Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Freelancers

Re: Freelancers

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
    There would be effort. New user groups, user images, finding freelance leadership, people to oversee the "freelancers" in general.

An army would never be down one player and need a freelancer if the freelancers were just in armies in the first place. It doesn't increase our total manpower by any means, it just displaces people into a different, 3rd faction.

I'm 100% sure it isn't about not following army rules. But I can guarantee if implemented people will leave structured armies to the "freelancers" so they don't have to "listen to the man". And that's great if you want to play with both armies, we want overall community involvement, but that's what neutral events are for. As far as battle nights go, as I said, one of the only advantages of this is a loophole behind committing to one army. But we have open transfers from one army to the other, you can switch sides whenever you want without having a third faction for it.

It would not kill FC, true. But we as a War Council have 4 days to release attack plans for the next war, and between that time, we have to pretty much plan an entire war and prepare our respective armies. We'd have to have someone leading or at least managing this group, and we'd need to find some way to limit it's usage to prevent loopholes. Who would do a freelancer's bootcamp? Who would they get in touch with on Sundays to find a game? Would they be allowed in both army's events? (Conflict of Interest). Would they have their own subsection, and who would handle it? What side could dish out punishment to these people if deserving? Who would represent them with a lack of solid leadership? Who would make their usergroup images? Would they have a ranking system, and who would handle that if they did? How would we work it into FC Lore? Who decides which way they go if both sides want to use them on Sundays? How do we handle freelancer respect to faction enforcement during battle nights and how liable are they? Everyone would want to be a part of this cool freelancer group, so how do we limit its enlistment so that freelancers don't end up becoming the largest faction? How do we decide who can and cannot be a freelancer?

If we implement them, one of two thing will inevitably happen:
    -The freelancers will be a mostly dead group with no leadership. It would end up just sucking a lot of resources to keep going, handle, and regulate while it's members would just be glorified forum members with a new usergroup.
    -The freelancers would be the next cool place for cool, young fc members, and it would end up being massive. Problem here? It would be a naturally open and mainly leaderless faction, so if that douchebag from WoW who escaped my soon to be wrath for tbagging by going freelancer calls you a bad thing, you've got no faction leader to go to in order to get it solved. So you go to myth whose already busy handling 34983 things. Then the armies are kinda bland with only 2-3 active units because everyone went freelancer so they can play anywhere they want, and they do just that, making battles more like custom night get togethers.

I think I speak for the entirety of WC when I say we'd rather not spend hours of our day doing that for the next war when we already have armies of 100+ to lead, and an entire war to plan, with the RoE and hell, one could argue a brand new Halo 4 era to plan.

It's not that I think this is a terrible idea, because it truly, truly isn't. It's a fun idea to think of being a freelancer, doing whatever the hell you want, and playing wherever you want away from all the ruckus. But it would serve very little purpose, and isn't in the spirit of what we are. Any benefit it might provide can be obtained by simply not having it in the first place.

Sorry. A 3rd faction might be cool if we had 25+ squads showing to every battle night, and we could have three active, healthy factions. But there's just no reason for it...

My name is Metkil and I approve of this message.

Kidding aside, I agree with Anarchy 100% here. We have tried this in the past and it didn't work. Perhaps its something we can look at when we have a much larger scale, but at this current time implementation of this would not work. Right now, see if you want work out something with your Field Marshall to form some kind of group of people who act as substitutes to fill those games where squads can't fill a game. That's the closest you'll be able to do something like this.

Also, in response to "things never change." They do, a lot. Things are so much different then they were when I joined back in Halo 2. This is considered off-topic and this discussion will cease. If you wish to discuss this, please send me a PM.
    Photobucket is garage, sig coming eventually.
    Need an Admin? Contact me, I am always around.
    "Metkil is the best admin ever" - Silko 2015
    "metkil is god, metkil is life" - Guzzie 2016

Quote Originally Posted by xXReiBearXx View Post
    FC doesn't like change....

Why do we even have a suggestion section?
    "No More Miss Nice Bear Time To Bring Out My Claws"

Founder of Forerunner Conflict
    Blog Posts

Also, for all of you who weren't around (which is pretty much 99.99% of you), we tried this before. Back in 2006 when we had roughly 200-250 members in Halo 2's prime, me and Tyranny90 created a 3rd army called the Rogue Nation which was basically an army that was full of people who didn't want to deal with the rules from REDD and BLUE. Well, needless to say it caused SOOOOOO much stress on everyone. It wasn't so much of a numbers thing that was the problem, but the lack of community and communication between the armies. We played maybe about 5 battle nights and then decided that a successful war should just have TWO armies with anyone who wants to participate being in THOSE two armies. It's not so much as a disliking towards change, it's just an idea that cannot be utilized properly in a gaming community like ours. You all have no idea how much work and preparation it takes just to get our two armies fighting, our War Council forums are always flooded with new things we have to fix and deal with. A 3rd "faction" would just add way to much stress on the entire community. If you REALLY want to play in a battle, you can just enlist in an army. There's nothing wrong with just joining, being slightly inactive and only showing up on battle nights. Plus, I'm pretty sure an army leader will ALWAYS turn to extra members in their army to fill in empty spaces rather than some mercenary. There will always be extras ready for a game.

I created Hill 30

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHammer View Post
    We really do need that list of "past suggestions that have been brought up 100 times."
    Ok maybe you guys should HIGHLY consider this suggestion before we post any more suggestions cause to be honest I am so tired of having to see suggestions be responded with "WE DID THIS ALREADY"
    "No More Miss Nice Bear Time To Bring Out My Claws"

Quote Originally Posted by xXReiBearXx View Post
    Ok maybe you guys should HIGHLY consider this suggestion before we post any more suggestions cause to be honest I am so tired of having to see suggestions be responded with "WE DID THIS ALREADY"
    Consider it done I'll make one tomorrow.

Virtus Tentamine Gaudet
    FM For 6 wars spanning 3 generations

Banned BANNED USER
    Blog Posts

Just give it a shot. Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by LyricsMode View Post
    Just give it a shot. Jesus
    Create the user group images, do all the work for its subsection, give an answer to all the questions I asked in the previous long post, and then state two good ways this would truly, truly benefit the community and then we'll give it its shot.

If you guys are so intent on having it, then do the work to have it, and I'll push for it until the day I die.

Virtus Tentamine Gaudet

Blog Posts

The way I'd see it, it wouldn't have to be managed. If the Freelancer wants to play, they have to get in touch with the Field Marshal of the Army that needs help. Something like that. Or if they get in contact with a Field Marshal to play, they have to be put on the Faction that needs the most help? Something like that.

It would need ONE usergroup. And if someone joins the Freelancers, they have to understand that it's basically a free-roaming group for people who can't be supremely active like most, however still want to give a hand to the Community as a whole when they have time by helping out the Faction down when they can.
    Joined April 2007
    Founder of the LARP
    Founder of the Imperial Office of Naval Intelligence
    Squads led:
    Halo 3 Era: XO of Wolf Squad, CO of Nova Squad
    Halo Reach Era: CO of 1st Marines Platoon, CO of Foxtrot Squad, CO of Wolfpack Squad, CO of REDWATCH Special Forces
    Halo 4 Era: CO of REDWATCH Special Forces, Director of Imperial Office of Naval Intelligence and Project ARTEMIS, CO of the Dark Sail Raiders
    Halo 5 Era: CO of REDWATCH Special Forces

Quote Originally Posted by VerbotenDonkey View Post
    It would need ONE usergroup. And if someone joins the Freelancers, they have to understand that it's basically a free-roaming group for people who can't be supremely active like most, however still want to give a hand to the Community as a whole when they have time by helping out the Faction down when they can.
    It's one thing for them to understand what the group is about, it's another thing for them to not abuse it. What do we do if someone active wants to be in it? Where do we draw the line? Do we kick someone out of the group if they play too much?

Virtus Tentamine Gaudet

Banned BANNED USER
    Blog Posts

If we gather the users, make the images and form a base ranking system and also gain a subsection we will.

Hell, I will

Thread Information