Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Website Administrator
    Skynet is PARTIALLY ACTIVE
    RIP Cyberdyne
    RIP Net of the Sky

Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: Mythonian

Joel "MedeDust" Ramirez (02/17/94 - 10/19/15)

Joel "MedeDust" Ramirez

It is with great sadness that I learned that good friend and long-time companion of ours, whom we knew as MedeDust, had passed away this morning. Joel had been battling against cancer, a particularly vicious form of Leukemia, and finally passed peacefully early this morning around 8:00 AM EST. Our deepest condolences for his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

I invite everyone here who knew him to share their stories about how you knew Joel, the times you shared with him, and the memories. Hopefully these comments can remain as a collection of how he impacted all of us, and our entire community.

My first interactions with him were when he was leading BLUE alongside Dr Doom when I first joined the community. He was always a light-hearted person who frequently joked, and was always good to have in the party. He was always a graphics guy, making people signature images and avatars, and a wide swath of lore-focused images for the armies. For several years straight he was the primary graphics person for the website, designing banners and usergroups, logos and flags, everything that helped bring this website alive.

He was always one of the most dedicated veterans of our community. He joined back in February of 2008, during the Halo 3 wars, and helped shape this community into what it is. I myself was never one of his closest friends, so I asked Raz, one of the main founders of our community, to say a few words of his own:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz Vader
    The best memories I have with Mededust, was working with him on creating the next set of graphics for the web site, he may have gotten me frustrated at times, but you knew he would always deliver. Back in the day of RvBr and the first days of Forerunner Conflict, Joel was always there to lend his skills in the graphic arts department. He created a lot and continued to create the best stuff for the web site. He worked hard, but you can tell that he has a passion for it. I looked up to him when I started to create my own sigs and avatars. He kicked ass at it.

To all of the friends and family that were close to him: I am sorry for your loss, I hope you find comfort in these words.

“He Is Not Dead

I cannot say, and I will not say
    That he is dead. He is just away.
    With a cheery smile, and a wave of the hand,
    He has wandered into an unknown land
    And left us dreaming how very fair
    It needs must be, since he lingers there.
    And you—oh you, who the wildest yearn
    For an old-time step, and the glad return,
    Think of him faring on, as dear
    In the love of There as the love of Here.
    Think of him still as the same. I say,
    He is not dead—he is just away.”

― James Whitcomb Riley

Rest easy friend. Thank you for everything you did to help make Forerunner Conflict what it is now.

Spartans Never Die.
    If anyone would like to say a few words, please do. Here are a few links as well:

His Facebook profile.
    The original post where we learned of his passing.
    His Introductions thread here.

If anyone wishes to donate in memory of Joel Ramirez, please click here.
    If you donate, please let us know the amount so we can inform the family.

Last edited by Mythonian; 10-19-2015 at 08:35 PM.

Re: Joel "MedeDust" Ramirez (02/17/94 - 10/19/15)

He was the one who originally pushed Kuhblam to give me my first shot in HC back in Reach, and stayed as my LTG my first tenure as FM afterwards. I don't claim to know him like you older vets did, but he did a lot, in the background, that people don't actively notice, and was a great guy.

Would it be appropriate to do some sort of event or memorial for this? Perhaps a donation to a cancer fund in his name? It's truly the least we can do for the hundreds, if not thousands of dollars worth of graphical work he did for us, and years of service.

No one deserves this. Especially not someone like him.
    Last edited by Anarchy; 10-19-2015 at 02:18 PM.

Virtus Tentamine Gaudet
    FM For 6 wars spanning 3 generations

Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
    Would it be appropriate to do some sort of event or memorial for this? Perhaps a donation to a cancer fund in his name? It's truly the least we can do for the hundreds, if not thousands of dollars worth of graphical work he did for us, and years of service.
    I think it would be appropriate, but then again I don't exactly have the greatest judgement for those kind of things. I was never really close to Mede but we would joke around when we were in a party together or shit talk each others football team when they played against one another. I was always impressed by the work he did and thankful for the time put into it for the site. Mede will be missed.

REDD or BLUE Resistance comes through!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythonian View Post
    Silko isn't an innate troublemaker, and doesn't intentionally break the rules.
    Co-Founder of the Resistance
    Undefeated on Reach

Unfortunately I never had the chance to meet him but it's scary how things like this can happen - thoughts and prayers for his family.

Rest in peace, MedeDust.
    Last edited by Barry Soap; 06-19-2016 at 08:56 AM.
    "Different name, same fate."
    Quote Originally Posted by WM Feedback View Post
    I (Feedback) tried to flank them Barry Soap style, but it didn't really work out and I just ended up hiding a lot
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
    Damn you barry, being seductive to all those recruits by painting vivid, purdy imagery with your words.

Rocket Whore
    The Imperial Phoenix
    Professional Teabagger
    Blog Posts

I also cannot claim to have been close with Mede, but we played customs from time to time. As most people will say his graphics work was the best around. He was my absolute favorite artist to make Sigs for me.

When I was REDD FM and HC he was not my first choice for advice on tough decisions but we did speak a few times and he had some very wise words to give me.

Joel had a lot to offer Forerunner Conflict and the world, I and the rest of the community will cherish and honor the memories we have of him.
    Last edited by UNLUCKY NUM13ER; 10-20-2015 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Soap View Post
    Unfortunately I never had the chance to meet him but it's scary how things like this can happen - thoughts and prayers for his family.

Rest in piece, MedeDust.
    same, it saddens me that i never got to become friends with him.

I cannot say much about Mede for I haven't known him for a long time. All I can remember of Mede is what he has done for me and helped me with a while back during Reclamation Wars.

Helped me with my first sig and further more taught me how to create one. Even told me about precursors and how to become one. I truly wish I could've known him a little better and actually soon to see him as a friend than a teacher. I'm truly going to miss you my friend...we all are. Everyone who has been by your side since day one. I don't like goodbyes, not at all. I just want to say, I'll see you again one day.

As someone who is also battling cancer at the moment, I can personally tell you all that Joel fought hard. Harder than many get a chance to. Him and I were diagnosed just 2 month apart and talked a lot then. He had a ruthless type of leukemia that refused to retreat. But he still fought hard. When chemo, radiation, and bone marrow transplants weren't enough he transferred to a research clinic and given immune therapy. This is probably the best part of this tragic event. Immune therapy is in early to mid stages of research but it's extremely promising in allowing the body to fight cancer off on its own without the destructive side effects of chemo. Unfortunately for advancement we require sacrifice. Joel was one of many to be sacrificed to hopefully save millions one day.

God damn was he a bad ass. And had a fucking awesome attitude all the way through. I'm gonna miss him.
    Last edited by RENGADE 0F FUNK; 10-24-2015 at 09:11 AM.
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.

Animus 4 Ever
    SpcX
    Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: jamidj

i met Mede during my time here in FC; he let me in on the April Fools Day prank when the whole site went Purple; he also made some graphics for me and let me assist him on the WarMap once; My thoughts and prayers go out to his family during this difficult time;
    ۰۪۫J۰۰۪۫a۰۰۪۫m۰۰۪۫i ۰۰۪۫e۰۰۪۫D۰۰۪۫ J۰Purple Army Elite Trooper
    What We Do In Life, Echos in Eternity.

Fabled Legendary Member
    I Like Turtles!
    I Live in an Igloo!
    Blog Posts

This is surreal. Had no idea that Mede was going through this battle. Over the years I got to know Joel fairly well yet this was one thing that I had never known or would have never guessed. It really goes to show his selfless nature that he was very private about his illness (only telling a few people online) as he didn't want to cause others pain or have special treatment on the site.

I know most of you will remember him for his great graphic work, but you should also remember him as a very humorous and easygoing guy. He was always one to crack jokes. It really saddens me to hear of his passing.

My condolences to his family and to anyone in Legacy who were much closer friends to him then I was and may be taking this news hard.
    "Do you guys know how hard it is to masturbate with you all talking!" - UNLUCKY

Former Field Marshal of both the REDD and BLUE
    Creator of 21st Degree and the Resistance
    7 victories fought and lead

Thread Information