View Poll Results: Would you like to simplify the RoE?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I just don't get the RoE

11 33.33%
  • Nah, Its fine how it is

15 45.45%
  • Either, It doesn't matter to me as long as we get to fight!

7 21.21%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Rules of Engagement: Confused?

Greetings members of the Forerunner Conflict,

I ask for feedback on our current rules of engagement, and your thoughts of it. Many people turn away from it, and do not bother reading it.

Granted, if you are just an officer or regular soldier, this does not affect you a great deal, but in the past, the rules of engagement and battle map was much more easier to follow. We did not have brigades, auxiliary battles, etc. These things I mention was always a dream I had when we were in halo 2 and 3, but did not have the resources until recently.

We tried many different ways to make the war feel larger then it is. I think we succeeded.

The question I ask is if the community wishes to return the wars to a much simple time? Keep how it is? Or even care. Answer in the poll provided, and comment any suggestion or thoughts on this.

Current Rules of Engagement

Depending on the results, will depend what I bring to the War Council. IF it is voted that you wish to make it more simple, I may bring to the table of bringing back the simple battle map, "Pick and Attack" there will be no troop numbers, brigades, perks, nothing.

Of course, it will lose much dynamics. There are positives and negatives to each situation.

Personally, I am fine with either, but I want the community's opinion.

Re: Rules of Engagement: Confused?

I brought this topic up to Mythonian a month ago about the clearness of the RoE. We both worked together to type up a more detailed version. he had said he was gonig to bring it up in WC back then but I guess he did not. Either way i feel that making the RoE clear and more detailed of the do's and don'ts would help let people know exactly what you guys mean. Also it helps to keep those type of people who look for loops holes to not have any. Basically whatever it says in the RoE should be the rules enforced and we need to know every bit of detail that you guys want from us making it less likely for people to tip toe around them and get away with it.
    "No More Miss Nice Bear Time To Bring Out My Claws"

Useless without Toast Jam Cliché's Avatar
    Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: jamcliche

Now that I understand how it works in practice, I like it very much. It gives the vCash system a lot of purpose, for instance, and on a whole it is not difficult to learn. If I got the hang of it with no previous war experience, I don't think anyone should have a problem.

Real power comes from the man next to you and is built on the foundations of brotherhood and unity. There is no such thing as a one man army.

Elite BLUE Veteran
    Spirit of Hope
    Vacuus Quietis
    Psalms of Planets
    Blog Posts

I know I said we should return to much simpler times, but we continually evolve as a community. I fall either way. either we keep it or change it back, I think everything will still be the same. As I was told earlier, this was for the Field Marshal cause he couldn't play battle nights.
    "I bought a xbox one to watch my team suck in HD"

Blog Posts
    Livestreams

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Sapien View Post
    I know I said we should return to much simpler times, but we continually evolve as a community. I fall either way. either we keep it or change it back, I think everything will still be the same. As I was told earlier, this was for the Field Marshal cause he couldn't play battle nights.
    That makes sense. The Field Marshals get to apply strategy to an otherwise boring job of making attack plans, because they themselves do not get to take part in the attack.

Real power comes from the man next to you and is built on the foundations of brotherhood and unity. There is no such thing as a one man army.

Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: kazinsser

They way it is now, the enlisted and officers that don't care about the details can fight just as effectively as they did back in the days without vCash. Just like on a real battlefield, you don't need to know the details behind every decision (such as why attack a particular map over another). Those like Jam who do choose to know the theory behind the attacks have a much richer experience, and display a drive befit of an officer, without interfering with those who could care less. So I'd say we should just keep it how it is.

Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JamCliche View Post
    That makes sense. The Field Marshals get to apply strategy to an otherwise boring job of making attack plans, because they themselves do not get to take part in the attack.
    Being there to help make attack plans with unlucky, I can say (to me at least) that it is confusing as hell.

You make a mistake about something you didn't know or don't really understand, you can lose a whole map out of it.

I'd like the strategy a lot more, say if we had like a youtube How To video describing how everything works.

I'm right back at it again...

Quote Originally Posted by xXReiBearXx View Post
    I brought this topic up to Mythonian a month ago about the clearness of the RoE. We both worked together to type up a more detailed version. he had said he was gonig to bring it up in WC back then but I guess he did not. Either way i feel that making the RoE clear and more detailed of the do's and don'ts would help let people know exactly what you guys mean. Also it helps to keep those type of people who look for loops holes to not have any. Basically whatever it says in the RoE should be the rules enforced and we need to know every bit of detail that you guys want from us making it less likely for people to tip toe around them and get away with it.
    I think you're making the RoE out to be a document of rules rather than an instruction booklet to a board game. There's nothing to get around in the RoE, really, and there's nothing really to enforce from it.

The RoE isn't hard to read, you just have to take a scholastic approach to it. It's a 4-5 page document, which really isn't that long. I wouldn't mind making a "Rules of Engagement for Dummies" thread to stick somewhere to explain the majority of it, but if you want to understand it, you just have to carefully read it and have patience. There's nothing trick in it. It's really straightforward with:
    -Here's when you can move a brigade
    -Here's the ways you can attack
    -Here's what happens after the battle.
    -Here's how to end the war
    -Here's how your army earns money
    -Here's the shit you can buy
    -Here's some battle night procedures.

Virtus Tentamine Gaudet
    FM For 6 wars spanning 3 generations

Blog Posts
    Livestreams

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
    I think you're making the RoE out to be a document of rules rather than an instruction booklet to a board game. There's nothing to get around in the RoE, really, and there's nothing really to enforce from it.

The RoE isn't hard to read, you just have to take a scholastic approach to it. It's a 4-5 page document, which really isn't that long. I wouldn't mind making a "Rules of Engagement for Dummies" thread to stick somewhere to explain the majority of it, but if you want to understand it, you just have to carefully read it and have patience. There's nothing trick in it. It's really straightforward with:
    -Here's when you can move a brigade
    -Here's the ways you can attack
    -Here's what happens after the battle.
    -Here's how to end the war
    -Here's how your army earns money
    -Here's the shit you can buy
    -Here's some battle night procedures.
    Yes, and beyond this, the way to execute these actions is determined by the strategist.

I'm not really a fan of how maps can be lost through auxiliary battles. It does add another aspect of strategy but I don't really like how maps can be lost without us actually fighting on them. Also where is the Warmap? I really liked being able to view the Warmap in the past.

Making a "Rules of Engagement for Dummies" would be a good idea. That way people who otherwise wouldn't read the RoE might read them in a shortened format.

Thread Information