Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: kazinsser

Re: Majestic DLC Releases 2.25.13

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Crossfire View Post
    I would disagree. I started my career in Halo 2 with Water works, headlong, Coag, Burial Mounds, Containment, Relic, ect. I've always wanted more big maps in all the other halo games or at least big maps to that caliber. Halo 4 has its share of bigger maps but only 1 with a tank, 2 with a mantis.

Halo for me is 2 tanks per team, 2 banshees, 4 warthogs and 16 players. Basically 2 flag CTF on coag so personally I hope for bigger more vehicular maps for castle.
    I wouldn't know how the Halo 2 maps are because I never owned the original xbox. My whole thing with the map selection is that from an on-foot standpoint, there are very few small maps.

I'm a Halo 3 guy, so I'll speak in terms of that. Here's how I'd judge the map selection after the first map pack (which is where we are now in Halo 4):
    Small-Medium maps: 9
    (Construct, Epitaph, Guardian, Isolation, Narrows, Snowbound, The Pit, Foundry, Cold Storage)
    Large maps: 6
    (High Ground, Last Resort, Sandtrap, Valhalla, Rat's Nest, Standoff)

In comparison to Halo 4:
    Small-Medium maps: 6
    (Abandon, Adrift, Complex, Haven, Solace, Harvest)
    Large maps: 7
    (Exile, Longbow, Meltdown, Ragnarok, Vortex, Shatter, Wreckage)

That being said, I do believe that 343 designed the large Halo 4 maps poorly from a vehicle-usage perspective. The only map with large open spaces are Ragnarok, (a remake) and arguably Vortex. But the fact remains that there are still many big maps that kind of suck for infantry gameplay.

EDIT: Ah, it would seem you detracted your disagreement about my map size ratios before I even finished typing this. Oh well. xD
    Last edited by KazuhLLL; 02-19-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Blog Posts
    Livestreams

Quote Originally Posted by SanguineSpartan View Post
    From what I have seen, I would bet most of this stuff is not in the game because they are hitting the limit of the 360's potential. They are forced to pick and choose what they add now instead of a little of everything. It seems to be a trend with newer games, less functional and more visual. If you think back to it Halo 2 had maps with moving elements on almost every map, at least those that I remember.

Hopefully the next Gen console solves this and gives the freedom back to game developers. I hope they dont get settled in this rut of cutting corners though.
    Agreed. If you spend enough time in forge, you can easily see how much they cut corners (in terms of processor load) on even static objects. The render distance on most objects are pathetically short, and I suspect that the hitbox issues when trying to peek and shoot around rocks in forge is another example of trying to cut corners performance-wise.

Yeah. When I said I disagreed I meant it from a quality standpoint and changed my post to reflect that. It's ok though, I understand your point. There are more maps but they weren't designed that well for vehicles.

*to add*

Most of the big maps aren't quite infantry maps, and not quite vehicle maps. They are some mix in-between and I'm not a fan. I ust hope certain affinity can make some new maps considering I like most of their work.

REDWATCH VETERAN

Quote Originally Posted by KazuhLLL View Post
    Agreed. If you spend enough time in forge, you can easily see how much they cut corners (in terms of processor load) on even static objects. The render distance on most objects are pathetically short, and I suspect that the hitbox issues when trying to peek and shoot around rocks in forge is another example of trying to cut corners performance-wise.
    I agree 100 percent.

I too have noticed the short render distance and at first just thought it was lazy game design, but began to realize that maybe 343i has pushed the 360 to it's limit and is forced to cut corners like that.

I am SO ready for the next gen to come.

RvBR/FC Veteran. 7 years

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Crossfire View Post
    sad to see a lack of big mapa but hey there's always castle.
    The first map pack was all big maps. This game desperately needs new small maps.

I hope the new map pack, team throwdown, and the ranking system will make me want to play this game more.
    Quote Originally Posted by THExSPIDERMAN View Post
    Such is life.

Reach Tage

Blog Posts
    Livestreams

Quote Originally Posted by HighLight View Post
    The first map pack was all big maps. This game desperately needs new small maps.

I hope the new map pack, team throwdown, and the ranking system will make me want to play this game more.
    I was playing team throwdown yesterday with a few BLUEs and we got our asses kicked repeatedly, so maybe you guys can channel your competitive efforts there xD

Blog Posts

The Covenant battle in the background sounds really cool. I'll probably go in forge, and then just watch the battle take place (unless it was uneventful, and the same thing happening over and over again). In Halo 5, I expect a lot more stuff, since it'll be on the next console. But with what 343 can do on the 360, they're doing a pretty good job. This sounds really good.

Blog Posts

I'm excited about the new map pack. I think I'll actually play on these ones.
    I rode here on a mean unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by KazuhLLL View Post
    I was playing team throwdown yesterday with a few BLUEs and we got our asses kicked repeatedly, so maybe you guys can channel your competitive efforts there xD
    That's why you should be playing with some REDDs.
    Quote Originally Posted by THExSPIDERMAN View Post
    Such is life.

Reach Tage

lets hope they aren't as bad as crimson

Thread Information