all the ruckus. But it would serve very little purpose, and isn't in the spirit of what we are. Any benefit it might provide can be obtained by simply not having it in the first place.

Sorry. A 3rd faction might be cool if we had 25+ squads showing to every battle night, and we could have three active, healthy factions. But there's just no reason for it...

Virtus Tentamine Gaudet
    FM For 6 wars spanning 3 generations

Thread Information